Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

We had a GRAND trip to Disneyland! March 2014 TR NEW 7/29 p.12

Hi everyone!
Well, here we go again! Wait, not AGAIN! This is our first family trip to DISNEYLAND!!!

We are veterans of more than 10 visits to Disney World, and have gone on 4 Disney cruises, but we’ve never been to Disneyland. Well, I have, but it’s been long enough that I don’t remember much, and there was only the one park last time I was there! It occurred to me that I wasn’t much older than my oldest daughter when I was there last.
Want to hear all about it?

I thought so!

Do you know us?

Me – Sheree – the certified Disney geek/fan! I am a government attorney by day and taxi driver by night (not really!) I do feel like I do a lot of driving! My DH introduced me to WDW after we were married, and my first ever visit to Florida was in June 1999.

DH – Dave – I like to “blame” him for my Disney obsession! His family lived in FL when WDW was new, and apparently they all fell in love – most of them are big WDW fans too. He’s a mailman by day and works at the arena selling merchandise for concerts, and Vikings games too. He planned the bulk of this trip!

Our two beautiful daughters!
Sarah – turned into a teenager on this trip!! YIKES! And she will not stop reminding us that she is a teen now. She’s a straight A student, loves animals and dance! She’s on competition, started pointe in ballet this fall and is doing awesome!

Paige - She just turned 11 and is in 5th grade. She is also an awesome student – math whiz! – and is a competitive dancer. That’s where my taxi goes virtually every weeknight – the dance studio!

Last summer we were lucky enough to take a road trip out to Vancouver where we caught the Disney Wonder on a 7 night cruise to Alaska! While I failed to do a TR for that trip – it was amazing and fun and we decided after that to keep exploring new Disney vacation sites.

We are DVC members, so we knew we would want to stay at the Grand Californian when we went to Disneyland. We decided that our relatively early spring break would be a good time to try it. The trick was to get the reservation right at the 7 month mark – we needed a studio (based on our small amount of available points) and there aren’t too many of those!
But we got it!!!

One of our family goals is to have the girls (and us) set foot in all 50 states! We’ve done a fair amount already, but hadn’t ventured west at all until last summer. So to make sure we get at least two states in on this trip, Dave had a plan. Fly to Las Vegas and drive to Anaheim. We could go see Hoover Dam and cross the border to Arizona and then we’d get 3 states on this trip! Turns out, flights from here to Vegas are fairly cheap and run at better times than flights to LA.

So – here’s the plan for this trip:

Thursday March 6
Fly from MN to Las Vegas
Spend one night at a hotel south of town (not on the strip)

Friday March 7
Get up and drive WEST to Disneyland!
Start our 5 night stay at the Grand Californian

Saturday March 8 – Tuesday March 11
Visit the parks, go to the beach, celebrate Sarah’s 13th birthday
Have breakfast at Storyteller’s Café on Sunday
Have dinner at Steakhouse 55 on Monday

Wednesday March 12 – Thursday March 13
Drive back to Vegas, see Hoover Dam, look around at the big hotels on the strip, surprise the kids and have dinner at Buddy V’s restaurant (anyone familiar with Cake Boss?)

Friday March 14
Head home

Please join me on our California Adventure!

Last edited by Mndisneygirl; 07-29-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: title update
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here...back to read in a bit. Thanks for heads up.

***I'm back. I love the intros Sheree. I adore Mickey and Minnie's outfits from the cruise.

I can't believe how those girls of yours are growing.

I'm anxious to read all about it as we are doing a first ever Disneyland trip next year.

Last edited by KatMark; 04-05-2014 at 05:52 PM.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yay!!!!! Really looking forward to this!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
wakica
DIS Veteran

Love trip reports!!
This will be our first trip to DL and we usually do WDW as well.

I can't wait to hear all about your trip :D

Me dh dd(16)
wakica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

joining in....I just started mine too, but I haven't put the link in my signature yet
Edit...it's now in my signature!

Last edited by jenseib; 04-06-2014 at 12:04 PM.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Subbing, I'm a Disney addict and DL AP holder living in Vegas so I can't wait to hear your opinion on both.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Joining in !!!!

Going back in the fall so can't wait to read up and do it better this time!!!!
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read this and revisit Disneyland!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
uncw89
DIS Veteran

I'm here and cant't wait to hear your opinions on DL and DCA!! I loved them and can't wait to go back sometime!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm here...back to read in a bit. Thanks for heads up.

***I'm back. I love the intros Sheree. I adore Mickey and Minnie's outfits from the cruise.

I can't believe how those girls of yours are growing.

I'm anxious to read all about it as we are doing a first ever Disneyland trip next year.
And she's first!! YAY! Hi Kathy and
Thank you - Sarah keeps checking to see if she's taller than me yet. Not that that is much of an accomplishment, but when you're 13…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yay!!!!! Really looking forward to this!
Mary Ellen! Glad you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
so joining in! Love the pic from the cruise
Thanks and Those pics are all from our Alaska cruise - so many good ones! The family shot is my cover photo on FB too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
Love trip reports!!
This will be our first trip to DL and we usually do WDW as well.

I can't wait to hear all about your trip :D
I hope I can give you some good info! Let me know if you have any questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
joining in....I just started mine too, but I haven't put the link in my signature yet
Edit...it's now in my signature!
Hi Jen! I'll have to pop over to yours and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
Subbing, I'm a Disney addict and DL AP holder living in Vegas so I can't wait to hear your opinion on both.
Ooh, cool! I might need your help if I forget something! You probably know a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Joining in !!!!

Going back in the fall so can't wait to read up and do it better this time!!!!
Hi Pat!! It really is fun - you'll be so experienced, you probably won't need much from me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Can't wait to read this and revisit Disneyland!
Hey Lady!! I'm looking forward to reliving it as well! Feel free to chime in and tell us what you did too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncw89 View Post
I'm here and cant't wait to hear your opinions on DL and DCA!! I loved them and can't wait to go back sometime!
Hi!! We really had a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I am here!!!!!!!!!

Love the intro's, your girls are so wonderful.

Can't wait to hear about your trip, we will be there in TWO weeks (from yesterday, not that I am counting or anything lol).
Hi Cynthia!
Thank you - the girls keep changing so fast, growing up…I'm feeling like so much is going on faster than I'm quite prepared for. But it's mostly good, so I'm not complaining!
Woohoo! Your trip is coming soon and then you have WDW in May too! You are so lucky! As much fun as I had at DL, I still feel the pull back to WDW soon! By the time we get back it will be over 2 years since our last visit! Too long for me, but at least I got to do a lot of other stuff too!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Joining the fun and looking forward to your report.

The girls are becoming beautiful young ladies, and have really grown since your last report.

I was hoping for a Alaska Cruise report, I need hints for my trip in 2015. The pictures look like you had a fun time.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Joining the fun and looking forward to your report.

The girls are becoming beautiful young ladies, and have really grown since your last report.

I was hoping for a Alaska Cruise report, I need hints for my trip in 2015. The pictures look like you had a fun time.
I can certainly help with Alaska hints! Feel free to ask any questions too. I can maybe throw in a quick summary!

Thank you - they do change so much during these "tween to teen" years!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Hi!! I am here!! Now, back to read it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: