Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Rebeccaparker2011
Earning My Ears

Is The Disneyland hotel worth the money?

Or should I save it and stay somewhere else? I have two under two and a seven year old. Is parking that much of a hassle?
Rebeccaparker2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

the word "worth" does not get one far here - as everyone does a different cost/benefit analysis when it comes to staying onsite vs. offsite.

if you are going when it's low crowds it is likely not worth it as much as if you were going when it's going to be super busy and you want to take advantage of early entry

if you are going to take mid day naps then being closer definitely helps

if you plan to stay off site to the point where you have to drive - that to me is almost madness, but we always stay across on Harbour as we love the Kids Suites at the HOJO but if we were to return for a shorter say 4 or 5 night stay, then I would highly consider staying on site. Our last three trips have been between 8 and 11 nights though, so the cost adds up pretty fast.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at each onsite hotel once to splurge and get it out of our system. All three are nice, but to us, not worth the cost. We can take two trips staying across the street each year versus one onsite, doesn't add up for us.

You can get a nice suite across the street for about half the price of a normal room at the DL or GCH and several are a pretty short walk if you need to go back to the room for a break.

It is one of those things where you just kind of have to experience it at least once and make an informed decision based on your circumstances and expectations on trips to the Land if it is worth it to you.
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Rebeccaparker2011
Earning My Ears

Thank you! I don't mind spending the money to have a good time, but I don't want to be wasteful. Sounds like staying across the street within walking distance is the best option. Are there crosswalks near by?
Rebeccaparker2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

To me, no. This month I stayed 7 nights at the Tropicana across the street from Disneyland. It is technically just as close if not closer to the DL turnstiles as the on site properties are. And my total for the stay? $642 (granted I got a great deal on a promotion, but even regular price would have been about 950). For the price i paid I could barely get 2 nights, if even, depending on the resort hotel. For full price I barely would get 3, MAYBE 4 if at Paradise Pier but doubtful during the busy spring break time.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccaparker2011
Thank you! I don't mind spending the money to have a good time, but I don't want to be wasteful. Sounds like staying across the street within walking distance is the best option. Are there crosswalks near by?

Yes, the crosswalk on Harbor is directly in front of Captain Kids Buffet (don't eat there) which is next door to Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana and Park Vue.
I'd personally consider any hotel between Hojo and Park Vue as the walk is under 10 minutes from all.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Yes.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
Yes.
I'll second this!!!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
whoever
DIS Veteran

Not sure about DLH, but the Grand sure is... and queue heated discussion...
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

This is a very subjective question.

This is a bucket list item for me, and we are diligently saving and will spend 5 nights there in November. But after that we have no plans to stay there again, as the hotels on Harbor are just fine and about 1/3 the price (or less!) and just as close proximity.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
seagodess
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed onsite, but I think it depends on your families needs and wants.

For my family, we dont use the hotel for anything more then sleeping and showering, so no it wouldn't be worth it for us. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a hotel, its going to be at a place where the hotel is my main focus. When I go to DL, DL is my main focus. Plus, money is tight for us. So the less money we spend, the more we can come back or do other things.

If your family spends a lot of time in the hotel and money isn't a issue, then give it a shot. It may be worth it for you.

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
ClosetDisneyJunkie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagodess View Post
I have never stayed onsite, but I think it depends on your families needs and wants.

For my family, we dont use the hotel for anything more then sleeping and showering, so no it wouldn't be worth it for us. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a hotel, its going to be at a place where the hotel is my main focus. When I go to DL, DL is my main focus. Plus, money is tight for us. So the less money we spend, the more we can come back or do other things.

If your family spends a lot of time in the hotel and money isn't a issue, then give it a shot. It may be worth it for you.
I tend to agree with this: if the kids are wanting to hit the pool and slides, etc., then DLH has some pretty great stuff. If the hotel is truly just a place to sleep at the end of the night, then it might be less worthwhile.

The service at DLH (for me, last time i stayed there) is pretty fantastic though. I was upgraded to a nicer room at no cost without even asking, everyone working there was a delight from check-in to valet to the woman working in the gift shop. If you want to have a Disney vacation where you really don't "leave" Disney (which appeals to me but may not to others, heh), then an onsite hotel might be a good option.
ClosetDisneyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

I would like to offer another angle. As a family of four or five, you may be able to get a bigger room for the same money offsite, which may be important with the toddlers. They won't really care either way.

HOWEVER, I would like to advocate for your seven year old!

From their perspective, the Disneyland Hotel is likely to be super magically awesome, especially if this person is a girl. The lobby is fun and Disneyified, the rooms are pretty magical, and they generally have a fun view. Also with two toddlers that will likely need naps in the afternoon, the DLH would be a fun place to retreat to for the older sibling. The pool is great, it is next to Downtown Disney, characters are sometimes in the lobby, special TV channels for kids (such as nightly storytime with the princesses), character wake-up calls, and other special touches.

If you have the funds that won't be missed (if it means giving up something else), then I recommend it if for no other reason than giving your seven year old a special time of their own.

Good luck and have fun!
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
nannyz
DIS Veteran

For me, just because I can afford to do or buy something, does not mean that I should.
I believe that the Disney hotels are expensive to the point of insult, so I have never stayed in any of them. I do not know what I am missing, so it does not bother me. We have always had a wonderful stay at HoJo.
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
seagodess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyz View Post
For me, just because I can afford to do or buy something, does not mean that I should.
I believe that the Disney hotels are expensive to the point of insult, so I have never stayed in any of them. I do not know what I am missing, so it does not bother me. We have always had a wonderful stay at HoJo.
I agree. For the prices they charge for 1 night most of the year, some people can pay a whole months mortgage. To me, no hotel would be worth that much. However I have found that they have really good deals during dapper days. I found that the DLH (which is the only disney hotel i'm interested in)can be under $200 a night. So I may try that some day.

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: