Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #1231
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

I am in the same situation as some others here as I bailed on WL because of the pool refurb and bit the bullet (thanks Disney for no help) to upgrade to GF. We have never stayed here before but we are so excited to try something new.

Quick room question in general - we have an outer building garden view room. We don't care so much about location but more about quiet at night. Are the GF pretty quiet in general? How close are the outer buildings to the main pool? A little noise is normal ( and we sleep with white noise, the best thing ever invented other than pineapple Dole Whip) but I'm just curious about how well the rooms are insulated from noise.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #1232
mandi1505
Earning My Ears

We need your help. I have read that in april started the rooms renovation in Sago Cay building. Does anybody knows if all rooms of this building are with the new decoration?. And the rest of the buildings?
Our trip is for 28 august and we want to be in a refurbished room, if no we prefer postpone the trip for nest year.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #1233
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
I am in the same situation as some others here as I bailed on WL because of the pool refurb and bit the bullet (thanks Disney for no help) to upgrade to GF. We have never stayed here before but we are so excited to try something new.

Quick room question in general - we have an outer building garden view room. We don't care so much about location but more about quiet at night. Are the GF pretty quiet in general? How close are the outer buildings to the main pool? A little noise is normal ( and we sleep with white noise, the best thing ever invented other than pineapple Dole Whip) but I'm just curious about how well the rooms are insulated from noise.
I'm sorry about you having to change from the WL, but I think you made a good choice with the GF . The GF is a beautiful resort and while we love the WL, we also love the GF. I think the GF is pretty quiet overall and the resort isn't that spread out so while some of the outer buildings are closer to the main areas than others, none of them are that far away. My two favorites for GV are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica as both overlook the courtyard pool and are very close to the main building and beach pool. With that said, if you are looking for a more quiet area, I think Sago Cay would be a good choice. It is located over by the convention center so it's a little quieter than others and although it isn't as close to the main building and beach pool as BPK and BC, it isn't far. I hope you area able to enjoy your stay as the GF really is an amazing resort .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi1505 View Post
We need your help. I have read that in april started the rooms renovation in Sago Cay building. Does anybody knows if all rooms of this building are with the new decoration?. And the rest of the buildings?
Our trip is for 28 august and we want to be in a refurbished room, if no we prefer postpone the trip for nest year.
AFAIK, the room refurbs have been on schedule since they started and all of the outer buildings (except SL) should pretty much be completed (or will be completed soon), so I think you are safe with getting a new room in August. SL (outer building CL) was due to start 6/1, with the main building being the last to be done, with a start date of 6/29 .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #1234
B52
Earning My Ears

Carry on Luggage check-in?

Will be staying in the GF this coming August....we will be using the provided transportation from the airport to the resort, and our luggage will be delivered to our room....
We will getting to the resort around 10am, and will head straight to the MK as soon as possible...and return later when room is ready, and have dinner at the resort.

My question is...what do we do with our carry on luggage? Does GF have a temp. luggage check until your room is ready?

Also, since I'm posting....we will be staying in a Lagoon View room...which building would that be???
Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #1235
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
HAHA....Yes. I saw the menu on allears. I am psyched! I LOVE sweet potato fries. So tasty and a nice change from the typical sides.
I'm excited, too, even though we don't eat at Gasparilla's that often, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Yea french fries! LOL...you are all sweet for checking! The people on this thread are so nice!

I am pretty sure the pool bar is on the meal plan bec it's on the PDF about DDP from Disney - just trying to figure out why the online menu says it's not!

Another question - do people tend to be more "dressed" in this hotel - like khakis, dresses, etc for ladies. Just curious! My parents were just there and said that but it sounds kind of odd for a Disney hotel (aside from in the restaurants).
As mickeynut said, you will see all sorts of clothing at the GF, just as you do in the parks and other resorts. Don't worry, you will fit in no matter what you pack. Nobody cares, the GF is a Victorian themed resort but the guests there are regular Disney lovers, for the most part. It is a convention resort, so you may see people dressed in suits, but those people are pretty easy to spot. They are usually hurrying to a meeting, with a briefcase or clipboard.

My guess is your parents saw people who were waiting for dinner reservations and/or weddings. This is very common in the Grand Lobby, but that doesn't mean guests should feel under dressed in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Yes those are most definitely DP icons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Great find . I was thinking we had fries last time we were there, but it's been a few years and with all of the changes Disney has been making lately, I didn't know for sure and didn't want to give out incorrect information. Thanks for the pic (and proof ).

LOL about being so excited about your find .
Funny, the things that make me giddy.

I'm with you, I knew we had ff's there in the past but with all the changes, I didn't want to give out bad info. I hate for people to be looking for something, saying "I know the DISers SAID it was here!"

Quote:

If you look at the map in the first post of this thread, you will see all the outer buildings except Sago are centered around the courtyard pool. Both pools at the Grand have extra features, so neither is really the "main pool" per se - the Beach Pool is a little out of the way, and it has the slide and pool activities.

We have never had an issue with noise, but we don't take a nap mid-day. As mickeynut posted, Sago Cay is the quietest building, being away from the courtyard, with its pool and walkways from the boat, etc.

Quote:
As has been posted, the outer buildings should all be finished now, with the exception of Sugar Loaf (all club level), and even that will likely be finished by early July. After that, the only rooms left are those in the Main Building, RPC, which is all club level.

Quote:

AFAIK, the room refurbs have been on schedule since they started and all of the outer buildings (except SL) should pretty much be completed (or will be completed soon), so I think you are safe with getting a new room in August. SL (outer building CL) was due to start 6/1, with the main building being the last to be done, with a start date of 6/29 .
I agree, I think everyone is pretty safe to assume they will have a new room right now, unless they are booking club level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52 View Post
Will be staying in the GF this coming August....we will be using the provided transportation from the airport to the resort, and our luggage will be delivered to our room....
We will getting to the resort around 10am, and will head straight to the MK as soon as possible...and return later when room is ready, and have dinner at the resort.

My question is...what do we do with our carry on luggage? Does GF have a temp. luggage check until your room is ready?

Also, since I'm posting....we will be staying in a Lagoon View room...which building would that be???
Welcome, glad you've joined us!

Yes, you will be able to check your carry on bags with Bell Services and head on to the park. When you return to your room, just call and they will deliver to you. However, don't be surprised if your room is ready when you arrive, the resorts are now doing a "rooms ready" type of assigning, we often are able to get in our room in the morning. No guarantees, of course.

Lagoon views are scattered among several buildings, most likely Big Pine Key or Boca Chica. Both are well located and have lovely views of the lagoon.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 06-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #1236
j&j620
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Please accept our deepest sympathy on the loss of your husband's grandfather. I'm so glad you can take comfort knowing he'd be so happy you'll be spending time at his favorite resort. Looks like it was meant to be.
Caring thoughts are with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's grandfather's passing. I hope the wonderful, loving memories you all have of him will bring you a sense of peace in the coming weeks, and the new memories you make at the Grand will be a comfort. It sounds like your choice would have been met with approval!

You are correct, there has been extensive renovations to the grounds and rooms in the last 2 years. Hopefully, there won't be any major projects during your upcoming stay!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask - it's why we're here.
Quote:
I'm so sorry about the passing of your DH's grandfather . I think you and your DH staying at the GF was meant to be. I know you both will make some great new memories while your DH remembers all of the great times he spent there with his grandfather .
Thank you so much for all of your kind words. Everyone is so nice here!

No ticker for me

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
Old 06-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #1237
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52 View Post

As k&a&c'smom posted, you can leave your carry on's with bell services and head off to the park. When you return, you can either stop by bell services and get your bags or you can call them from your room and they will bring your bags to you .

Quote:
Funny, the things that make me giddy.

I'm with you, I knew we had ff's there in the past but with all the changes, I didn't want to give out bad info. I hate for people to be looking for something, saying "I know the DISers SAID it was here!"

I agree about not wanting people to be looking for something that might not be there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by j&j620 View Post
You are very welcome . Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have as everyone is very friendly here .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1238
TxTiggergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As k&a&c'smom posted, you can leave your carry on's with bell services and head off to the park. When you return, you can either stop by bell services and get your bags or you can call them from your room and they will bring your bags to you . I agree about not wanting people to be looking for something that might not be there . You are very welcome . Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have as everyone is very friendly here .
Speaking of leaving carry-ons with bell services, do y'all feel confident leaving electronics like iPads with them? I can see how we might need to leave carry-ons both upon arrival & on departure day. I left them at the Yacht Club & didn't really "worry" about it, maybe just felt a twinge of uneasiness. I am assuming the Grand would have a similar set up. Just wanted to get a feel for how others felt about it.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #1239
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiggergal View Post
Speaking of leaving carry-ons with bell services, do y'all feel confident leaving electronics like iPads with them? I can see how we might need to leave carry-ons both upon arrival & on departure day. I left them at the Yacht Club & didn't really "worry" about it, maybe just felt a twinge of uneasiness. I am assuming the Grand would have a similar set up. Just wanted to get a feel for how others felt about it.
We've never had any problems. When we leave our electronics, I ask the Bell Services guys to lock them up - we've even gone back in the luggage room, and seen them locked in a cage.

However, if I had sensitive info (work, especially) on my laptop, I probably wouldn't leave it with anyone.

HTH!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #1240
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK! I found a review of the new incarnation of Gasparilla Island Grill, here's the link.

About a third of the way down, under the photos of the menus, where they describe adult side options, it says "fries are also available"!

Hi, mickeynut!! I almost missed your wave, I was so excited about my find.
I loved the new Gasparillas!! Without the arcade it is much more pleasant. The pool bar menu looks really good. Crab cake sandwich, yum! I was going to try pool bar last year but never got around to it.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #1241
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Did my FP picks!! And on line check in for SL, where we'll be our first 2 nights! Tomorrow I'll do my next check in for GV room in Outer Building. I am going to request Boca Chica again. Loved our room/view there!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 06-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #1242
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We've never had any problems. When we leave our electronics, I ask the Bell Services guys to lock them up - we've even gone back in the luggage room, and seen them locked in a cage.

However, if I had sensitive info (work, especially) on my laptop, I probably wouldn't leave it with anyone.

HTH!
With 40+ stays from POP Century to GF we have never had problems with electronics. However they do have lockers by the pool and at the parks if you want more control of your stuff. (Most pools have a locker area for day use with locks.)

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #1243
Gitts2008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
We've stayed in a roll in shower room in Sugar Loaf three different stays. Loved it. Our last stay was a number of years ago now but at that time, there was a love seat instead of sleeper couch. As a result, the room sleeps only four. The bathroom is lovely. Have a great time.
Thanks :-). I want my mom to be as comfortable and safe as possible. silly of me to worry about bathrooms

My room should have 2 queen beds and a day bed. I hope since my 12 yo doesn't want to share beds anymore.

Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #1244
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just spent a nice chunk of my afternoon reading through this whole thread

We recently made the switch from WL to GF after hearing about the pool situation. We had originally wanted Poly and decided to go with WL instead because of the construction, so I'm hoping we haven't just jinxed all of our fellow September travelers at GF! Although, I'm thinking we'll be OK since GF just went through some extensive construction projects

I've never stayed at GF before, but DH did when he was younger. His grandparents took their whole family several times and I loved listening to his grandfather tell me stories about their trips. He loved GF!

On the same day that we decided to switch resorts, we got a phone call that DH's grandfather passed away. This may be silly, but I've taken comfort in knowing that we will be staying at his favorite resort. DH will be able to reminisce about good times with his grandfather while we make new memories together.

Anywho, thanks for all of the wonderful information!
So sorry about your loss...Seems that the GF will be just the right place for your trip...

Quote:

I think that the rooms are well insulated in general...but as Mickeynut said Sago is a bit more removed from all of the action..and in a bit of a quieter location...I would also request to be in a non connecting room...this would also help cut down on any extra outside noise..

Quote:
With the exception of the CL buildings..Sugar Loaf and the Main building..all of the outer building at the GF have been refurbished... so you will be in a refubished room for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiggergal View Post
As k&a&c'smom has said..we have just asked for our electronics to be locked up...and they then are stored in a separate locked area...they will also give you a separate claim ticket for those items...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Did my FP picks!! And on line check in for SL, where we'll be our first 2 nights! Tomorrow I'll do my next check in for GV room in Outer Building. I am going to request Boca Chica again. Loved our room/view there!
Hope that you got all of your FPP pics!!

Mickeynut How are you doing..hope that you are feeling all better!

k&a&c'smom Happy to see you back and posting regularly again!!

~ I know that I promised more of a food review from our trip...forgive me for dropping the ball... Cause it is always about the food... Here are a few things I wanted to add tho... Beside no chocolate covered strawberries..there are still no pecan sticky buns..but they did add a wonderful "brioche" bread to the breakfast offereings...a lite and very tasty kind of sweet bread...delicious!

~ My BB saga....booked a BB during our recent trip...I bet you all can guess where... But..we had to change our dates a bit...and... no GF CL available for the dates we needed... Imagine!! We were offered a few alternatives..and decided to go with the Poly!!! Yes Mickeynut you read that right!!!!....I know so many Poly and now WL peeps have been jumping ship...and booking the GF...no wonder I couldn't get a room...!!! lol...

Truly construction is not an issue for us...we stayed at the GF thru all phases of the recent VGF and pool construction and never regretted it... We also visited..aka snooped all around the Poly recently...and although I did miss the lovely lush green lobby..and waterfall...I think that they did a fine job with the walls..and rearrangement of things..JMO..YMMV????

So Poly CL here we come....

I know that I should be on the Poly thread asking questions...but..so many Poly fans around that I figure I can just ask here where I feel at home !! So.... question number one....what floor do you prefer..and why??? Thats it for now...

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Sunday!!! preppy GF gal who is gonna be a Poly princess....lol...

Last edited by BlueSkies; 06-22-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #1245
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I loved the new Gasparillas!! Without the arcade it is much more pleasant.
Me too!!! I haven't seen it in person, but just from the pics, I love it. We hated sitting there when the arcade was in there....it was just too noisy and chaotic . I'm so glad they decided to get the games out of there and put in more seating .

Quote:
Hope you got everything you wanted . Yay for doing OCI ....bet it makes your trip seem even closer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitts2008 View Post
Thanks :-). I want my mom to be as comfortable and safe as possible. silly of me to worry about bathrooms

My room should have 2 queen beds and a day bed. I hope since my 12 yo doesn't want to share beds anymore.

Thanks again.
Not silly at all.....you just want your mom to be comfortable/safe .

Most rooms at the GF have a daybed, with only a few dormer rooms that do not (although, I think with the refurb, those may have a daybed now too ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Mickeynut How are you doing..hope that you are feeling all better!

~ I know that I promised more of a food review from our trip...forgive me for dropping the ball... Cause it is always about the food... Here are a few things I wanted to add tho... Beside no chocolate covered strawberries..there are still no pecan sticky buns..but they did add a wonderful "brioche" bread to the breakfast offereings...a lite and very tasty kind of sweet bread...delicious!

~ My BB saga....booked a BB during our recent trip...I bet you all can guess where... But..we had to change our dates a bit...and... no GF CL available for the dates we needed... Imagine!! We were offered a few alternatives..and decided to go with the Poly!!! Yes Mickeynut you read that right!!!!....I know so many Poly and now WL peeps have been jumping ship...and booking the GF...no wonder I couldn't get a room...!!! lol...

Truly construction is not an issue for us...we stayed at the GF thru all phases of the recent VGF and pool construction and never regretted it... We also visited..aka snooped all around the Poly recently...and although I did miss the lovely lush green lobby..and waterfall...I think that they did a fine job with the walls..and rearrangement of things..JMO..YMMV????

So Poly CL here we come....

I know that I should be on the Poly thread asking questions...but..so many Poly fans around that I figure I can just ask here where I feel at home !! So.... question number one....what floor do you prefer..and why??? Thats it for now...
Hi Blue ...I'm feeling alot better, thanks!!

I am still bummed about the sticky buns....those were my favorite......wish they didn't take those away .

Congrats on booking your first Poly CL stay (but I am sorry GF CL wasn't available). I haven't stayed CL at the Poly, but I do know that the second floor rooms do not have balconies, so if a patio or balcony is important to you, be sure to request first or third floor .

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: