Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #1156
stone0990
Mouseketeer

First Stay at GFR...Room Request??

Hi!!

I have just booked our very first stay at GF for the end of September...SO EXCITED!!!

I booked Standard Room--RPC! I would LOVE to have some type of water view...and maybe a smidge of a theme park view?? Is this even possible? But defininitely would love a water view for sure....Seven Seas Lagoon or Beach Pool!! What should I specifically request as far as location for that?

We aren't as concerned with close proximity to lounge area!

Also, will the rooms be finished by the end of September? (We arrive on September 23)

TIA!! (I still can't believe we are actually staying at the Grand!!!!!)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #1157
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Hello fellow GF fans! Things have been kind of hectic around here...and have interfered with my DIS time...

Really just skimmed...but wanted to say H!III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGiraffe View Post
Thanks. That link's sending me to another GF post, though, but might just be my iPad. Will check on the laptop later.

But I was wondering if there was a general place for DTD threads and posts? Like this GF one is in the Resorts section.

I see that k&a&c's mom is on the lookout for you! We went to DTD this past trip...bus service going was great...didnt wait long at all..dont ask about the return though...lol.....Loved the new Co-Op store... It is attached to the Trend D store...so not hard to find... found lots lof stuff that we "needed"...I bet you will too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBellLiz View Post
Hello everyone!

I've just recently found this site and it is FULL of so much wonderful information. Thanks to all for the effort put in here!

We have a 10 day Grand Floridian visit planned for our 30th Anniversary in October. The last detail we need to do is request a room type. We currently have reserved the Concierge Deluxe King, main building and there are apparently 2 types of these rooms.

Do any of ya'll have an idea of where the turret rooms are located and what floor they are on? Are these larger than the other rooms? What are your opinions on both types and what would your preference be?

Thanks for any information and help!

Liz
WELCOME Liz! What a wonderful way to spend your 30th anniversary! You are right there are two types of deluxe king rooms...the turret rooms seem to be most peoples favorite...certainly ours... They are located right off the atrium on the third forth and fifth floors of the main building...and have views of either the courtyard..or the front of the main building...I would say a monorail view! Be aware though..that these rooms have no balconies....I am sure others who have stayed in them..and I think that there a several regular posters here who have will be able to chime in and add more info!

The other deluxe king rooms are located on the second floor..right over Gasparilla's..and do have a balcony..a MK view...but are quite a bit away from the lounge...

scmommy The GF is absolutely beautiful in all of its Christmas finery! Between the magnificent tree..and the life size gingerbread house....which BTW smells sooooo good...But..the lobby is far more crowded at this time of year than any other...still...very very nice!

MickeyNut Hope that you are feeling better!

k&a&c'smom Good to see you back... You are always missed when you are not around!!

grannnieminnie Have a fab weekend!! Forgive me for not getting on with my mini TR..especially the food stuff..soon..I promise....I know its always all about the food!!

ahcupcake, wishes, MommyGina,pas,abk,Candy, Trisha..and all the rest of my fellow GF fans...

I am still doing the floridian frown....and seriously having lounge withdrawl...lol...

~ Just some quick additions to my mini..drawn out TR..lol...I did notice that the GF Society Orchestra is looking very good in their new uniforms...medium blue vests..and a rusty brown color slacks...kind of like those Gaspies colors... Hope that we will be seeing more of these colors!! Especially the blue..lol.. and Basin seems to have added quite a few new soaps...Gotta love new soaps!

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1158
TinkerBellLiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Welcome to the DIS and the GF FAQ! Glad you found us.

The deluxe king rooms do have 2 types. Here is the description we have on page 1:

There are two room types within the Main Building/Deluxe/King category. These include the 6 turret rooms located in the towers of the main building, and the second floor (Clarendon Level) honeymoon rooms. The second floor honeymoon rooms are approximately the same size as the standard rooms, have a Jacuzzi tub and a balcony with views of the MK, but no wet bar or walk-in closet. Turret rooms are larger than the Jacuzzi rooms, but do not have the Jacuzzi tub or private balcony. Instead, you'll find a spectacular view with windows all the way around the suite, walk in closet and a garden tub.

There is only the turret king deluxe, I think - the other photos are of the deluxe queen.

As stated, the rectangular rooms are all on the 2nd floor; the turret rooms are located on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors, in the corners of the Beach Pool end of the Main Bldg. Three are over the M. Mouse Mercantile shop area, the other three over the Summer Lace (1st floor)/Commander Porter's (2nd floor) area.

We prefer the turret rooms, as we like the layout and the extra closet space, not to mention the location near the lobby atrium. Many people prefer the 2nd floor rectangular rooms, as they have a Jacuzzi tub and balcony over Gasparilla's, with a view of the castle. Personal preference, really, both rooms have their pros!

HTH! If you have more questions, just ask.
Thank you so much for the reply and thank you for the link. That is actually where I found out there was more than 1 room type!

Just a couple more questions although I think I've made up my mind which I like!

You said the rectangular rooms are on the 2nd floor. I was under the impression after reading the RPC section all club level rooms were on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floors. Are these type the exception since they are on the 2nd floor and also have club access?

When we stayed at GF Sugarloaf last year we inquired about the "Deluxe King Rooms" and we were told they were larger and therefore didn't have MK views: the trade off for having more room. Going on this conversation I thought all the rooms were the same. Based on what you are saying, the rectangular rooms ALL have MK view OR a Turret with more room and no MK view. I guess I'm just easily confused!

I tend to do a lot of shopping so I think I'll request the Turret with more room. Both types seem awesome so I'm sure I won't be disappointed regardless!

Again thank you for the help.

Liz
Old 06-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #1159
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone0990 View Post
Hi!!

I have just booked our very first stay at GF for the end of September...SO EXCITED!!!

I booked Standard Room--RPC! I would LOVE to have some type of water view...and maybe a smidge of a theme park view?? Is this even possible? But defininitely would love a water view for sure....Seven Seas Lagoon or Beach Pool!! What should I specifically request as far as location for that?

We aren't as concerned with close proximity to lounge area!

Also, will the rooms be finished by the end of September? (We arrive on September 23)

TIA!! (I still can't believe we are actually staying at the Grand!!!!!)
Welcome! How exciting you've booked your first GF stay - and in RPC, no less!

The room renovations should be completed by your trip, they start next month and most buildings seem to be taking about a month each.

You have a good chance of getting a water view; pretty much zero chance of the "smidge of a theme park view"! Most of the std. RPC rooms overlook the courtyard pool, with some of the std. rooms over the Beach Pool. The ones over the Beach Pool will have a view of the VGF, as well as some of the lagoon - not sure if you can still see any of the Poly, now that the VGF has been built.

You can add a request for which location you prefer. There are some photos on the first page, I know I've posted courtyard pool views and I think there are a few with the Beach Pool side. HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Hello fellow GF fans! Things have been kind of hectic around here...and have interfered with my DIS time...

Really just skimmed...but wanted to say H!III

I see that k&a&c's mom is on the lookout for you! We went to DTD this past trip...bus service going was great...didnt wait long at all..dont ask about the return though...lol.....Loved the new Co-Op store... It is attached to the Trend D store...so not hard to find... found lots lof stuff that we "needed"...I bet you will too!!

WELCOME Liz! What a wonderful way to spend your 30th anniversary! You are right there are two types of deluxe king rooms...the turret rooms seem to be most peoples favorite...certainly ours... They are located right off the atrium on the third forth and fifth floors of the main building...and have views of either the courtyard..or the front of the main building...I would say a monorail view! Be aware though..that these rooms have no balconies....I am sure others who have stayed in them..and I think that there a several regular posters here who have will be able to chime in and add more info!

The other deluxe king rooms are located on the second floor..right over Gasparilla's..and do have a balcony..a MK view...but are quite a bit away from the lounge...

scmommy The GF is absolutely beautiful in all of its Christmas finery! Between the magnificent tree..and the life size gingerbread house....which BTW smells sooooo good...But..the lobby is far more crowded at this time of year than any other...still...very very nice!

MickeyNut Hope that you are feeling better!

k&a&c'smom Good to see you back... You are always missed when you are not around!!

I am still doing the floridian frown....and seriously having lounge withdrawl...lol...

~ Just some quick additions to my mini..drawn out TR..lol...I did notice that the GF Society Orchestra is looking very good in their new uniforms...medium blue vests..and a rusty brown color slacks...kind of like those Gaspies colors... Hope that we will be seeing more of these colors!! Especially the blue..lol.. and Basin seems to have added quite a few new soaps...Gotta love new soaps!

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday....
Glad to see you, too, thanks.

Thank you for posting more details on your trip. The new uniforms for the GFSO sound very nice!

Quote:
Thank you so much for the reply and thank you for the link. That is actually where I found out there was more than 1 room type!

Just a couple more questions although I think I've made up my mind which I like!

You said the rectangular rooms are on the 2nd floor. I was under the impression after reading the RPC section all club level rooms were on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floors. Are these type the exception since they are on the 2nd floor and also have club access?

When we stayed at GF Sugarloaf last year we inquired about the "Deluxe King Rooms" and we were told they were larger and therefore didn't have MK views: the trade off for having more room. Going on this conversation I thought all the rooms were the same. Based on what you are saying, the rectangular rooms ALL have MK view OR a Turret with more room and no MK view. I guess I'm just easily confused!

I tend to do a lot of shopping so I think I'll request the Turret with more room. Both types seem awesome so I'm sure I won't be disappointed regardless!

Again thank you for the help.

Liz
Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion. Yes, the turret king deluxe are larger, some estimates have them at over 700 sq. feet! They have wrap around atrium windows, but no balcony. The king deluxe rooms on the 2nd floor, on the other hand, are nearer the 440 sq. footage of the regular rooms.

The rectangular king deluxe rooms are all on the second floor, the so called "honeymoon suites" (also known as the Clarendon Level) because this area is secluded. The only way to access it from the Main Lobby is to take the gold elevator up to the 3rd floor (keyed access), walk down the back hallway to the pool elevator and go down to the 2nd floor. You can also access these rooms from outside, near Gasparilla's, by using this same elevator (it goes all the way down to ground level), which is helpful for heading to the pools. No one can access these rooms from anywhere on the 2nd floor of the Main Bldg., btw.

If you still have questions, we'll try to answer. Both types of rooms are very nice. ETA: there are 3 of the turret king deluxe rooms that do have a view of the castle; these rooms are over Summer Lace/Commander Porter's and have a side view of the courtyard pool and of the Beach Pool. As BlueSkies posted, the other 3 overlook the monorail and Beach Pool.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #1160
TinkerBellLiz
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the expert help. Request is made! I will poke them again around the 2 week mark.

Thank you also for the heads up on the 2nd floor room locations and how to access them! I was having a really hard time getting that mental picture.

While we always say we will try other resorts, we always end up back at the GF and really excited about our first RPC stay! Back to counting the days until...

Liz
Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #1161
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Hi Blue

Thanks for the update on the orchestra's new outfits. They sound nice.

Hope everything calms down for you and you can get more DIS time.

BlueGiraffe...if you are interested there's a really nice blog about the co-op store on the disney food blog website. I hope I'm allowed to write that. I will definitely be spending a lot of time in there. Everything looks so nice.

I hope everyone's enjoying their Wednesday!
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #1162
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for the expert help. Request is made! I will poke them again around the 2 week mark.

Thank you also for the heads up on the 2nd floor room locations and how to access them! I was having a really hard time getting that mental picture.

While we always say we will try other resorts, we always end up back at the GF and really excited about our first RPC stay! Back to counting the days until...

Liz
Good for you! Very exciting about your first RPC stay, you will be spoiled.

BTW - I forgot to mention the Main Bldg. laundry area is on the 2nd floor, so if you chose that room layout you are right across the hall from the washer/dryer. If not, you will see the area if you do any washing, I seem to always do at least one load for whatever reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
BlueGiraffe...if you are interested there's a really nice blog about the co-op store on the disney food blog website. I hope I'm allowed to write that. I will definitely be spending a lot of time in there. Everything looks so nice.

I hope everyone's enjoying their Wednesday!
You are absolutely allowed to post any official Disney websites here on the DIS. Thanks for the info.

Hope you are having a nice day as well.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #1163
disney meema
DIS Veteran

Coming on over to the Grand from the WL ... pool construction at the lodge is more extensive than I originally thought a month ago so now my end of the trip at CL RP has become a full stay for November. We had to make a few changes with 10 days stay in a theme park view room in outer building and requested conch key. Then we will be 3 days in RP CL standard room with a king bed request.
Originally had a deluxe king turret request but unavailable now with the changes I made (( bummer since it's our 35th anniversary )) but CM has us on a wait list for any cancellations so maybe?
This will be our 10th or 11th stay at GF and I guess we are meant to be there again this trip since WL just didn't work for us.

Hi hi everyone : )
Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #1164
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
It is attached to the Trend D store...so not hard to find... found lots lof stuff that we "needed"...I bet you will too!!
That's just the info I wanted, thanks!!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #1165
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
Coming on over to the Grand from the WL ... pool construction at the lodge is more extensive than I originally thought a month ago so now my end of the trip at CL RP has become a full stay for November. We had to make a few changes with 10 days stay in a theme park view room in outer building and requested conch key. Then we will be 3 days in RP CL standard room with a king bed request.
Originally had a deluxe king turret request but unavailable now with the changes I made (( bummer since it's our 35th anniversary )) but CM has us on a wait list for any cancellations so maybe?
This will be our 10th or 11th stay at GF and I guess we are meant to be there again this trip since WL just didn't work for us.

Hi hi everyone : )
I tried to get a king std last Nov before our 2 day king deluxe(we got a turret but you could get a room on 2nd floor).

We got lucky! Our room was small because on a curve BUT a double size balcony The room was across from the lounge so we loved walking out and hearing the sounds of the lobby.

The room can be used as an add-on to a suite so if no large groups you may get lucky too.

I couldn't get the deluxe king for 3 nights with passholder discount so we moved after the first night.

Was only our 20th anniversary so we have some catching up to do
CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #1166
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I could swear a few years back I saw an online fan site dedicated to the Grand Floridian....I can't find it now for the life of me. Does anyone know which site I am talking about by chance?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #1167
Gitts2008
Mouseketeer

Sorry Double post.

Last edited by Gitts2008; 06-18-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #1168
Gitts2008
Mouseketeer

I'm so indecisive :-(. But, I just did it. I canceled my BB CBR reservation and booked a CL outer building room. Not sure I did the right thing. But, it's done.

We ( me, dh, dd 12, and my mom) will be there 9/15 - 9/19.

Anyone every stay in the handicapped roll in shower room

Any tips for navigating or must see at GF ?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #1169
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
I have learned that if I tip Mousekeeping on the first day (and the following as well) that I get better service.

At poly this month I got a towel animal the first time. Also early service each day.

At VGF in January I swear she left us 2/3 of each shampoo etc at each spot. With 3 bathrooms there was so many I couldn't bring them all home because the weight of the suitcases were then too heavy

At gf in November '13 she also left extra shampoos and lots of coffee supplies and extra towels.

At CBR in August '13 towel animal 1st time and lots of supplies and towels.

I did however keep forgetting to leave a tip at night for towel and trash service so one night I tracked her down in the hall and tipped and thanked her in person. The smile on her face was worth the trip.
not able to take all the soaps etc home the horror!! I pack ziplocks and divide them between my luggage and daughters
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #1170
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
I could swear a few years back I saw an online fan site dedicated to the Grand Floridian....I can't find it now for the life of me. Does anyone know which site I am talking about by chance?
Ya I can't find it either. Something like " where the magic lives"

It was a travel agent I believe.

Anybody else
CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: