Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #1111
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

I was just reading about the pool cabanas on another thread,
http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Cabana-review
(this one was at the Poly, but I'm assuming they're all similar)
and the poster mentioned that tips were not allowed.
Can anyone who's used one recently confirm this?
I just assumed a tip would be expected?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #1112
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
The hours have been on multiple sites, including one that took it from the Hub. The end date comes from a friend working with the reduced hours. My guess is upper Disney management has a bit of a clearer idea than "early September" but I don't have access to anyone at that level familiar with this specific situation.

In terms of reasoning behind the closures, they're automating the monorails (don't worry there will still be CMs inside the driver's station.
Until early Sept?? : just great. So basically no morning monorail for my entire 2 weeks. Ugh.
Pool closures monorail closures all during summer I don't get it.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #1113
DT83097
DIS Veteran

Checked into GF this afternoon. We booked GV and gentleman that walked us to check in desk sad "I'm sorry to report you've been upgraded to a lagoon view room" !!! So awesome - love having a little magic to start the vacation! We have ground floor room facing the Poly/wedding. Pavilion/villas and beach! Love the large patio also!!

Aug 1997 CBR; 2000 CSR; April 2002 Offsite; April 2007 Poly ; Aug 2007 CBR
Aug 2009 Poly; Sept 2010 YC; Sept 2011 Poly; Aug 2012 YC ;Feb 2013 BLT; Sept 2013 BC
CSR Feb 2014-upgraded to YC! ; June 2014 GF
Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #1114
disney meema
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT83097 View Post
Checked into GF this afternoon. We booked GV and gentleman that walked us to check in desk sad "I'm sorry to report you've been upgraded to a lagoon view room" !!! So awesome - love having a little magic to start the vacation! We have ground floor room facing the Poly/wedding. Pavilion/villas and beach! Love the large patio also!!
Wow fabulous!! So nice to get so me pixie dust on your first day and I love the lagoon view : ) have a magical trip and keep us updated on the fun at Floridian as you have time
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #1115
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How exciting!!! What an amazing way to start your vacation!
5/01 - AKL* 4/05 - CBR* 7/06 - POFQ* 12/07 - Pop* 6/12 - DCL Magic NYC* 12/12 - Poly* 7/13 - PolyCL* 1/14 - PolyCL* 5/14 - AKLCL* 7/14 - GF SL* 11/14 - YC/GF* 6/15 - PolyCL * 7/15 - DCL Fantasy* 7/15 - AKL CL * 12/15 GF SL

Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #1116
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
I was just reading about the pool cabanas on another thread,
http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Cabana-review
(this one was at the Poly, but I'm assuming they're all similar)
and the poster mentioned that tips were not allowed.
Can anyone who's used one recently confirm this?
I just assumed a tip would be expected?
Seems to me I remember us tipping several years ago, but the policy may have changed. If the "cabana boy" waits on you (brings drinks, etc), why shouldn't we be allowed to tip him?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #1117
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
Any stories of pixie dust experiences at GF... Love to read about those magical moments : )

Here's ours from GF:

We were upgraded from a garden view standard room to SL club ... An incredible surprise
My twin grandsons each received a small red wagon filled with Mickey goodies ect. Balloons and a small birthday cake for each of them for their 5th birthday ... So so surprised!

We had our shopping purchases sent from DDT to the Grand and it never arrived. We called front desk and they checked for us and it seems it was lost. The concierge called us and came and got our receipt for our purchases ... She drove to DDT and got everything for us we had bought and added some extra special treats and figurines for the two boys. Yep she drove to DDT and back to make sure we had everything, amazing!

We booked a lagoon view and our room was in conch key dormer room with a theme park view as well ... So fun!
That's the nicest thing I have ever heard. How sweet of her.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #1118
addiesmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Seems to me I remember us tipping several years ago, but the policy may have changed. If the "cabana boy" waits on you (brings drinks, etc), why shouldn't we be allowed to tip him?
We rented a cabana last Summer at the Polynesisan. We also ended up renting a cabana another day at the Grand because of one being destroyed during a storm at the Poly. We tried to tip both attendants at both resorts and neither would accept it. They both told us it was not allowed. I agree; I felt awkward not tipping when they took care of so much for us. They brought extra towels, kept the fridge stocked, etc. But they said they couldn't accept it and we tried very hard to give them money!

On another note...we are VERY excited to check in on Wednesday for our first stay the Grand!!! We are Poly converts due to the construction and we are so excited!! Thank you to everyone who provides information on this board, it's so helpful!!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #1119
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you grannyminnie & addiesmom for the info re: cabana tipping.
I'm going to offer the tip on the off chance they can take it. I would feel like a real cheapskate if I didn't at least offer; and I'll feel a whole lot better if they're able to take it.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #1120
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Thank you grannyminnie & addiesmom for the info re: cabana tipping.
I'm going to offer the tip on the off chance they can take it. I would feel like a real cheapskate if I didn't at least offer; and I'll feel a whole lot better if they're able to take it.
We have rented cabanas in the past at the Poly (the last time was fall 2012) and every time the attendant has accepted our tip. As grannyminnie said maybe the policy has changed? But we have definitely tipped in the past. I agree with your approach, it can't hurt to offer the tip the worst that can happen is they will politely decline.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #1121
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Congrats on the upgrade! Hope you have a Grand time.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #1122
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
We have rented cabanas in the past at the Poly (the last time was fall 2012) and every time the attendant has accepted our tip. As grannyminnie said maybe the policy has changed? But we have definitely tipped in the past. I agree with your approach, it can't hurt to offer the tip the worst that can happen is they will politely decline.
That makes me feel better, thanks. Just would not feel right not to tip when they provide a service like that!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #1123
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Well, ok...I thought I remembered doing so...but since others have said they were refused, perhaps the policy has indeed changed.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #1124
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your answers. I'm just going to attempt to give the tip and act like I never heard of not doing so before...
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #1125
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiesmom View Post
On another note...we are VERY excited to check in on Wednesday for our first stay the Grand!!! We are Poly converts due to the construction and we are so excited!! Thank you to everyone who provides information on this board, it's so helpful!!
I'm so happy that so many are able to try the Grand this year. Some that may have never given it a shot had it not been for the construction at the Poly. I hope you all come to love it as much as we do, and hope you have a wonderful time at the Grand.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: