Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
WDWFan06
Mouseketeer

Marathon weekend resort

Okay so here is my dilemma. I got a great deal through a TA for marathon weekend at the Wildnerness Lodge but I just got another deal that would put me at the Boardwalk for only a few dollar difference. We have never stayed at either resort or a deluxe for that matter. Any suggestions?
WDWFan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

I think they are both really nice but offer very different themes. Are you traveling alone? BW offers larger rooms. Which most appeals to your taste? Do you plan to spend more of your time at MK(boat ride from WL) or HS & EP (walkable from BW)? I think once you know the answers to these questions, it will be clear what resort works better for you. Bottom line, I think they are both great and you will be happy at either one.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

If you have park hoppers or don't mind burning a park ticket on marathon day, I say go with Boardwalk (I am assuming you are participating in the marathon...if not, ignore my advice). It is so nice at the end of the race to be able to walk back through Epcot to your room, giving yourself a chance to stretch your legs a bit, rather than sitting on a bus for 30 min. Plus, we really just love that whole Epcot resort area. It's awesome to be able to walk over to Epcot for dinner or a drink or whatever.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

When we've done marathon weekend we have stayed at Beach Club, and really enjoy the closeness of EPCOT. One year the lines to get on the busses were horrendously long - and as much as I did not want to think about it, we did walk back through Epcot to Beach Club, and it was nice, we took our time, we were congratulated (as we were wearing our medals!)

I think the longest lines for busses were the value and moderates, as other years we have ridden the bus back to Beach Club. Its been awhile since i've done or kept up with the marathon news - the WISH Competion forum here on the disboards is very helpful. The busses are not Disney busses, but are through RunDisney.... as long as its not horrid cold or hot, it all works out!
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
WDWFan06
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. I am an AP holder but my mother and sister are not. Last year, they were not happy when I made all these park plans after waking up at 3 am to run. So this year we made the deal that we would stay at a deluxe but no park tickets. For them at least. My sister is running the full and I am running the half. We are planning to get massages after the full. They are not planners so they could care less where we stay. Part of me says the boardwalk because we will have things to do right there because of no park tickets for them. The other half of me says WL because all of our plans are made around there restaurants, ect. I will be happy either way because I am at Disney. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you stay at the BW, you'll still have to take the bus to the start and from the finish. You can't walk from BW without walking through Epcot and it is closed at 3AM in the morning.

No matter where you stay, make sure you get an early bus to the start so you don't miss the gun.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
WDWFan06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If you stay at the BW, you'll still have to take the bus to the start and from the finish. You can't walk from BW without walking through Epcot and it is closed at 3AM in the morning. No matter where you stay, make sure you get an early bus to the start so you don't miss the gun.
Thanks for the tips. We ran last year for the first time but we stayed at a moderate resort. Picking a deluxe is harder than I ever imagined it would be!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
wellesleyprincess
DIS Veteran

I would say Boardwalk. It will be one of the closest to the start/finish meaning a short ride. It will also be convenient if you go out to cheer for each other.
March 1990- WDW Offsite ~ May 1994- Poly ~ May 1999- Coronado Springs ~ April 2003- Offsite (EPCOT & MGM & Universal) ~ June 2005- Yacht Club ~ March 2008- Pop Century at Easter ~ January 2010 Marathon Weekend Trip at All Star Sports (Full Marathon Finisher)~ May/June 2010 Contemporary ~ January 2011 POFQ (Goofy Challenge)~August/September 2012 WWoHP~ September/October 2012 ToT 10 Miler/ Food & Wine All Star Sports~ October 2013 Pop Century Father-Daughter Food & Wine trip
wellesleyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: