DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCow View Post
Just to add, closed in May and just this week my family decided they wanted to go!! So paying cash for the CR. Ouch!! But in reality we probably won't go for another 2-3 years, so while this 5 night trip is costing me 2 years worth of what I would have paid in maintenance. It's kind of a wash. Plus I even tried renting points and NOTHING available. Not even studios. Which was my biggest issue. I can no longer plan 11 months out. This trip is 5 months out and no room on points.
THIS is probably the biggest reason we are going to sell our BWV contract. We just can't find ANYTHING available anymore. In the past we were always borrowed into the next use year. This year we have 88 points just sitting there that we will likely have to bank because we can't get anything with them that we can actually use. We are beyond frustrated.

To add insult to injury, we have traded in via RCI using live inventory (not even an ongoing search) for dates that we cannot get with our DVC points. Being that this option is also significantly cheaper, we have just about given up on DVC

To answer your question, I doubt we will feel remorse. We will probably feel sadness, but no more than the sadness we already feel about having points that are all but useless at anything but the 11 month window at one resort.
LoveBWVVBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBWVVBR View Post
THIS is probably the biggest reason we are going to sell our BWV contract. We just can't find ANYTHING available anymore. In the past we were always borrowed into the next use year. This year we have 88 points just sitting there that we will likely have to bank because we can't get anything with them that we can actually use. We are beyond frustrated.

To add insult to injury, we have traded in via RCI using live inventory (not even an ongoing search) for dates that we cannot get with our DVC points. Being that this option is also significantly cheaper, we have just about given up on DVC

To answer your question, I doubt we will feel remorse. We will probably feel sadness, but no more than the sadness we already feel about having points that are all but useless at anything but the 11 month window at one resort.
I have had perfect luck at the 11 month mark and so far the 7 month mark, But anything less is very hard tat he popular resorts. DVC is really for someone who wants to plan 11-7 months out. I actually got SSR 1 bedroom this past week the day before arrival for all my days and also got a week at Gand Floridan in a 2 bedroom standard view for Presidents day week at the 7 month mark.

When are you trying to book under 7 months?
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17 DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12 DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, SSR 7/7-7/11/14 BWV 10/8-10/12/14, VGF 2/10-2/13/15 DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
mort1331
Mouseketeer

We just were told we made it by ROFR on our 2nd contract. We purchased this because we know its a better UY for us. Feb as opposed to Apr. both at SSR, but Apr has 220 and Feb 200. Once papers and payment are done, we are thinking about selling the Apr. There wouldn't be remorse, but we might keep it and rent for a few years and use it for bigger rooms when the kids are bigger. That is our thinking.
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

I am sitting here awaiting my check from the sale of our DVC. We had 12 years of wonderful vacations but now live near WDW.

I am sad but we need a new roof and this was a way to come up with some quick cash. (We listed in March, got an offer in May, and should be closing any day now).
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
Cheeky in TN
Counting down the days till the next trip

We sold in 2011 as our family grew to 5 and we only had 150 points, so staying in 2 bedrooms did not work - at the time most resorts did not allow or were not built for 5 in a 1 bedroom. Also, it was around the time the rules were changing on how resales could access the other DVC features, so we were able to sell on the first day at a premium. We had alot of doubt/regret, but tried to remind ourselves of our changing needs and finances.

Good news is with the changes regarding 5 in 1 bedroom and changing finances, we are waiting ROFR on SSR DVC that we could pay cash for. Hopefully it passes, as we feel we got a good deal on it. We like SSR and typically can get the room we want and willing to stay at AKV also which seems to have availability. Hoping to stay at Boardwalk someday again, but availability is a bit tougher there. We are happy just to be able to stay DVC again. If needed, I feel we could sale again with minimal loss.
March 2004 Coronado,October 2004 Pop, July 2005 OKW, May 2006 SSR, October 2006 Boardwalk, May 2007 Boardwalk ,November 2008 SSR, May 2010 BLT, May 2011 SSR, June 2012 Disney Cruise and SSR at WDW, June 2013 Beach Club!!!!, June 2014 Disney Cruise and Animal Kingdom Kidani Village!!
Cheeky in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
ScottOKW2K
Wishing I was working for a REAL Mickey Mouse operation !

We have an OKW contract that will probably be listed later today. Things have changed in our family - daughter away in college, wife finishing another degree we wouldn't have the available vacation time to use all our points. The pragmatic part of me accepts this - we will have more money for school and will have less dues going out each month.

The inner child is throwing a hissy fit ! He's going NOOOOoooooooo .......

We've had plenty of wonderful vacations there. Our daughter practically grew up there, and loved the spaciousness of the 1 bedroom. Wonderful memories ! We still have AKV points, so we are not completely bereft.
ScottOKW2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28wiz View Post
I have had perfect luck at the 11 month mark and so far the 7 month mark, But anything less is very hard tat he popular resorts. DVC is really for someone who wants to plan 11-7 months out. I actually got SSR 1 bedroom this past week the day before arrival for all my days and also got a week at Gand Floridan in a 2 bedroom standard view for Presidents day week at the 7 month mark.

When are you trying to book under 7 months?
Sadly, it seems like anything we look for at under 7 months no longer happens. That wasn't always the case. The one that is killing is is Thanksgiving. That is why we have the points in the first place. I'm so angry, as if I had been aware that I couldn't even get a less-desirable resort a 7 months I would have taken a Marriott instead. Now Marriott isn't an option trade-wise, and I can't get the DVC we have the points for. It's beyond aggrivating and it's why I'm done owning DVC points. DH wants to wait one more year to see if we still have no luck at 7 months for Thanksgiving. I'm done.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #23
dcfromva

Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm1017 View Post
I know in the practical side of my brain I should sell but my emotional side is having trouble

Has anyone been through this? any trouble "letting go"?
We've sold two contracts (40% of our points). Things change over time and we found we had too many points and we didn't want to rent out the excess. We were glad that we had the flexibility to "right size" our points based on our needs as time goes by.
It did take some time to reach the decision to sell, but once we reached that point we were ready for it to be done!
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Sadly, it seems like anything we look for at under 7 months no longer happens. That wasn't always the case. The one that is killing is is Thanksgiving. That is why we have the points in the first place. I'm so angry, as if I had been aware that I couldn't even get a less-desirable resort a 7 months I would have taken a Marriott instead. Now Marriott isn't an option trade-wise, and I can't get the DVC we have the points for. It's beyond aggrivating and it's why I'm done owning DVC points. DH wants to wait one more year to see if we still have no luck at 7 months for Thanksgiving. I'm done.
Respectfully, if you know you want Thanksgiving, why aren't you booking at 11 months or at least prior to the 7 month window opening? You can always cancel if you later find you can't go.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #25
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Respectfully, if you know you want Thanksgiving, why aren't you booking at 11 months or at least prior to the 7 month window opening? You can always cancel if you later find you can't go.
Fair question. We always booked at 11 months (Boardwalk standard view) until last year. Our Thanksgiving unit was so disgusting that 1) they gave us a $150 room credit immediately upon us going to find a manager and 2) member satisfaction called us and thanked us for the photos as they get lots of calls about the condition of Boardwalk but unfortunately few photos that illustrate just how bad it is. Honestly, we should have just gone home and lost the points. It was THAT bad. We won't stay there again until it is renovated and apparently that is a long way off. However, it is where we own, so unfortunately that negates the 11 month window for us now. I know that 7 months isn't a guarantee, but I also didn't think it was impossible.

DH wants to wait one more year to sell DVC to see if this pattern repeats next year. Since we are sitting on 88 points that we will now need to bank because we can't book the very thing they are intended for (Thanksgiving), I say we sell now. I don't want to have 250 points to bank next year. I don't want to use up points just to use them, and honestly I didn't buy points to rent them out so I don't really want to rent them out either. Luckily we borrowed some last year and we don't have the full 250 from this year's allottment right now.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #26
Splashboat
Always looking for cheap airfare

Quote:
Fair question. We always booked at 11 months (Boardwalk standard view) until last year. Our Thanksgiving unit was so disgusting that 1) they gave us a $150 room credit immediately upon us going to find a manager and 2) member satisfaction called us and thanked us for the photos as they get lots of calls about the condition of Boardwalk but unfortunately few photos that illustrate just how bad it is. Honestly, we should have just gone home and lost the points. It was THAT bad. We won't stay there again until it is renovated and apparently that is a long way off. However, it is where we own, so unfortunately that negates the 11 month window for us now. I know that 7 months isn't a guarantee, but I also didn't think it was impossible.

DH wants to wait one more year to sell DVC to see if this pattern repeats next year. Since we are sitting on 88 points that we will now need to bank because we can't book the very thing they are intended for (Thanksgiving), I say we sell now. I don't want to have 250 points to bank next year. I don't want to use up points just to use them, and honestly I didn't buy points to rent them out so I don't really want to rent them out either. Luckily we borrowed some last year and we don't have the full 250 from this year's allottment right now.
I wanted to ask the same question CarolMN asked - so I am glad she did. Without asking you to go over the whole story, was it a renovating issue or a cleaning issue?
Splashboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #27
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

So sorry to hear this. We also book BWV standard views most trips. We go the weekend after Thanksgiving every other year and have a long after Thanksgiving weekend scheduled for this year. Feel fortunate to have gotten Pool/Garden studio this year since we didn't decide to go until a few days before the 7 month window opened.

Anyway, in all our trips - and we've been going at least once a year since 1999, we have never encountered anything like you describe. We mostly stay in SV 1 bedrooms at BWV. (I do believe you experienced what you described and am upset that you were assigned a unit in such poor condition).

Hoping you can book what you want at 7 months for next year, but also hope you can give BWV another chance. That awful room is NOT typical!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #28
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashboat View Post
I wanted to ask the same question CarolMN asked - so I am glad she did. Without asking you to go over the whole story, was it a renovating issue or a cleaning issue?
Both, but I could deal with the renovation stuff better than the lack of cleaning. I'm talking dirty tissues inside the cabinets dirty. The fact that the grout was so filthy that you honestly couldn't tell what color it was supposed to be was what got me the worst though...so icky. And OMG, hair EVERYWHERE in the bathroom...gag. I really hate remembering that unit. We should have gone home. At 8PM with kids that needed to go to bed I didn't have time to call for housekeeping to come do the job that they clearly hadn't done so I got out the vacuum and at least vacuumed up the hair that was all over the bathroom. It was still disgusting, but at least not hairy and disgusting.

We had noticed the quality level there declining for a while (the hallways always looked beat to us), but the units themselves were generally clean. Last year's unit was a doozy. We are both pretty adamant that we aren't giving that resort another chance until they fully renovate.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #29
Splashboat
Always looking for cheap airfare

Quote:
Both, but I could deal with the renovation stuff better than the lack of cleaning. I'm talking dirty tissues inside the cabinets dirty. The fact that the grout was so filthy that you honestly couldn't tell what color it was supposed to be was what got me the worst though...so icky. And OMG, hair EVERYWHERE in the bathroom...gag. I really hate remembering that unit. We should have gone home. At 8PM with kids that needed to go to bed I didn't have time to call for housekeeping to come do the job that they clearly hadn't done so I got out the vacuum and at least vacuumed up the hair that was all over the bathroom. It was still disgusting, but at least not hairy and disgusting.

We had noticed the quality level there declining for a while (the hallways always looked beat to us), but the units themselves were generally clean. Last year's unit was a doozy. We are both pretty adamant that we aren't giving that resort another chance until they fully renovate.
It sounds like BWV might always have a taint for you now. We had a really bad experience at one resort (involving a CM) and even though everything was resolved, and it wasn't a really a 'resort' issue, I know I can't stay there again. Hope all works out with whatever you decide.
Splashboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Our last stay at BW put it on the bottom of our list - love the location and it's always been clean but the maintenance issues bother us. I posted a picture of the underside of the BR sink - which was exposed because if was a HA room ( view on standard pt). Always had the bad luck to run into some maintenance.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: