Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #91
mainemooncat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydy View Post
QOTD: I have a feeling we've all tried some crazy things to lose weight. what was a crazy diet that you tried? what did you learn from it?

A couple weeks before my wedding I decided to create my own diet of eating nothing but Top Ramen Cup of Soup and Diet Coke. Not sure exactly what my thinking was on this, but these were two of my favorite foods at the time. Needless to say, this was not a very successful "crazy diet!"

Last edited by mainemooncat; 04-06-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
mainemooncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #92
lloydy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
I'm late..i'm late...for a very important date!
but I want to join in...important month for me, countdown of 5 weeks until Vegas girls trip. woot woot I set my step goal at 6500 which is where I think I can attain on a daily basis--
WOW! I have never been to Vegas, but I would like to one day. This sounds like a great motivator. I am astounded by your step goal. Do you step up onto a stepper in a workout or is it a step counter that is counting your steps taken walking each day?
Go for it!
lloydy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #93
lloydy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemooncat View Post
A couple weeks before my wedding I decided to create my own diet of eating nothing but Top Ramen Cup of Soup and Diet Coke. Not sure exactly what my thinking was on this, but these were two of my favorite foods at the time. Needless to say, this was not a very successful "crazy diet!"
Yep! I can support that kind of thinking. I don't know what happens but it just seems like a good idea at the time. Like you say "crazy diet" [/COLOR]
Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #94
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glss1/2fll View Post
qotd Sat: I did a whopping one minute plank. That was my exercise. Today I will do a yoga video then it's back to the regular week day routine.

Thank you for the reminder.... I've been trying to incorporate a 1 minute plank and a 1 minute wall sit every day, even if I do nothing else... but of course, I forgot yesterday....

qotd Sun: nothing crazy for me; I'm too much of a chicken to be radical!

------
Susan-hope you are getting better. Tomorrow my son is auditioning for the choir at the OR Bach Festival held in Eugene every summer. I'm nervous because his choir teacher hasn't written his letter of recommendation yet. She has promised she will give it to him in the morning. He's also waiting on another letter from a regular teacher for a scholarship for voice lessons. Gotta figure out how to make a CD or post a video for them to review. It would be very nice to have somebody else pay for his lessons!

Fingers crossed for all of this for him!

Pamela--fantastic job on the popcorn! Oh, we know all about college bills. DS1 is in his second year. Hope DS2 gets lots of scholarships, because we have no idea how we're paying for the second kid!

Okay...I wasn't sure if you had one in college already or not.

After church today DH and I are going to a used book store in Portland (Powell's!) hoping they will buy some of the books my in-laws made us take when we took a bookcase from their house (I took some to the local bookstore and got a check for $130-which I sent to them). We are trying to assimilate all the stuff they gave us, but it's hard. A ton of our stuff has been moved to the attic. But the piano is pretty much in tune, says DS. Also gonna hit Ikea to get a chair for DS. I realllly want to move a bed out of the teeny bedroom and get a chair that turns into a bed. May have to wait til DS1 is out of college and hopefully on his own before I do that!

Have a great rest of the weekend!
WOOHOO for cash for used book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemooncat View Post

Okie-dokie.... so instead of a 30+ minute walk/run, I opted for the first round of YARD WORK for the season!! Not that I am a big fan of yard work, but I'd rather get something accomplished during my workout than just "spin my wheel" so to speak. I tried hard to keep my heart rate up by doing 10-20 jumping jacks if I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. I did some runs around the yard back and forth to the burn pile with sticks and such, raking, yanking up obnoxious weeds, cleaned out a bit behind the shed for 100 minutes.... so even if I only kept my heart rate up for half of that, it was more time than I probably would have run... so I feel satisfied (and sore and dirty and scratched up! ). Also have 3 loads of laundry hanging in the sunny breeze. Hopefully it will dry before I lose the sun in the backyard. I can see the towels flapping around outside the office window.

Just had a small salad.... next up I'll have a bit of protein and then pull out my recipes for this week and get my veggies prepped. I am anticipating a full work week, but I'm not sure yet.

I see I have a few more PMs in my box, so I'll get things updated before I start cooking!..............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #95
pjlla
<><

BTW, I made an executive decision as this month's hostess to add a color to our "percentages" rainbow of 1-9% lost.... it will be bright blue. I would hate for someone to have a loss but no color to show for it.... especially if they have a big goal for the month. So if you have lost even 1% towards your goal for the month, your name on the participants list will be changed from basic black to bright blue! ...............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #96
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!!

I was away yesterday and ended up eating far too much crap because it was around. It is really sad how I end up eating stuff just because it is there. I have no idea how to get out of that routine. I really really need to work on it, but I don't know how. I obviously lack any form of self discipline when there are somewhat attractive things to eat around.

Anyway, had a nice and active day with a long walk through the local Easter market and my daily Body Revolution workout. I am starting to see my body truly changing shape. I tried on some of my summer clothes today and am amazed that even though the scale did not move those fit about as well as before Christmas when I was considerably lighter. So, I must have added quite some muscles and hopefully those will help to burn away more fat!

I am half way through the six weeks I had set myself to get into shape before the cruise and I have already improved so much! I can fit into all the clothes that I had for my cruise last spring. Not well, but not much worse than last spring. And I do have another 3 weeks. If I manage to have the same kind of change in the next three weeks, I will be very happy - whatever that stupid scale is saying. So it seems what I have been doing is not totally wrong, there is success!

Also, was so proud of myself when I started out doing the "real" push ups this time and kept going and when I finally collapsed into the easier ones on your knees she said that moment: two more. I nearly would have been able to do one set of real push-ups!!

Yesterdays QOTD:

it was my designated rest day, so really not a lot of exercise at all. Especially since I also sat on a train for 5 hours... Maybe that I took the stairs instead of the elevator?????

Today QOTD:

I tried fasting once - for a whole week. I started with a portion of Glauber's salt to get my whole digestive system cleaned out and then it really was only herbal tea, water and one glass of fruit juice or vegetable broth (which I hate, so I think I never had it). Did not lose a lot of weight with it, but in a strange sense I felt it very empowering as it took a lot of willpower to get through. Hunger really was not as big an issue as I thought, but the craving for food was. Wanting to be able to taste something.

Otherwise most of my weight loss attempts have been very sensible, my mother has some training in nutrition, so I was taught a lot on this early one. Somehow the knowledge of how things are supposed to be does not make it any easier to follow it as my mother has been overweight for a long time, even though she knew exactly on what she should do to lose weight...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #97
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi everyone!!

I was away yesterday and ended up eating far too much crap because it was around. It is really sad how I end up eating stuff just because it is there. I have no idea how to get out of that routine. I really really need to work on it, but I don't know how. I obviously lack any form of self discipline when there are somewhat attractive things to eat around.

It does take a lot of experimenting, thinking, planning and just TIME to learn to deal with certain food situations. For me it was swim weekends or any kinds of weekends away.... it always seemed to equal eating junk! Kind of like it was just PART of a busy weekend away.... like I suddenly had "permission". But I finally learned that just because I have a weekend away from the normal routine, that isn't a reason to eat too much or badly!

Anyway, had a nice and active day with a long walk through the local Easter market and my daily Body Revolution workout. I am starting to see my body truly changing shape. I tried on some of my summer clothes today and am amazed that even though the scale did not move those fit about as well as before Christmas when I was considerably lighter. So, I must have added quite some muscles and hopefully those will help to burn away more fat!

I am half way through the six weeks I had set myself to get into shape before the cruise and I have already improved so much! I can fit into all the clothes that I had for my cruise last spring. Not well, but not much worse than last spring. And I do have another 3 weeks. If I manage to have the same kind of change in the next three weeks, I will be very happy - whatever that stupid scale is saying. So it seems what I have been doing is not totally wrong, there is success!

Also, was so proud of myself when I started out doing the "real" push ups this time and kept going and when I finally collapsed into the easier ones on your knees she said that moment: two more. I nearly would have been able to do one set of real push-ups!!

Sounds like those workouts are really working well for you! I'm so impressed!

Yesterdays QOTD:

it was my designated rest day, so really not a lot of exercise at all. Especially since I also sat on a train for 5 hours... Maybe that I took the stairs instead of the elevator?????

Today QOTD:

I tried fasting once - for a whole week. I started with a portion of Glauber's salt to get my whole digestive system cleaned out and then it really was only herbal tea, water and one glass of fruit juice or vegetable broth (which I hate, so I think I never had it). Did not lose a lot of weight with it, but in a strange sense I felt it very empowering as it took a lot of willpower to get through. Hunger really was not as big an issue as I thought, but the craving for food was. Wanting to be able to taste something.

Otherwise most of my weight loss attempts have been very sensible, my mother has some training in nutrition, so I was taught a lot on this early one. Somehow the knowledge of how things are supposed to be does not make it any easier to follow it as my mother has been overweight for a long time, even though she knew exactly on what she should do to lose weight...
Many of us know WHAT to do to lose weight.... it is just a matter of actually DOING it!

Evening all! Day is over and it was a busy one, but I am delighted with how much I got done! All of my dinners for Monday thru Thursday are prepped and can be put together fairly quickly. (The men have tix to a comedy show Friday night, so I won't be making a big meal that night.) I also did 3 loads of laundry, the previously mentioned yardwork, made a batch of healthy snack bars for DS's lunch sack this week, and a batch of low carb 'cookies' for DH to snack on. Plus..... I decided that the yard work wasn't enough exercise and I got out there for a 20 minute walk/run. It wasn't much, but I was pleased that I pushed for it.

Dinner is cleaned up and I'm going to watch a bit of TV with my men before bed. TTY tomorrow~.................P

Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #98
lloydy
Mouseketeer

Monday's QOTD

QOTD: I have often heard that losing weight for "something" is not a good idea. How do you feel about that? Do you agree or disagree?

I know a goal works for me... And Magdalen is doing so well with her new body programme ( I would like to hear a bit more about what is involved there). So, what about you are you working towards "something"?
Jules
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 AM   #99
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD: I have often heard that losing weight for "something" is not a good idea. How do you feel about that? Do you agree or disagree?
I think if a certain goal is the only reason why you want to lose weight than it is not the right way to do it. For example if you only use weight to impress your former class mates at the reunion, once that is over you feel like now you are free to go back to your old habits. So the most important goal should always be to be healthy and active. BUT I think a goal like a certain event can be a great motivational help! It helps me focus. When I see that lovely ice cream bar and I would love to have one myself because it is a lovely sunny warm spring Sunday I can think about that I want to look good in my formal dress on the cruise - or the bright red swim suit I bought two weeks ago. So losing weight for "something" is only a help for my overall goal of losing weight for me to feel healthier, more energetic and just general better.

Quote:
I know a goal works for me... And Magdalen is doing so well with her new body programme ( I would like to hear a bit more about what is involved there). So, what about you are you working towards "something"?
Jules
Jules, the program I am talking about is Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. It is a three month programm (well, 12 weeks). It comes with a million DVDs, but that's because every workout got its own DVD which I find is a bit silly, but I guess they wanted it to look like more as it is not cheap.

It is structured the way that you have two strength workouts and one cardio workout. You start with workout 1 (muscles on the front of your body like chest, abs, thighs) and then the next day you do workout 2 (muscles on the back of your body like back, hamstrings). Then the next day you do the cardio workout. And then you start with workout 1 again. After 6 days you get one day of rest (oh, and I really really need that day!!), second week is still the same. After two weeks you move on to workout 3 and workout 4 with the same pattern of front/back but still keep the same cardio program. And then after two weeks of that you move on to workout 5 and 6, but after the first month you get new cardio. Sounds more complicated than it is!

I really like it that you never do the same thing two days in a row, it does give your muscles time to recover. Every workout is about 30 minutes, so easy to incorporate in your day. I also like it that the first weeks are really used to build a foundation so that once you move on to the crazier stuff, you can actually do it.

I also find Jillian very motivating. I first did her program called "30 Day Shred" last year after people on her recommended it. I read lots of comments about Jillian on the internet of people who don't like her from her appearances on the TV show The Biggest Loser. Since I never saw that, I did not have any negative prejudice against her. But I find it amazing how she can actually really make you work harder with her comments! Her thing is that you should believe more in your abilities and encourages you to try out the harder stuff, just along the lines of that graphic that Lisa posted the other day: you have to move outside of your comfort zone to get to where the magic happens!

So far I have done three weeks of it, so I am still at the beginning. I have no idea how crazy it will get towards the end and if I will be able to do those exercises! But since I will only get to week 6 until I leave for vacation, I have decided that I will start from the beginning anyway after the vacation. She always gives alternatives for those who feel like the exercise is not challenging enough (and also sometimes alternatives if you feel like the exercise is too challenging).

It is not available for sale outside of the US. But I was able to order it from Amazon in the US and have it shipped to me for a not too outrageous fee (I think 12 $ or so). The DVDs are not country coded, so they work on a European TV.

If you want to check out Jillian Michaels DVDs, I found out that 30 Day Shred is actually officially available on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8 as well as some other of her programs.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #100
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Monday morning.

I am was planning to enter this challenge this month but I think I will just come by and chat and not do the weigh in. This has been a strange month and I need to get my head together before I get too involved with dieting.

My name is Dona. I am married to my college sweetheart for almost 36 years. I have two sons almost 29 and 24. They are both out of the house so it is just dh and I with our two cats.

I teach Advanced Placement Calculus and geometry. I have been teaching for 37 years in the same school. Dh retired last year and I plan to retire in June of 2015. I am in the process of working with a teacher who will replace me in the calc classes that I teach.

This has been an emotional month for me. My father broke his hip at the beginning of March. He made it in to rehab but ended up back in the hospital and was in ICU for 2 weeks before he died last week on his 89th birthday. During this time we found out that ds2 was accepted to a PhD program at Villanova with a full ride. He will be studying civil engineering to plan road construction. Then on the day my dad died I found out that I had been named Teacher of the Year for my school. There have been a lot of tears both good and bad in the last couple of weeks.

I am out of school today because I am allowed 5 days for a family death. I was out 3 days last week and my friends really wanted me out until Wednesday but I think I need to go back in tomorrow. Then I will only have 4 days and then off for spring break.

I have been doing these challenges for a while.. I have taken a break since Dec when I had a friend die. It is time for me to get back in the game.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #101
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Dona, I am so sorry for your losses!

But also congratulations to being named teacher of the year and to your son for his acchievements!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #102
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Oh Dona, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.
Congrats on your DS's acceptance and your teacher of the year award.

Lots of ups and downs for you lately. Sending hugs your way!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #103
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

Hi all, just a quick drive by post! This weekend was insane - I helped out my sister with a huge girl scout event called International Night. The event was on Saturday and I'm still exhausted. Today, my family is going to Opening Day for the Yankees! (They don't know I'm a Red Sox fan haha) But, I'm excited! Nevertheless, busy busy busy!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Name your TOP 10 Disney "experiences" (rides, shows, parade, etc) in priority order!
1. The end of Fantasmic when Sorcerer Mickey is at the top of the rock and everybody cheers for him like he is a rock star. Always makes me cry happy tears and thank the universe that this little mouse was once my boss.
2. Spectromagic R.I.P.
3. Radiator Springs Racers at DCA, after dark
4. Soarin' (I even love the Pre-Show Music)
5. Illuminations (again, with the Pre-Show Music)
6. Hot Chocolate sold around WDW. For some reason it is addicting
7. Tie between Expedition Everest and Rock N Roller Coaster
8. Soundsational Parade at DLR
9. The cute show where they light the christmas lights on the castle at 6:20 during the holiday season, but mostly turning to face the other way and looking at people's reactions when the lights go on
10. Drinking around EPCOT - specifically the tequila bar inside the Mexico pavilion, the Bellinis in Italy, the Grand Marnier Slush in France, the Canto Loopy in Japan and the Welsh Dragon in U.K.

Take me back!!!

DD and I love People Mover too! Great spot to rest and relax!

Quote:

I am super goal oriented, so I always have to have a goal in mind - a race, or finishing a program, or getting to an certain weight or losing a certain number of inches. But, I've actually never done the whole losing for a cruise or an event. One time I tried to lose 20 pounds before my 20th birthday and it was a total disaster, as I didn't have a plan haha

I had a really weird moment this weekend where someone told me that I didn't need to lose any more weight and was concerned about my body image... Everyone in my family is an average weight - no one is fit, no one is skinny, everyone is either average or overweight. I used to be the latter, and now I am average. I am officially at a healthy BMI, which feels great. But, I don't know how to politely tell someone that it isn't enough for me.

I feel like Ariel, I want mooooooooreeeee! I don't want to be a stick, I want to be the opposite - I'm in my twenties, I want to be ripped haha I know I probably won't be, but I have to try! I'm not willing to settle for just average.
I love every inch of my body, but I want to love it for how hard I worked to get it, not just because it is there. It is very difficult to explain all of that to someone who is looking at you like you have an eating disorder, when you are literally 3 pounds away from being above the "suggested weight for your height" haha

Oh, well. I guess as I continue down this path, I'll always have to deal with that. Glad to have you guys here for your support.

Hopefully I'll be back after the game for some replies!

1993 - Contemporary Hotel 2008 - Pop Century 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 - Pop Century 2012 - All Star Movies
Fall 2012 - Vacation Planning CM
willonlyflytodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #104
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
WOW! I have never been to Vegas, but I would like to one day. This sounds like a great motivator. I am astounded by your step goal. Do you step up onto a stepper in a workout or is it a step counter that is counting your steps taken walking each day?
Go for it!
I am wearing a fitbit..a high tech pedometer these are just daily walking steps and any workouts I do on the treadmill and elliptical will register steps too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Okie-dokie.... so instead of a 30+ minute walk/run, I opted for the first round of YARD WORK for the season!! Not that I am a big fan of yard work, but I'd rather get something accomplished during my workout than just "spin my wheel" so to speak. I tried hard to keep my heart rate up by doing 10-20 jumping jacks if I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. I did some runs around the yard back and forth to the burn pile with sticks and such, raking, yanking up obnoxious weeds, cleaned out a bit behind the shed for 100 minutes.... so even if I only kept my heart rate up for half of that, it was more time than I probably would have run... so I feel satisfied (and sore and dirty and scratched up! ). Also have 3 loads of laundry hanging in the sunny breeze. Hopefully it will dry before I lose the sun in the backyard. I can see the towels flapping around outside the office window.
I this!!! LOVE IT!!

Quote:
as I shared I'm really focusing on 5 weeks until my girls trip, which I am so fortunate to be able to do. we go about every 18 -24 months since 9/01. our first trip was actually labor day before 9/11 I have been 'focusing' on this since Feb. unfortunately my meds/body are not cooperating and I've been gaining and losing the same weight since Oct. so I think when I try to lose for a vaca, I tend to overset my goal and then not reach, but still overall lose for that trip. so I think it helps me. I'm very vaca oriented and so thinking I'm making decisions that will help me feel better on my vaca somehow makes me happy. LOL

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #105
lloydy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Jules, the program I am talking about is Jillian Michaels Body Revolution.
So far I have done three weeks of it.
If you want to check out Jillian Michaels DVDs, I found out that 30 Day Shred is actually officially available on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8 as well as some other of her programs.
This does sound very thorough. You have done so well with it in three weeks. It is interesting and I am tempted. I need to get the weight down before I could attempt it I think. We are going to Orlando in July so I might be able to get it then. Thank you for all your advice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: