Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Mommysj2010
Earning My Ears

Which Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside?

Hello I am planning to go to Disney. Which resort would you guys recommend. I will be traveling with my husband and three year old son

Thanks
Mommysj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommysj2010 View Post
Hello I am planning to go to Disney. Which resort would you guys recommend. I will be traveling with my husband and three year old son

Thanks
If you enjoy smallish resorts, you might like POFQ. Your DS3 would love the pool theme. For his age, maybe POFQ would be best as its not so spread out.

Personally I like POR far better because..... bike rentals (surrey bikes too! although you might not benefit from this), longer pool slide (I have a 14 yr old, my situation is totally different from yours), POR also has several quiet pools, a better food court IMO (make your own pasta station!), I find the grounds far prettier (love the mansions), plus there's a TS restaurant and Yehaw Bob (fun family entertainment). Having said that, there's a lot on here which you wouldnt find beneficial with a 3 year old. Therefore, I think POFQ just might be the place for you.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Just on size alone...POFQ....

When a resort has 3 or 4 internal bus stops, that's more walking and navigating I don't want after a day in a park...

POFQ, walking distance to POR, can share pools but POFQ is so compact not a bad building anywhere...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Angiea1114
Mouseketeer

I have never been to POFQ, but just stayed last year at POR. We had a full family, grandparents, us, 15 and 17 yo DD's and 12 and 5 yo DS's. We loved it!! Before the 5 year old we had been to a couple of the All Stars, Pop and Caribbean Beach. Those are nice too but I felt there was a balance between park and relaxation as POR so as not to give character overload. The quiet pools at POR were empty and much better for relaxing and definitely less crowded. My 5 year old was able to wind down better at POR than the other kids in the past at the other resorts.
Angiea1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
mexican-mouseketeers
DIS Veteran

PORFQ my daughters love it and I do too!

Distances inside the hotel are much shorter.

DH Me Dd 11 Dd 5 Dd 3

mexican-mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both POR and POFQ, and we prefer POFQ.

First, we prefer the New Orleans theme and the decor, but that's entirely subjective and based on personal preference. Just thought it was quaint with the wrought iron and cobblestone. The POFQ CMs stood out among mod resort CMs when we stayed there - from the food court to the gift shop to the front desk - all very enthusiastic and helpful. I understand it can vary from time to time for each guest, but it gave POFQ a friendlier vibe. When we stayed at POFQ, I was traveling on my own with our kids, so the small size of the resort was a huge benefit for us. Especially when our then-5-year-old fell asleep and I had to carry him back to the room! I requested upper floor, close to lobby, and our requests were granted. Also, I'm not a fan of food courts generally, but the POFQ food court was the least hectic and most pleasant food court experience we've had! Even at busier times of day, everything seemed to go smoothly.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL and CBR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

You'll get half and half responses on this one probably!

But I'll definitely vote for POFQ!!!! All the amenities at POR that have been mentioned are great, but if you want to take advantage of any of them, you can take a walk (or boat ride!) over and enjoy them as well.

But there's nothing like coming back from a long day at the park, having only ONE bus stop at the resort and then a very, very short walk to any room on the property. POFQ is beautiful, quiet, quaint. The best part for our family was just how small and close everything is. In our week there, we did have to stop at POR once with a shared bus (mid-day to HS). After hitting all four stops at POR we swore we would never want to do that every single time!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

POFQ
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Love the PO resorts.

POFQ for size and relaxation. BEIGNETS! Standard rooms at POFQ have better décor than standard rooms at POR AB. Pool slide is better for smaller kids.

POR for Atmosphere and wide variety of activities (they also have a TS but I've never eaten there). Also has rooms for 5. They have the Royal Rooms that are pretty princess-ey (and the price reflects that). Better pool slide/more pool options. (however POFQ and POR are sister resorts and guests may use pools at either resort). POR usually has better discounts than POFQ.

Both have the boats to DTD and as far as I'm concerned that gives them a big old thumbs up over any resort value/mod/deluxe on Disney property.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US (in planning)

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Love the PO resorts.

POFQ for size and relaxation. BEIGNETS! Standard rooms at POFQ have better décor than standard rooms at POR AB. Pool slide is better for smaller kids.
Forgot to add beignets to the list of reasons we prefer POFQ!!!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL and CBR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

They are considered sister resorts, so as others have mentioned you can take advantage of the amenities of both. You're really just choosing which things you want to be closer to, and that is up to what ever you prefer.

For more info and a bunch of pictures of each resort, check out portorleans.org. That will help give you a feel for each and let you know which you'd prefer.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
MinnieGirlNE
Earning My Ears

You'll be happy either way.

We've stayed at both and like all above both have their advantages. I'll echo that in some ways we preferred the POR (AB- in fact) because of the quiet pools. I like to swim laps even on vacation and I almost always had the pool outside of my room to myself. Having said that I should mention we did research and specifically requested a room by the lobby and first pick up station for the buses and paid extra to have a "preferred room" and it was worth it there as I didn't like how spread out it was or how long of a walk it would have been from some of those bus stops. I did enjoy the food court there too but it was always crowded.

POFQ was where we stayed last year with our 12 year old. The one bus stop is so much more convenient but did make for very crowded buses some times as we went in October. And a huge convenience came at the end of the night when the parks closed- the size of POR means LOTS of folks waiting in lines and sometimes waiting 2 or 3 buses to get home- whereas at POFQ stop we always seemed to get everyone on the one bus- even at park closing. When it was my husband and I at POR we didn't mind finding creative ways to get to POR during these crowded times but traveling with my daughter after a day at the parks I often just wanted to get back to our room the most direct route. POFQ pool was crowded BUT right by the laundry building which we utilized and were so happy with its location almost in the center of the buildings that you don't feel like you're too far away from it from your room but, could swim while things washed. When we go with our kids I think we'll always do POFQ if we do a moderate, but I'd like to think we'd go back to POR sometime - I did enjoy my stay there but the convenience of FQ just can't be beat! (NOTE: when I went to POR I never looked for laundry as I didn't plan on doing it, so their laundry may be very convenient too- I was just so impressed with FQs!)

Tough but amazingly FUN decision for you!
MinnieGirlNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

You can't go wrong with either one. Port Orleans is the family favorite, some prefer POFQ, others POR. If you are hoping for a discount, POFQ usually has, at the most, 5% off. Where as POR, can offer discounts up to 25% off. As with any discount, room availability can vary.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
Bellabully
Official Disney Addict

Another vote for POFQ. The smaller size is absolutely easier to navigate with a small child. My DD loved the pool. The staff there was very friendly as well!

Me DH DD
September 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2011 & June 2012: Boardwalk Villas, April 2013: Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas, April 2014: Beach Club Villas, April 2015 Beach Club Villas
Bellabully is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: