Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer

Did your kids like the Grand Floridian better than Contemporary?

We had planned on staying at the Poly until I called and found out that the construction will still be going on in 2015. They said it should be done by March 2015 (which was when we were planning on going), but we all know that construction being completed on time doesn't happen very often. So, now that we aren't going to the Poly, we have been looking into the other 2 monorail resorts. I think I am leaning towards the GF just because of that cute splash water area. We stayed at SSR last year and it had a similar water area for kids that my 2 sons LOVED and still talk about. I also like the CR, but the pool area looks better at the GF. Did your kids like the GF? Did your kids like CR better? The theme looks a little more adult at the GF, so I am sure DH and I would like it, but what about the kids? I am guessing if my boys liked SSR, they would like GF too, right? Do you think they would like CR better? Any info you could give me would be great. Thanks!

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
eliz603
Mouseketeer

My 2 older kids have loved our stays at CR and BLT. While we haven't stayed at GF, we have been their several times, eaten there, etc. My oldest DS has zero interest in GF. Actually, last year he complained when we ate at QS there. He just can't stand the theming!

BLT 2013, POR 2013, Grand Californian 2010, Contemporary 2009, Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Lodge 2006, Beach Club 1996, CBR1995, Wilderness Lodge 1995, prior visits CBR, The Disney Inn, Disney Villas, plus lots of day trips back to 1982!

eliz603 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
nalajms
DIS Veteran

My kids loved the kiddie splash area at GF. My older one didn't care for the pool at BLT (didn't go to CR). But he did try the small slide at the BLT pool. At GF, we'd go back and forth between the kiddie splash area and the big pool, bc of the hot tub. It was Thanksgiving, so warm enough to be in the pool but chilly towards the end of the night.

GF is also great because the kiddie area is away from the main pool so we didn't have to fight for seating space.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife View Post
We had planned on staying at the Poly until I called and found out that the construction will still be going on in 2015. They said it should be done by March 2015 (which was when we were planning on going), but we all know that construction being completed on time doesn't happen very often. So, now that we aren't going to the Poly, we have been looking into the other 2 monorail resorts. I think I am leaning towards the GF just because of that cute splash water area. We stayed at SSR last year and it had a similar water area for kids that my 2 sons LOVED and still talk about. I also like the CR, but the pool area looks better at the GF. Did your kids like the GF? Did your kids like CR better? The theme looks a little more adult at the GF, so I am sure DH and I would like it, but what about the kids? I am guessing if my boys liked SSR, they would like GF too, right? Do you think they would like CR better? Any info you could give me would be great. Thanks!
We chose GF for the more themed pool areas, and more "resort"-y feel of the GF versus the CR....the splash area at GF is cute, but keep in mind that if one or both of your children are over 48", they won't be able to use it as there are height restrictions. Oh, and we have two girls.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz603 View Post
My 2 older kids have loved our stays at CR and BLT. While we haven't stayed at GF, we have been their several times, eaten there, etc. My oldest DS has zero interest in GF. Actually, last year he complained when we ate at QS there. He just can't stand the theming!
That's just too funny. I posted on the GF thread earlier today about our choice for January 2015. Our boys are ages 14, 13 and 7 and we've stayed at every mod and deluxe, except for GF, so they have some basis for comparison. I said Poly is out because the forecasted construction is just too much. Our youngest chose GF (it's his birthday, so he gets to choose a resort for two nights before we transfer to BWI for the rest of the trip.) Our oldest is so anti-GF, it's become a thing now. So our two teens are lobbying him to choose WL or CR.

But we're sticking with GF. I think they will all end up liking it, and it's a clear choice for our 7-year-old birthday boy. He's excited about the RPC lounge, thinks the lobby looks nice, wants to be on the monorail and is REALLY excited about the pool and Alice water play area (although not sure how much we'll use that in January - it's always unpredictable then!) I wonder if the older two will change their minds after actually staying there!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/???)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We would love to stay at GF someday - the theme is beautiful. My husband and I absolutely adore Contemporary/BLT, but the themeing is a bit sterile. The pools aren't anything special, the look of the rooms is clean and sharp, but it is what it is: contemporary. There's nothing bad about that and we adore being able to walk to MK (we hate the transportation getting to that particular park), but my kids were definitely more thrilled about the theme at AK:KV than Contemporary. However, the loved watching the fireworks from the room at BLT.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

this turned out longer then I intended....long story short - I would book the GF.

We have a 4 year old son too and our son loves both resorts. the poly is my favorite resort but the grand floridian is really a very close second....very close. Thats not something I would have said or ever thought possible before staying there. The GF is every bit as kid friendly as any of the other resorts and there is a lot of great kid stuff there. its actually my husband's favorite resort and our son LOVED it. Keep in mind the limit for the splash pad is low...48 inches or so. I'd guess your 7 year old may be too big or may not be but even the life guard on duty was commenting on the low max. the beach pool is great with the monorail in the back and the lagoon views in front and the courtyard pool is awesome too. We think they work great for our son....better then say SAB at his age. there are a lots of food options and we loved taking the monorail to the mk and then taking the boat back. depending on which building you're in the boat could be almost door to door service. We enjoyed the arcade area too.

All the rooms at the GF should be redone by the time you visit which will be nice. I will say the dated bedspreads are a downside when you consider the high price tag, but that shouldn't be any trouble for you given your dates. I know all the resorts do this but we enjoyed the marshmallow toasting and movies on the beach.

Another GF downside for us (we were in sugarloaf so no theme park views) was having to go down to the dock by narcoosee for fireworks and the water parade. Obviously you could sit on your own deck if you had a tpv room. The dock was crowded and we didn't love the point of view (just us). We may have missed a better place to watch but I really can't think of one. I can't stress enough that you shouldn't worry about the GF being too adult or too stuffy as I often see people say about the resort before they stay there. its a wdw resort and is VERY kid friendly.

Whichever hotel you select, if it fits the budget i'd suggest trying club level out. our son always seems to make friends in the lounge and enjoy himself (appropriately and supervised by us) while we have a drink and depending on which cl we're at enjoy the views. check in is extra easy and at the GF we were taken directly to our room to check in as opposed to the desks. if you're driving in they will follow by golf cart to the parking area if you don't valet. then load your luggage on the cart and take you back. parking lot at gf is across the street (not a bad walk or anything, but still nice to get a ride). also, we were given a tour of the resort by golf cart before checking in which was nice. And before you even get there I like having Ipo to communicate with. They will handle a lot of issues for you that might otherwise involve spending a good bit of time on the phone. I like to shoot off an email and when they get back to me they've usually answered my question and/or solved the issue within a few hours (i believe they say 24 hours but its been quicker in our experience). We don't usually use the ipo to make our dining reservations because by the time we book 9 times out of 10 we're well passed 180 days out and I've probably gone to make the reservations right after booking. However after arrival, we commonly change plans for later in the week and ask that something be booked for us (giving them some parameters....dates...time ranges...a few options) and they handle the monitoring of that and i can enjoy my pool or park time

The contemporary is a great resort too and I honestly don't think you can go wrong but if i was deciding i'd go with the GF. To be totally honest its the only resort I didn't stay at and compare to the poly the entire time We often start out booking to give other resorts a try (our poly cl stay coming up in 2 days went from a bwi/blt split to a yc/cl/wl/cl split to a yc/cl/polycl split and now we're just doing the entire thing poly cl). If you're set on avoiding the poly, I'd give the GF a try. sorry this response was so long, but I usually like a detailed response. If you don't I apologize

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post
this turned out longer then I intended....long story short - I would book the GF.

Whichever hotel you select, if it fits the budget i'd suggest trying club level out. our son always seems to make friends in the lounge and enjoy himself (appropriately and supervised by us) while we have a drink and depending on which cl we're at enjoy the views. check in is extra easy and at the GF we were taken directly to our room to check in as opposed to the desks. if you're driving in they will follow by golf cart to the parking area if you don't valet. then load your luggage on the cart and take you back. parking lot at gf is across the street (not a bad walk or anything, but still nice to get a ride). also, we were given a tour of the resort by golf cart before checking in which was nice. And before you even get there I like having Ipo to communicate with. They will handle a lot of issues for you that might otherwise involve spending a good bit of time on the phone. I like to shoot off an email and when they get back to me they've usually answered my question and/or solved the issue within a few hours (i believe they say 24 hours but its been quicker in our experience). We don't usually use the ipo to make our dining reservations because by the time we book 9 times out of 10 we're well passed 180 days out and I've probably gone to make the reservations right after booking. However after arrival, we commonly change plans for later in the week and ask that something be booked for us (giving them some parameters....dates...time ranges...a few options) and they handle the monitoring of that and i can enjoy my pool or park time

The contemporary is a great resort too and I honestly don't think you can go wrong but if i was deciding i'd go with the GF. To be totally honest its the only resort I didn't stay at and compare to the poly the entire time We often start out booking to give other resorts a try (our poly cl stay coming up in 2 days went from a bwi/blt split to a yc/cl/wl/cl split to a yc/cl/polycl split and now we're just doing the entire thing poly cl). If you're set on avoiding the poly, I'd give the GF a try. sorry this response was so long, but I usually like a detailed response. If you don't I apologize
Just wanted to second the CL suggestion. Our boys love CL, and it makes the trip so much easier!! And our youngest son is always making friends in the club lounge. Jen, we're arriving for our short Poly CL stay on Monday, so if you see a very small, talkative 7-year-old in the lounge, you've found us!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/???)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Just wanted to second the CL suggestion. Our boys love CL, and it makes the trip so much easier!! And our youngest son is always making friends in the club lounge. Jen, we're arriving for our short Poly CL stay on Monday, so if you see a very small, talkative 7-year-old in the lounge, you've found us!
awesome! I'll be there with our super talkative almost 5 year old boy and his super talkative best friend, her mom and baby brother. We'll be hard to miss i'm sure

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at the CR, but we love the GF. The GF is a great resort and although it might seem more adult-oriented, it has just as many kids and is just as kid friendly as any of the other resorts. We don't have little kids, but the new splash pad area looks great for little ones. With that said, even though the Poly is our favorite resort, the GF runs a close second and would be my choice over the CR. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife View Post
My kids absolutely LOVE the GF RCP. They don't even want to hear about staying anywhere else. My 6 yr DS keeps talking about our upcoming trip and he doesn't even mention the parks. All he talks about is the GF and the gold elevators. However, this year I have added a couple of days to our trip which will be a surprise to the rest of the family. We will be trying out CR Atrium CL for a couple of days before we return home. We'll see how that goes . I hope it doesn't backfire on me. Not even DH knows.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

My kids also love the GF. While we don't dislike the CR, I think we all agreed it's our least favorite resort of the ones we've stayed in (though the location and TPV can't be beat!)
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
annakate27
Mouseketeer

We love the GF!!!! We have stayed at BLT, CR and GF. GF is our fave by far. We love everything about it and the CL there is amazing. We have stayed in SugarLoaf and RPC and loved both. We are doing RPC again this falll. We have also done CL at CR and it pales in comparision, but then again thats just my opinion! We are a family of 9 (2 grandparents, 4 adults, 8 yr girl, 4 yr old girl and 1 yr old boy) and this is one thing we all agree on GF is the way to go!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7)

annakate27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: