Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
pad406
DIS Veteran

Need some advice

Ok, so when I finally priced up our planned trip over Christmas, and when Excel finally managed to add up the massive numbers and I picked myself off the floor , I said OK, it's time to look at alternatives. We were (are) hoping to stay at the BC for the WDW portion of our trip (Dec 27th to Jan 10th) but that's coming out at (gulp) $9,000 hotel only. Ouch. So alternatives then, scale back to the Dolphin/Swan, same area but not Disney and that is so much part of it for us. Try a moderate, saving of $5000ish depending on resort, either POR or CBR seem nice. But that means missing out on the convenience of the location. AKL is a bit cheaper, but so far away, if we wanted to stay Deluxe (we do like AKL except for the location). Or lastly, rent some DVC, if that would even be possible at time of year. For BCV this would save us the same as moving to a moderate, even after buying annual passes! Doubt it if'd we'd get back within 12 months to use them again, but you'd never know. Any opinions or other alternatives greatly appreciated.

Donations to the cause also accepted
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Redarrow5150
DIS Veteran

Well that depends? Are you park hounds? Why not stay at a value resort for half the trip and go to a deluxe for the remainder of your vacation?
Redarrow5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

I think that POR is a great compromise. The grounds there at Christmas are stunning. They have poinsettias planted on property and it is a beautiful resort. One of the things that I like about POR is that transportation to any of the parks is not so far. While it isn't super close to any one park like a monorail resort or Epcot resort it seems like it doesn't take that long to get to most of them. I would spend the extra on a preferred room as it can be a hike around the resort. I love taking the boat to DTD as well.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
sndral
DIS Veteran

The week of Christmas/New Years is the most expensive @ WDW, the week after costs a lot less. You could do a split stay, staying that first more expensive week at the moderate that appeals to you and then moving for the second, less expensive week to the BC. Another possibility is the WL. It's a boat ride away from the MK, the same price as AKL, and has a fantastic Christmas tree and a large rock fireplace, IMO WL has some of the best Christmas decorations.
For $9000 you could almost buy your own resale DVC points, rather than renting not sure what inventory would be available to rent for Christmas/New Years week and whether it would be cheaper depends on what size unit you are looking for and which property, David's DVC rental has a handy cost calculator on his site.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Let me throw some other options your way:

- Have you considered a room in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary? It still sleeps 5, lets you walk to the Magic Kingdom, and is cheaper than the Beach Club. Being that you're going at Christmas, the pull of Stormalong Bay isn't as big an issue.

- If you're fewer than 5 people, how about the Wilderness Lodge? It's another Deluxe, close to the Magic Kingdom, but considerably cheaper than the Beach Club. (Though, again, it's not good if you're a family of 5-- their standard rooms only sleep 4.)

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
pad406
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow5150 View Post
Well that depends? Are you park hounds? Why not stay at a value resort for half the trip and go to a deluxe for the remainder of your vacation?
Bit of a mixture really. We tend to take breaks, doing mornings and late evenings. But we also do full days in the park till late especially if a shopping day falls either side. The split is an option that we are considering, probably the BC being the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybeth75 View Post
I think that POR is a great compromise. The grounds there at Christmas are stunning. They have poinsettias planted on property and it is a beautiful resort. One of the things that I like about POR is that transportation to any of the parks is not so far. While it isn't super close to any one park like a monorail resort or Epcot resort it seems like it doesn't take that long to get to most of them. I would spend the extra on a preferred room as it can be a hike around the resort. I love taking the boat to DTD as well.
I think of all the moderates POR would be our preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
The week of Christmas/New Years is the most expensive @ WDW, the week after costs a lot less. You could do a split stay, staying that first more expensive week at the moderate that appeals to you and then moving for the second, less expensive week to the BC. Another possibility is the WL. It's a boat ride away from the MK, the same price as AKL, and has a fantastic Christmas tree and a large rock fireplace, IMO WL has some of the best Christmas decorations.
For $9000 you could almost buy your own resale DVC points, rather than renting not sure what inventory would be available to rent for Christmas/New Years week and whether it would be cheaper depends on what size unit you are looking for and which property, David's DVC rental has a handy cost calculator on his site.
David's DVC is where I got the price. Unfortunately they are unwilling to give me even an estimate of how likely they could get a rental and how long it might take. This is really what's stopping us as I don't want to leave it too late to book normally while waiting for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Let me throw some other options your way:

- Have you considered a room in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary? It still sleeps 5, lets you walk to the Magic Kingdom, and is cheaper than the Beach Club. Being that you're going at Christmas, the pull of Stormalong Bay isn't as big an issue.

- If you're fewer than 5 people, how about the Wilderness Lodge? It's another Deluxe, close to the Magic Kingdom, but considerably cheaper than the Beach Club. (Though, again, it's not good if you're a family of 5-- their standard rooms only sleep 4.)
Have priced both and neither offers enough savings over the BC to offset the convenience of the Epcot area. Strangely the YC is nearly $1000 cheaper than the BC as there are no standard rooms showing for the BC (via the European web site, they are on the US site). Being Irish (used to colder weather) the pool and even the water parks will get used.

Any opinions on the CBR preferred location?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I like CBR a lot and I would shell out the extra dollars for a preferred room. Nice sized rooms, colorful theming, numerous pools. I also find it to be a very quiet resort if you like midday naps.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
Have priced both and neither offers enough savings over the BC to offset the convenience of the Epcot area. Strangely the YC is nearly $1000 cheaper than the BC as there are no standard rooms showing for the BC (via the European web site, they are on the US site). Being Irish (used to colder weather) the pool and even the water parks will get used.
I personally prefer the YC over the BC, same amenities, but w/ the YC you know you'll get a balcony v. the BC, where you have a 50/50 chance. YC is a bit quieter as well, IMO.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
David's DVC is where I got the price. Unfortunately they are unwilling to give me even an estimate of how likely they could get a rental and how long it might take. This is really what's stopping us as I don't want to leave it too late to book normally while waiting for them.
Christmas is one of the busiest times for DVC. Many rooms are already gone for Christmas and NYE. If you're looking for a studio, it's going to be hard to get. Some 1bd may still be available.

Quote:
Any opinions on the CBR preferred location?
We were at CBR last fall. It was a last minute Jetblue package. I like the resort. DH did not. He didn't care for the room size, bed size, and layout. We have only ever stayed at DVC or deluxe. The resorts itself was great. I loved the food court. It's a lot more options than the Beach Club Marketplace or Boardwalk Bakery.

The kids loved the play ground and water play area.

I didn't care for the multiple bus stops, but it's no worse than at BW going to Swan/Dolphin and sometimes BC/YC.

The only downside is not having the ease and many dining options when staying near Epcot. And it's a big change going thru the front of Epcot.

Oh and the rooms open out into the sidewalk, so you get the portable AC unit thing rather than just a digital control like in DVC. That took a bit to get used to bc it can be loud when it turns on.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
rpcvpanama
Mouseketeer

I would be very skeptical of being able to book a DVC villa for that time period at this late date. Not only does your trip fall over New Years but also runs into Marathon Weekend. The DVC villas book up around the 11month mark for those time periods. Even if Disney shows villa availability on their website that does not mean that DVC has villas for rent.

We have been to Swan/Dolphin many times and love the location. I think the hotel is great and while it doesn't offer as much "theming" as the Disney resorts we love it for the location. Just keep in mind that they don't use Magical Express and as of now you cannot book your fastpass+ 60 days in advance, though that may change. They do get the extra magic hours and use of on-site Disney transportation.

But, I think a split stay would work as well. Also, don't be afraid to try out AKL. It is a beautiful resort and while it is further out than most other resorts it has a dedicated bus system so no sharing. The only trip that is a little long is to MK the others are doable. If you are planning on renting a car then that at least eliminates the bus issue.
rpcvpanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Here's the thing......you aren't going to get a great rate with a great location. You need to decide what is most important to you. Easy access to a park is going to cost you. If you really need to be close to Epcot, book the S/D. No, they don't have that over the top Disney theming everywhere. But they are terrific hotels. You do have to provide your own transportation ro and from the airport. And you can't add the DDP.
If that isn't your cup of tea, I would go with POR. I love this resort. Staying there in June, after my BWV stay....very excited to be going back there. It is a beautiful resort, with decent dining. Buses are good.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
pad406
DIS Veteran

Thanks everybody for all the replies. POR is looking better and better to me every day. Now just have to convince DW (she is a princess after all and needs her luxury). The way I look on it is that what we save in POR pays the flights for the next trip
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Check out Portorleans.org it is a site dedicated to the POR resorts. The have boats to DTD, horse and carriage rides, and it is pretty centrally located. I enjoy staying in deluxes as well, but for me POR will always be home as it was the first Disney resort we really fell in love with.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: