Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
CoreyGirl
Earning My Ears

Contemplating a Split Stay - Pros/Cons??

I'd love some feedback on this!

We'll be visiting in October, as we have for the past 2 years. We usually stay at All-Star Music and are happy with the resort. It's just right for the kids and we spend most of our time at the parks anyway.

This year we're thinking of spending our last 2 nights at Port Orleans - Riverside, in a Royal room as an extra treat to DD6 and DD4.

I've not done a split stay before. . any drawbacks or things to keep in mind? Will we lose much park time with the transfer?

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Upcoming:
October 2014 ASMusic

Previous:
October 2013 ASMusic, October 2012 ASMusic, May 2012 Ft. Wilderness, May 2000 Ft. Wilderness/ASMusic
October 1987 Caribbean Beach Resort, Many other off-site as well!
CoreyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

You don't need to lose any park time. Drop your bags off at bell services at ASMusic and pick them up at POR bell services when you are ready to leave the parks and check in. You can also call to have them delivered to your room of course. Bell services will even refrigerate groceries if you have anything that need to be kept cold. If you plan ahead and pack your clothing for POR separately you can just put your toiletries in the POR bag when you pack up at Music. That saves you unpacking everything a second time. It is a very easy process. If we are planning to park hop then we often go check in on our way to the next park.
mkarizona is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Last year we did 2 nights AKL and then POR where our FD and park package started. Baggage transfer was easy. Only costs are Bellservices tips.
Since we spent only 2 nites at AKL we dWeidnt have much to pack anyways.. ONe tip is if possible pack a carry one for the first part but your two days are at the end so that wont work.

the only thing I would have done differently is started the package resort stay first. ex. Our FD package with parks was for 6 nights/ 7 day parks.. but 2 nites AKL with no parks.. You can always add more park days to a package, still check out and use the park days. So for us we should have done package and then AKL and we could have added 2 days extra parks.. When looking at how they tier the park fees its peanuts compared to buying 2 days extra...

took me 2 yrs to realize this doh!
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
happymommy
DIS Veteran

To me, it's a pain to pack up and move once I've settled into a room or villa. I know you can leave your bags to be moved, but you still have to pack up your toiletries and hanging clothes and then unpack again.

I've done split stays, but not that I had planned them. I just got deals where it worked out that way. If I had a choice, I would pick a place and settle in. Much more relaxing to me.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Pros of split stays:

You get to experience 2 resorts. We feel that it is almost like having 2 vacations in one.

You can take advantage of the differing benefits of different resorts. For example, you can travel to the theme parks that are closest to each resort. This can save travel time. Another example, do Downtown Disney while at POR and the AK while at the All Star.

You can stay at a less expensive resort in order to make a more expensive resort affordable for a shorter stay.

When you simply can't decide between 2 resorts, just do both! Problem solved!

If you get a less than perfect room at one resort, you have the opportunity to get something better when you move.

Cons of split stays:

Package reservations can be more complicated to figure out.

MOving day involves several hours when you are 'homeless'. This is a problem to some people, but not so much for others that simply enjoy the theme parks or pool during that time.

There is some small expense in tips associated with moving.

You have to check in a second time

Packing / unpacking has to be done on moving day. Some people find it disruptive, others don't mind the process.

Basically, you have to be a bit more organized to minimize the effort required by moving. For some people experiencing two or more resorts is worth the effort. For others the disruption detracts too much from the enjoyment of the moving day.

Personally, I LOVE split stays and try to do one on every trip that is a week or longer. My rule of thumb is to try to stay 3 nights per resort to really get the feel of the resort. 2 nights are doable if you have a longer stay elsewhere to get a settled feeling.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
CoreyGirl
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I appreciate the info - can definitely see the pros and cons. . .just have to make a decision now!

Upcoming:
October 2014 ASMusic

Previous:
October 2013 ASMusic, October 2012 ASMusic, May 2012 Ft. Wilderness, May 2000 Ft. Wilderness/ASMusic
October 1987 Caribbean Beach Resort, Many other off-site as well!
CoreyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

What I do it have a longer and shorter stay. Ie 2 nights at the Hilton followed by six nights at the GF. On the shorter of the two stays I don't fully unpack. Organization is key for a split stay.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Jake & Crew
Mouseketeer

We love split stays!

We usually do a water park on our changeover day. That gives us a chance to have slower morning packing and checking out since we are not rushing to get as much park time in. We then take the bus to water lark of choice, day flies by and we take the bus to our new home when done .....very exciting!

One thing to caution is if you are on the dining plan...we haven't done this in several years but how it traditionally worked was your plan was tied to your resort reservation. This means if you stayed three days at AKL for example and checked out on Tuesday to move to BC you had until midnight Tuesday to use all your credits from the dining plan from your AKL reservation. Of course this can be an advantage as well if you only want to do the dining plan for part you only have to buy for one reservation.

One more tip..I would plan my resorts opposite of my example.....stay at the resort near the park you want to explore the most first. The perk of. Being near a park is to be close to it. The resort that is the further distance I would stay at later as that is when you might just kick back and enjoy the resort more. For example AKL was a great ending resort for us and we did not visit AK until we were there. We also did not go back to Epcot or the Studio once we moved out of the Epcot area. We did MK from both resorts.

Whatever you decide is a win-win....it is Disney!
4/08 BWV & OKW ~ 8/10 BWV & AKLV ~ 8/12 BCV & AKLV

Next Up: BWV + BCV + BLT with Grandparents ~ August 2014!!!!

Jake & Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Just make sure you have your important things you need with you (like medications and such) we did a split stay at pofq changing to POR on our last trip. We stayed at pofq for just one night then changed to POR for the fd portion of our pkg. When bell services came that morning they said we would have our luggage by 5pm at POR. (This was at 7am) when we got back from the parks that night there was no luggage. I called bell services at POR and they said it had never left pofq and this was at 7pm. Needless to say after some heated words at bell services I finally got my luggage around 9pm. Not sure if this is the norm but it should not have taken so long when these two resort's are within walking distance of each other.

77,79,88 OS-89,92 FW-96 ASMo-05,07,09,11 POP-13 POFQ/POR-2015 POP

Dad-Mom-Son
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
eliz603
Mouseketeer

We are doing our second split stay this year. Both times, we spent 1 night elsewhere before moving to our main resort for our stay. This year, we will have 1 night in a Cars suite at AoA before moving for 5 nights at OKW.

Some things that we encountered/learned:

*We had a package booked through our BLT stay, and our POR room was just for our arrival night. In order to activate the package, we had to check in at BLT before going to the parks. This took more time than anticipated due to a snag with getting stuck in a Magic Band test. But just keep in mind about the second check in if you are doing a package based on the second stay.

*I wish we had just taken a taxi from POR to BLT. Instead, we took a bus to the MK and walked over. The taxi would have been much faster, and we the time savings would have been nice.

*I don't worry about unpacking, repacking and unpacking again. I just pack a separate bag for our split stay. We are driving this year, and we'll just take the one specially packed bag in. We aren't messing with all the luggage.

BLT 2013, POR 2013, Grand Californian 2010, Contemporary 2009, Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Lodge 2006, Beach Club 1996, CBR1995, Wilderness Lodge 1995, prior visits CBR, The Disney Inn, Disney Villas, plus lots of day trips back to 1982!

eliz603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

We are doing a split stay for the first time this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smooth from GF to CR. It's a surprise for DH and the kids. Not really sure what they will think as they love GF so much. We'll see how it goes.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
nbenson
Earning My Ears

I had this idea, so glad to hear it works.
nbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I love split stays!! I try to do it fairly often. I usually hand off my bags to Bell Services by 8am. Then, I head to a park. Around lunchtime I head to the new resort and get checked in. If my room isn't ready yet, I will grab a bite to eat at the resort...hopefully the room will become ready by the time I'm done eating. If not, back to a park for the rest of the afternoon.
With kids....I would bring bathing suits with me that day. Then, you can checkin at POR, if the room isn't ready yet, grab a bite to eat and head for the pool!

My issue is the length of time it takes for your bags to get to you. I have never, ever had my bags before 5pm!!!d So, try to have a bag with you that has anything you may need for the rest of the day. You can always rent a locker at the park and stow the bag.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
coolbrook
Mouseketeer

I've toyed with this idea, but didn't feel like I had enough info to pull it off. this thread has been very helpful. I have a couple more questions. If you had your own car would you just put your luggage in your car, drive to the park, and unload at the new park or is it easier to have bell services do it? If you do use bell services how do you do the tipping? Do you tip when you drop off your luggage, when you pick it up, or only when they bring it to your room. Will they bring it in your room if you aren't there, and if they do how do you tip? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

We are doing a crazy split stay in August, 6 nights BWV 1BR villa, 2 nights Hard Rock (we have 1 day left from old 3 day tickets that must be used this year), 4 nights Contemporary, then 3 night Disney Cruise. Wasn't originally planning on all the moves, but it worked out that way with all the discounts, and changing seasons over the trip. Hopefully we will be happy with it.
Donna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: