Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #76
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Why do you suppose the OP schedules 3 or 4 days in the MK each trip? If they used to be able to do everything 3 or 4 times, are they now just supposed to be grateful that they can do everything once or twice?

If your favorite restaurant all of a sudden cut their portions in half, how excited would you be? And if they raised prices while doing that?
Exactly. That's where the "mickey tinted glasses" comment comes from. I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the insanity in ignore such facts.

Quote:
OP, I hope it works out better than you are expecting. It's always frustrating when there's something you enjoy, something that just "works" for you and your family....... that undergoes a major change.
Thank you, I'll see how things go in the next few days but at this point I booked a room only reservation anticipating cancelling the package in 14 days.

I drive for our main 2 week vacation yearly (I take weekends on both sides so I wind up with about 17 days) so I don't have to worry about air reservations for this trip.

I may skip Florida and do something else for a week for now and wait and see what happens by September and take two weeks then instead.

Times running out though. Especially is we decide to fly elsewhere during that time period, I'd prefer not to pay through the nose for airfare.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #77
anniemck
DIS Veteran

I just don't get what the fuss is about. Walk in the park you want to visit, and go to the ride you want to ride, wait in line, ride and move on to the next. What did y'all do before the days of fastpass?

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #78
Cee
DIS Veteran

We are heading down in May and have no intention of using the FP. We never have. We fly by the seat of our pants! It seems astonishing to many, but has always worked for us. No expectation, no disappointment. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #79
Julylady
DIS Veteran

We were never a family to ride the same ride over and over on the same trip. There was just too many other things to do. We did, however, use Fast pass for about 4-6 rides per day at MK. We just returned from our first Magic Band trip in early March. I had doubts about it after reading all the negative comments on this Board, but I decided to go with an open mind.

Overall, I liked it, I really liked it! We still did rope drop, but now we ALL went to our first ride rather than sending a runner for a fast pass. We reserved most of our FPs for evening times, which worked great. We did a lot of rides in the mornings, saw the parade in the afternoon as well as did non-FP activities like the Riverboat. We enjoyed a nice sit down dinner and then used our Fast passes. Like others have said, it was a much more relaxing trip!

I actually found the enforcement of Fast pass return times to have negatively influenced our touring plans much more so than Fast pass plus.

My conclusion after reading all the threads is that if your family was a hard core commando group for whom park enjoyment was based on the number of rides per day/repeated rides, you are not going to see anything good about the changes. Disney has basically cut you off at the knees. But, you represent only a small fraction of those who visit Disney World. Most people do not tour like you and for us, the new system works just fine. My only complaints are tiering (EP and HS) and only three fp at MK, and they are just minor things to me at this time.

The people I feel really sorry for are the first timers who don't have a clue what they are doing. This entire system is just overwhelming to them. I have tried to help a couple of people I work with, but there is so much they need to learn

Oh, about the suggestion to just go and wait in line.... That IS the deal breaker for me. Several years ago I went to Universal with group who didn't want to buy the front of the line pass. We waited 30-90 minutes for every single ride, or did single rider. I hated the whole day. Why go with a group of friends if you are going to do single rider? I vowed never to do that again, and I haven't. If we can't afford FOTL passes, we don't go. And, if Disney changes FP to the point that I have to swift more than 30 minutes for a ride, I will stop going.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #80
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
I just don't get what the fuss is about. Walk in the park you want to visit, and go to the ride you want to ride, wait in line, ride and move on to the next. What did y'all do before the days of fastpass?
I'm glad that works for you. But with FP now taking an estimated 70-90% of ride capacity, you can't just pretend it doesn't exist. In the days before fastpass standby was the only option. Now with FP patrons prioritized over standby you're basically just filling leftover spots. And that applies to far more rides than ever before.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #81
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I'm glad that works for you. But with FP now taking an estimated 70-90% of ride capacity, you can't just pretend it doesn't exist. In the days before fastpass standby was the only option. Now with FP patrons prioritized over standby you're basically just filling leftover spots. And that applies to far more rides than ever before.
This is what I dread the most. Everyone is focusing on the ease of having those FP+ times booked, without paying much attention to what FP+ is doing to the standby lines. Standby wait time at all attractions seems to be going up, up, up. I am fine with knowing when my FP+ time is… it's waiting 60 mins to get on IASW or HM that is worrying me. Last March, DD and I waited in a 90 minute line at TSMM; we'd never been on the ride and had about 2 hours to wait before our ADR at 50s Prime Time, so we decided, why not? What a nightmare! Try standing basically in one spot, on hard cement floors, for 90 minutes. I was a wreck after- my back just can't take that- and we barely made our ADR. Yes, yes, I know I'll never have to experience this again at TSMM because I can make a FP+ for it. What I worry about is having a similar experience at StarTours, Great Movie Ride, or Tower of Terror because my ability to pull a fastpass is restricted, and ALL standby lines are now increasing in time. I really, really don't want to wait in line 45 mins to an hour for attractions that usually have had 10-20 minute standby waits. THIS is what concerns me most about FP+.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #82
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Time spent waiting between fast passes was time better spent than standing in lines.
Don't forget -- standing in line can be very relaxing.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #83
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

OP, we all have different ideas on what relaxing is all about. I'm with you when it comes to time spent using FP- versus FP+. I much preferred our old way of touring and no one will convince me that I'm wrong (just as I won't convince others that they are wrong).

However...if you just want to relax why not skip the headliners except for those that you absolutely have to do? Eat at favorite restaurants, ride the minor rides, see some shows and movies, spend time out of the parks... Just some ideas while at the same time fully understanding what you mean.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #84
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee View Post
We are heading down in May and have no intention of using the FP. We never have. We fly by the seat of our pants! It seems astonishing to many, but has always worked for us. No expectation, no disappointment. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I would LOVE it if you would consider posting a review once you get back. There are those who say that it's not the same for those that don't use FP and some who say that they can't see much of a difference. I'd love to read an unbiased opinion.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #85
Mickfarland4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams0308 View Post
I'm confused...... I would LOVE to have a vacation planned for 60 days from now and also have on the plans 4-5 park days.

No one is FORCING you to use FP+. Yes, FP- isn't available, but if you want to take a relaxing vacation, why are you stressing about the FP+ situation to begin with? Like another poster said, why don't you just take it easy, not plan so much and enjoy just being in the parks, seeing the details, spending time together, plan some nice dinners, etc.? You said you would be spending 4-5 days in the MK, thats a lot of time to be able to spread out seeing lots of different things in one park without having to schedule and go commando.

I just don't get posts like this. If you really are that down about going on a vacation in 60 days, why not just cancel? Like I said, I would LOVE to have a trip in the works, it just confuses me so much that people are upset about going on vacation?? It's vacation. It is what you make of it. No one is making you to do anything.

Just my opinion - from someone in the north (where it's currently snowing for some reason) who has no plans for a vacation to WDW anytime soon, but would literally love to just go down and just BE there right now.
I don't get it either. My family has not been able to afford to go on a vacation since my husband and I went on our honeymoon in 2007! All these people that are on here complaining about the changes at Disney, I would be willing to change spots with you so that my 5 yo could go on a real vacation! Vacation is supposed to be fun and if I were in your shoes, I would not be worrying about FP+, I'd be so freaking happy I could go! Maybe you guys should consider the thousands of people that would love to be able to go to WDW once a year or even every few years as my family would.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #86
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfarland4 View Post
I don't get it either. My family has not been able to afford to go on a vacation since my husband and I went on our honeymoon in 2007! All these people that are on here complaining about the changes at Disney, I would be willing to change spots with you so that my 5 yo could go on a real vacation! Vacation is supposed to be fun and if I were in your shoes, I would not be worrying about FP+, I'd be so freaking happy I could go! Maybe you guys should consider the thousands of people that would love to be able to go to WDW once a year or even every few years as my family would.
I certainly hope that you get to go soon somehow but I don't see how this changes anything. If the current system doesn't work for the OP then it just simply doesn't work. As shoppers, we all have to decide every day whether something is worth it.

But again, I so hope that you get the chance to go soon!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #87
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Posts like this makes it really hard for me to feel sorry for you all. Disney is a luxury, and the beautiful thing is that there are many great places to vacation here in the United States.
Luxury is a very subjective thing. People in Ethiopia think 3 meals a day is a luxury. Someone driving a 1980 corrolla may think driving a 1995 corrolla is a luxury. Someone driving a brand new 2014 Focus may think driving a 2014 Mustang is a luxury... Perspective is everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfarland4 View Post
I don't get it either. My family has not been able to afford to go on a vacation since my husband and I went on our honeymoon in 2007!
Sorry to hear that. In 2007 my third daughter was a year old and we hadn't been on vacation in a long time too and we couldn't afford to for awhile after that either.

I worked hard, improved myself and now we can go to Disney once a year... or in this case what would have been our fourth trip in less than 4 years.

I never begrudged anyone for having that ability back when I couldn't... from the tone of your posts you seem to have some sort of issue with people who can. Why?

Quote:
All these people that are on here complaining about the changes at Disney, I would be willing to change spots with you so that my 5 yo could go on a real vacation!
What would you and yours realistically be willing to do in order to improve your spot? Eat out less? Put in more hours at work? Do a stellar job when you show up at work so you get a promotion? Get some better training so you can command a higher wage? Plenty of ways to get there, none of them are as easy as changing spots with someone.

Quote:
Vacation is supposed to be fun and if I were in your shoes, I would not be worrying about FP+, I'd be so freaking happy I could go! Maybe you guys should consider the thousands of people that would love to be able to go to WDW once a year or even every few years as my family would.
I don't understand. What does your families vacation plans/habits (or lack there of) have to do with mine?

Am I supposed to be grateful that some people are less fortunate than others? Should I disregard the hard work and sacrifices I put in every day to be able to do what I want to when I can?

You speak of consideration? If you *were* in my shoes, you'd realize the most precious asset you have is time. Spending all day in line queues is a waste of that time.

If going to WDW once a year was a top priority for someone, they'd find a way to make it happen.

We see it here with some members, they spend all year couponing so they can save the $2,000~ up to go down for a week at Pop Century. If some one wants something bad enough, they do what it takes to get it.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #88
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post

It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.
What the heck? I live in FL, I have an AP, I never used FP- and I rarely use FP+...and I can do 4 parks and all my favourite rides on a good day.

On a crowded day, we stay away or do things 'off-the-beaten-path'. I have no qualms with the system and I see a lot of potential for expanded use of it.

I know a lot of non-locals are angry with FP+, but please do not speak for an entire group like that. Jeez.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #89
MolonLabe
DTOM

My wife and I (both former Florida residents) decided we are going to cancel this trip.

We are selecting a cruise for the same week now, the plus side is we are going to save a boatload (pun intended) of money for a 7 or 8 day cruise as opposed to the 9 days in WDW we had planned.

Unless WDW fixes this mess, I'll probably cancel the BounceBack for a week at the Poly we booked while we were at Contemporary in September. We've still got about four and half months before the 45 day mark on that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Royal View Post
What the heck? I live in FL, I have an AP, I never used FP- and I rarely use FP+...and I can do 4 parks and all my favourite rides on a good day.

On a crowded day, we stay away or do things 'off-the-beaten-path'. I have no qualms with the system and I see a lot of potential for expanded use of it.

I know a lot of non-locals are angry with FP+, but please do not speak for an entire group like that. Jeez.
I'm a former Florida resident myself. I remember the pre FP days well. Being local and able to go on good (low) crowd days is one thing. Being local and going on a day of a 6-7+ is quite another.

Weird you never used FP... unless you went on off days almost exclusively.

Which is fine, our last trip in Sept we had several low crowd days and except for PP and BTMRR everything else was 10 min or less on those days. I don't see how that correlates to a moderate to busy park day though, which is exactly what crowds are like in the middle to end of May.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #90
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Royal View Post

You make a really good point. I think that this new FP+ is better for locals than tourists.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: