Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #46
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelcie View Post
True level threes do not exist any more, not even in September!!! It is always six and up! Disney knows how to fill their parks!
We had several 3 days last September during the week days.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #47
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I HEAR YOU, OP!!

Anyone who used FP- extensively knows we didn't spend all our time sending runners to pull FP, crossing the parks like madmen. It was all a question of balance. We'd go to an area and compare standby times with FP- return times, and balance the two. Between flexible fps and shorter (than currently reported) standby lines, we could count on being able to do whatever parts of the park whenever we wanted, and not be tied to hard-scheduled fp times and long standby lines.

I completely understand what the OP is dreading. I have that feeling of apprehension myself when contemplating how differently my next trip to Disney will shape up. I have decided that I am NOT going to even think about it, because our next trip is for a specific celebration that can't be moved, so we are going. However, I am not excited about the planning, and knowing I have to be in a specific park in a specific section at a specific time, and the option to this is standby lines that are out of control. Yeah, that has the makings of a relaxing vacation. It's very nerve wracking to feel like this, and it's not at all wrong for OP to be worrying about that next trip.

Thanks, I appreciate the support.

I hope things turn around for both are sakes. Dis boards are pretty biased, or Mickey tinted glass might be a better term. Out side of here, fp+ isn't getting anywhere near as high of reviews, percentage wise of people returning.

Wdw will have to do something, they'll be forced to at some point.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #48
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
First thank you for your experiences and for reading all of my posts, I can tell by your responses, thank you for that.

For us Disney is about the parks and what's in them.

We hit the beach for 4 to 5 days before going to WDW so pool time isn't high on our priorities, I do recognize that is important to some people.

Resort days aren't high on the list either, Disney rooms are cramped and unless we are off property, we use them for sleeping purposes pretty much exclusively.

We've got a pretty cool mini golf by us we frequent and during the winter we do indoor water park weekends, so BB and TL, while cool, isn't cool enough to skip a park day for.

The Florida trip is pretty much a given to visit my wife's mom (she meets us at the beach), If I cancel, I'll add on more beach days and probably do a bunch of sea world and universal days and skip WDW entirely for now.

I still have a bounce back at Poly for September booked. Maybe they'll fix it by then.

The huge down side is my girls know about this trip already.
I understand.

The other thing during my trip that I noticed is my kids still were having a really great time (they are 16 & 13). Yeah, we didn't get to ride the headliners multiple times like before, but we still could do Space Mountain 2 or 3 times by either riding it early upon open, having a fast pass, or riding it very late. Not as convenient as before, but not a deal breaker in their eyes.

Take a step back OP and evaluate your trip. Try not to focus on the negatives associated with FP+. Think about some of the attractions you can add that you haven't focused on in the past.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #49
PrncessA
DIS Veteran

I am of the opinion that if you go into anything expecting the worst, you are going to experience the worst. A positive attitude does wonders...

I personally think that FP+ is better for laid back touring. You schedule when you want to go to a ride, adjust if needed, instead of spending all of your time running from ride to ride collecting FPs and then making sure that you are at the correct ride at the correct time, and when you can get another FP, etc. Just my opinion. That to me is more stressful.

Of course I want my kids to ride the rides as many times as they want, but I however do not want Disney to become like any other theme park and only be concerned with going from ride to ride. That to me isn't Disney. Disney is an experience, and attractions are only PART of the experience.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #50
tink'smom2B
Chasing Tinkerbell Full Time

OP, I see your point! All this planning adds stress! We are having a big family party in May (19 people). I am the only planner. They are angry at me for trying to plan meals and rides. But, my family and I went last year for Easter without any fastpasses or dining reservations and I was disappointed. We waited in line for Test Track for 3 hours I keep telling them to make a fastpass selection, or dining reservations, and just drop them if you don't want them. They won't plan and just want to go with it. I admit that I never used fastpasses in the many previous trips, but I was so unhappy last year that I would rather plan something than stand in a line again for 3 hours! My daughter never did get on the Rockin Rollercoaster. The ride kept breaking down and in the end only fastpass people got on before they closed the park. My advice is make the reservations. If you don't want to use them, that's Ok. At least you have something! As for my big family, it's really going to be an interesting week!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #51
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I was at MK last week. I have no idea what the crowd level calendar said the crowd level was because I never bother to check it. We had FP+ for 3 of our favorite rides at reasonable times, managed to do all three, ride other favorites and still managed to ride several times on some of the rides during parades. We did not wait more than 20 minutes in any line, rode everything we wanted to ride and had a marvelous time. We were only in MK for one day, planned entirely the night before. It is doable, especially if this is a relaxing trip. We usually go in September, when the crowds are less. I think that if you are going in with the attitude that you are going to have a miserable time, then that is exactly what you will have. It reminds me of the parents of a young boy who were in line in front of us for Soarin' - after waiting for about 10 minutes, the mom said to the boy, who was about 3 or 4, "you aren't going to like this ride so we are going to leave". The boy walked passed us saying "I'm not going to like this ride." Of course not.

Go with an open mind and enjoy yourself!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #52
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope things turn around for both are sakes. Dis boards are pretty biased, or Mickey tinted glass might be a better term. Out side of here, fp+ isn't getting anywhere near as high of reviews, percentage wise of people returning.

We have not had the pleasure of using FP+ yet so I will reserve judgement until August when we are there. I do understand your frustration as we used FP- a lot when we were there, and we are relaxed when we tour the parks. I also read the other posts and agree it's hard to cancel a trip when the kids know about it. I do like the idea of the MB's and not having to carry my wallet and stuff into the parks. From the reports I have heard, it has been pretty easy to change a FP+ from your phone app if needed. As you have experienced using FP+, I won't try to tell you how to feel about it.

I do think that the system is still evolving and hopefully the changes and/or end product will help you fell better about your trips. If not, make the best of it this time and vacation somewhere else in the future. I would say go and enjoy your family, FP+ or not. That is really what is important. Have a good trip.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #53
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:

Really? With a thread right at the top of the page complaining about all the Disney-bashing here?

In other forums, the Disboards are (in)famous for their negativity and back-of-hand-to-the-forehead whining.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #54
nancipants
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.
I know. I'm heading to Magic Kingdom on Sunday and have my three Fast Passes planned out and don't have to worry about cramming everything in because I live fifteen minutes away and can go whenever I want.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #55
Kate and Family
Wiggling My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink'smom2B View Post
OP, I see your point! All this planning adds stress! We are having a big family party in May (19 people). I am the only planner. They are angry at me for trying to plan meals and rides. But, my family and I went last year for Easter without any fastpasses or dining reservations and I was disappointed. We waited in line for Test Track for 3 hours I keep telling them to make a fastpass selection, or dining reservations, and just drop them if you don't want them. They won't plan and just want to go with it. I admit that I never used fastpasses in the many previous trips, but I was so unhappy last year that I would rather plan something than stand in a line again for 3 hours! My daughter never did get on the Rockin Rollercoaster. The ride kept breaking down and in the end only fastpass people got on before they closed the park. My advice is make the reservations. If you don't want to use them, that's Ok. At least you have something! As for my big family, it's really going to be an interesting week!
I was in your position last visit. Family gets it now and are grateful that I worked so hard on planning. This time they are more participatory with the planning! lol
Good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #56
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
So I got my 'yeah you! 60 days out pick you fp+' e-mail today. This will be our fourth trip in just under 4 years and it all just sucks.

This was supposed to be our take it easy trip. First non deluxe dining take it easy, enjoy ourselves and bounce around happy fun time no schedules bonanza.

Given my FP/FP+ combo testing from our last trip, I was already not looking forward to being forced into Fp+ only but now that it's upon us... I want to cancel the trip.

Our touring plans make fp+ at MK a night mare. We'll spend 4, possibly five days in MK as it's our favorite park.

I think the only way to hit WDW from here on out will be completely off season with crowd levels of 3 or below.

Given unbiased reports of some friends , changing on site with crowd levels over 6 is difficult at best.

It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.
If you're spending more than 1 day in the Magic Kingdom, you're going to hit everything. I don't know why you would ever stress about this.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #57
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Nobody says you have to book anything 60 days out. Been using it awhile and haven't seen any problem with fastpasses running out. Rebooking while in the park did mean it was necessary to maybe take a later time than I wanted but booking in the morning or booking the day before takes care of that.

Was just there, I did lots of attractions at MK between 7 and midnight when it closed. Of course Space was down, Splash is closed and I didn't try Big Thunder or Peter Pan. But I did lots more even with just 3 FPs. There was even no line for Belle's Enchanted Tales at 11:30.

I don't know where the idea is coming from that FP+ is causing people to stay away from WDW. I think the biggest problem that will arise from it, is from persons who like to ride the same ride over and over again (the kind of rides that have lines). I rode the Peoplemover 3 times but it doesn't really get a line.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #58
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I opened this thread thinking you hard had a death in the family or had suddenly lost your job.

So glad to see it's not something along those lineS.

IF WDW is causing that level of stress, why not vacation elsewhere?

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #59
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

MolonLabe, you have every right to feel however you want about your upcoming vacation. You don't have to justify your feelings or explain yourself to anyone.

It is your money and your vacation on the line.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #60
Kate and Family
Wiggling My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
MolonLabe, you have every right to feel however you want about your upcoming vacation. You don't have to justify your feelings or explain yourself to anyone.

It is your money and your vacation on the line.
YEP... It was the OP's choice to post about their feelings and explanations! No one made them do it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: