Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #31
AlexLovesCats
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to make FP+ go away before your trip. You have two options

1- Cancel. Wait til things improve before returning.

2- Go and make the best of it.

Honestly I think you should go with option 1. It doesn't seem your willing to try to have a nice time. And with that mindset, it's pretty much guaranteed you won't enjoy the trip.

I just returned a few weeks ago. I read all the negative FP+ reviews, and I was nervous. Since it was already booked I thought "I'll make the best of it" I returned with the overall opinion that I don't like FP+. However, I had a great vacation! I realized that there's nothing I can do to make FP+ go away and back to FP-. Since I had a trip planned... I booked my FPs and made the most of it. Afterall it's rare that I get a vacation, might as well try to have a great time! And we did! It's possible to not like FP+ and still have a good vacation!

If you aren't able to go without the expectation "this is going to be awful" I really would cancel.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
mousehockey37
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
So I got my 'yeah you! 60 days out pick you fp+' e-mail today. This will be our fourth trip in just under 4 years and it all just sucks.

This was supposed to be our take it easy trip. First non deluxe dining take it easy, enjoy ourselves and bounce around happy fun time no schedules bonanza.

Given my FP/FP+ combo testing from our last trip, I was already not looking forward to being forced into Fp+ only but now that it's upon us... I want to cancel the trip.

Our touring plans make fp+ at MK a night mare. We'll spend 4, possibly five days in MK as it's our favorite park.

I think the only way to hit WDW from here on out will be completely off season with crowd levels of 3 or below.

Given unbiased reports of some friends , changing on site with crowd levels over 6 is difficult at best.

It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.
As has been entertained in threads elsewhere, the off season crowds are no off season anymore. As things are slowly getting better with the economy, more people are becoming able to go, and they're finding the times to go, so there are diminishing times where the park will be "empty" like before.

Also, the crowd estimators are just that, an estimate. What I consider crowded and what the estimator does may be a few numbers in difference. It's all preference.

Also, you don't have to use FP+, make some friends in the standby lines. If you're able to, you could actually wind up making better time in a standby line to get on a ride than with a FP+. Just keep an eye out for it. For instance, if you see the FP+ wait for HM is 60 but the standby is 15-20, it might go faster in the standby instead of burning a FP+. It just depends....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #33
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I have not had time to type it all up yet, but I was a staunch FP+ hater...worked so poorly for us last year. Got back Tuesday. Crowd level 9 some days during our trip. Never even saw a need to use our FP+ we had booked - lines were under 20 minutes at most times. Walked on to EE 3x on Sunday afternoon. That evening, most stuff was walk on or under 20 at MK.

I would not sweat it. This past trip was our take it easy trip, and never once felt rushed, stressed, or any affects of FP+...
Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #34
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate and Family View Post
I think this was a tongue in cheek spoof! LOL

If not, then Cancel, don't spend all that money to be miserable.
This!

I have to believe the OP is pulling our leg, and maybe having a little fun at the expense of the anti-FP+ crowd.

After all, why would anyone waste their time and money on something that's making them miserable? It's like the old joke, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Then stop doing it!"
Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #35
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Yeah....With the attitude of dread the OP seems to have, I have to agree with the other posters who say "cancel the trip".

Since ANY venture (vacation, trip to the grocery, walk around the block) is what YOU make it, there's no way the OP is going to enjoy her trip.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #36
norybell
DIS Veteran

I think the OP has every right to have negative feelings about his upcoming trip, without being given such a hard time about it. After all, it is pretty much a given that a trip right now will not be relaxing in the same way that it could have been a year ago, even if, as so many of you seem to suggest, it might be relaxing in a new, different way. I assume the hope that this "new way" could end up being equal to or better than the old one is what is keeping the OP from canceling outright (in addition to nonrefundable tickets, etc.). If you've been loving Disney trips for years (or even decades), it's difficult to take the plunge and cancel a trip you were really looking forward to, even if you're almost positive (based on experience) that you won't have as good of a time as you would have in the past. A disappointing WDW trip is NOT necessarily better than no WDW trip at all, and it's stressful (and sad) to have to think about it that way.

In any case, it's silly to pretend a decision like canceling a trip is simple.

OP, I feel your pain. I hated FP+ during testing in September, so I can't imagine liking it any better now (hated being on a schedule, hated being shackled to my phone screen, hated picking rides in advance). Others may love it, and that's wonderful for them, but if you didn't then you are entitled to your disappointment.
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
danielle.st
DIS Veteran

I get your concerns, OP. I am hopeful that I will like it all better than I am expecting right now when we go in August. But I also am not planning another trip back now for a really long time. Definitely not doing it every two years like we have been doing. We are going to see and do some new things. If our August trip goes better than I am expecting maybe we will go again in four or so years. Or maybe not, if we find another favorite destination that we feel is a better fit for us now.
dd10
POP December 6-13, 2008
POP April 21-27, 2010
POP April 18-23, 2012
POFQ August 2014
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #38
Kate and Family
Wiggling My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
I think the OP has every right to have negative feelings about his upcoming trip, without being given such a hard time about it. After all, it is pretty much a given that a trip right now will not be relaxing in the same way that it could have been a year ago, even if, as so many of you seem to suggest, it might be relaxing in a new, different way. I assume the hope that this "new way" could end up being equal to or better than the old one is what is keeping the OP from canceling outright (in addition to nonrefundable tickets, etc.). If you've been loving Disney trips for years (or even decades), it's difficult to take the plunge and cancel a trip you were really looking forward to, even if you're almost positive (based on experience) that you won't have as good of a time as you would have in the past. A disappointing WDW trip is NOT necessarily better than no WDW trip at all, and it's stressful (and sad) to have to think about it that way.

In any case, it's silly to pretend a decision like canceling a trip is simple.

OP, I feel your pain. I hated FP+ during testing in September, so I can't imagine liking it any better now (hated being on a schedule, hated being shackled to my phone screen, hated picking rides in advance). Others may love it, and that's wonderful for them, but if you didn't then you are entitled to your disappointment.
Sure, anyone has the right to feel however. That was not the point. It doesn't matter what the reasons are - it is whether it is worth spending all that money knowing you will be miserable. If the OP just received the 60 day email, then there is time to cancel without penalty (which is 45 days for package, less otherwise).

I am still not sure that the OP wasn't pulling our leg - it does seem to be a bit over the top. Why would anyone who felt that way even consider going?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
leebee
DIS Veteran

I HEAR YOU, OP!!

Anyone who used FP- extensively knows we didn't spend all our time sending runners to pull FP, crossing the parks like madmen. It was all a question of balance. We'd go to an area and compare standby times with FP- return times, and balance the two. Between flexible fps and shorter (than currently reported) standby lines, we could count on being able to do whatever parts of the park whenever we wanted, and not be tied to hard-scheduled fp times and long standby lines.

I completely understand what the OP is dreading. I have that feeling of apprehension myself when contemplating how differently my next trip to Disney will shape up. I have decided that I am NOT going to even think about it, because our next trip is for a specific celebration that can't be moved, so we are going. However, I am not excited about the planning, and knowing I have to be in a specific park in a specific section at a specific time, and the option to this is standby lines that are out of control. Yeah, that has the makings of a relaxing vacation. It's very nerve wracking to feel like this, and it's not at all wrong for OP to be worrying about that next trip.

Last edited by leebee; 03-21-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #40
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
To the OP,

Look, I think I'm known on here as someone who doesn't like FP+. I was there during Thanksgiving and again at the end of February. After our Thanksgiving trip I was actually considering selling our DVC points. During our late Feb. trip we had a great time, but we did some things differently.

I just really think you need to ratchet down the expectations of what you expect in the parks. Don't worry about riding something multiple times. You are actually doing something that FP+ will help you with, slowing down and seeing other attractions. Plan on spending more time in your resort at the pool, or doing other things (like mini-putt, Richard Petty ride along, etc.).

You can have a great time, but it's ultimately up to you.

Note, this does not mean I like FP+ any more than before. It's just that I've changed my mindset about how we will vacation going forward. I can definitely see a time where we don't even go to the parks any more due to crowds and lines.
First thank you for your experiences and for reading all of my posts, I can tell by your responses, thank you for that.

For us Disney is about the parks and what's in them.

We hit the beach for 4 to 5 days before going to WDW so pool time isn't high on our priorities, I do recognize that is important to some people.

Resort days aren't high on the list either, Disney rooms are cramped and unless we are off property, we use them for sleeping purposes pretty much exclusively.

We've got a pretty cool mini golf by us we frequent and during the winter we do indoor water park weekends, so BB and TL, while cool, isn't cool enough to skip a park day for.

The Florida trip is pretty much a given to visit my wife's mom (she meets us at the beach), If I cancel, I'll add on more beach days and probably do a bunch of sea world and universal days and skip WDW entirely for now.

I still have a bounce back at Poly for September booked. Maybe they'll fix it by then.

The huge down side is my girls know about this trip already.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #41
norybell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why would anyone who felt that way even consider going?
Well, I can think of lots of reasons. Maybe there are other people involved. Maybe you have nonrefundable plane tickets. Maybe you are holding out hope that it will be not-bad enough, or that you can lower your expectations enough, that you'll still be able to have a good time. Maybe you're hoping you'll get lucky with standby lines. Maybe you're hoping Disney will institute some changes to the program between now and then. Maybe you're hoping you'll like FP+ better than you think you will, even though you're pretty sure you won't.
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #42
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sure, anyone has the right to feel however. That was not the point. It doesn't matter what the reasons are - it is whether it is worth spending all that money knowing you will be miserable. If the OP just received the 60 day email, then there is time to cancel without penalty (which is 45 days for package, less otherwise).

I am still not sure that the OP wasn't pulling our leg - it does seem to be a bit over the top. Why would anyone who felt that way even consider going?
Absolutely this.

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #43
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherscott View Post
12 to 15 fps for mk...teh horror!

lol

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #44
Kate and Family
Wiggling My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
Well, I can think of lots of reasons. Maybe there are other people involved. Maybe you have nonrefundable plane tickets. Maybe you are holding out hope that it will be not-bad enough, or that you can lower your expectations enough, that you'll still be able to have a good time. Maybe you're hoping you'll get lucky with standby lines. Maybe you're hoping Disney will institute some changes to the program between now and then. Maybe you're hoping you'll like FP+ better than you think you will, even though you're pretty sure you won't.
Maybe there are other people involved. Maybe you have nonrefundable plane tickets - Valid points (Although if I were the other people, I might say it was alright that the OP not come)
As to the rest... I am not sure that the OP is receptive to any of that or holding out any real hope - seemed pretty fatalistic
Here is hoping that changes are made to FP+ that help, hoping the OP comes to the place where they will be able to have a better time than the one being anticipated. And to hoping the OP does not ruin the trip for others in their party.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #45
jfelcie
Mouseketeer

True level threes do not exist any more, not even in September!!! It is always six and up! Disney knows how to fill their parks!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: