Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Thanks DISAbilities Board!

A couple of weeks ago we had our trip to the World. My oldest son (then 4, now 5) has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS but we have never used a GAC or DAS before. We made it through most of the week without one, but on Thursday we picked one up as he was beginning to get tired and his autistic traits get a bit amplified when he gets worn out.

We got our son's DAS outside at HS. We mainly got one for Toy Story Mania. Not really to avoid the length of the line, but the interactive line itself proved to be too overstimulating for him, something I didn't really expect. I know the new interactive lines at rides (TSM, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, etc.) are great for most kids, but they were too much for him. He did fine in lines with no distractions, as long as we were moving a bit.

This was our first experience asking for one. I didn't know what to expect. I asked while we were waiting for rope drop. The CM was in training and tried to refer us inside but someone else told her that they could issue it there, so I'm not sure if it's something they are changing? She came out of the building to take my son's picture and that was about it. There was no one there the entire time we were getting it.

I do wish we had a holder for it though as his picture was almost unrecognizable by the middle of day 2. I don't know how people could have used it for the week. Overall it worked really well for us, esp. using it with FP+. We only used it for 3-4 rides total over the 2 days.

Anyway, i wanted to thank the DISAbility board because honestly I would have just plowed through the "no! no! No!" and meltdowns in line had I not read up on the DAS card here first. I already referred a friend here who is going with her mildly autistic son in a couple of months and was having the same dread I did, esp. in regards to the sensory issues. So, thanks for all your work guys!
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Andianna
Mouseketeer

Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Glad you found the information helpful.
Quote:
This was our first experience asking for one. I didn't know what to expect. I asked while we were waiting for rope drop. The CM was in training and tried to refer us inside but someone else told her that they could issue it there, so I'm not sure if it's something they are changing? She came out of the building to take my son's picture and that was about it. There was no one there the entire time we were getting it.
They can issue DAS at the outside the gates Guest Relations locations sometimes.
It depends on how busy it is, how many guests are waiting with ticket issues and whether or not they have iPads to take the pictures.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: