Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #31
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

I'm not paying 400 bucks a night on a room so we can SLEEP. Let's go, let's go. Get up! The day is half over! You're gonna miss the sunrise.

We hit RD at all 10 of our ten-day ticket last trip (and hit 3 waterpark RD's the other days). Beautiful thing is that the teenagers didn't mind because they saw the value in it.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh75 View Post
My MIL is like..."I am not getting up that early on vacation" but...

I at least want to Rope Drop at AK for the safari...I have her talked into that one (thank you animals! LOL!)

And I think I really want to rope drop at MK....I think DS will LOVE the opening show. And we can get a lot in and then fastpass and go slower in the afternoon.
My parents weren't too sure about rope drop, but one MK morning convinced them. That morning there was also a light rain until about 9:30 a.m. We felt like the only people in Fantasyland. Even when the weather is beautiful, the difference between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. in Fantasyland is incredible.
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #33
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Rope drop is the only way to go. And if you can get to MK early enough (like an hour or more) you may have a shot at being chosen as family of the day, which happened to us in both 2010 and 2011.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #34
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Meh. I prefer late at night. The parks are so beautiful all lit up. When they close at 12am or 1am they almost clear out towards the end anyway.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #35
mollybug2
Mouseketeer

We were at rope drop for every park on our last visit. It meant we were at our resort by 7 or 8 and had early bedtimes, but we got SO many of our must-do rides multiple times, it was well worth it!!

mollybug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #36
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
Rope drop is the only way to go. And if you can get to MK early enough (like an hour or more) you may have a shot at being chosen as family of the day, which happened to us in both 2010 and 2011.
So if you get to RD and are picked as family of the day what does that mean?

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #37
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
So if you get to RD and are picked as family of the day what does that mean?
It means you get brought in before opening, take a ride in the fire truck up to the castle for pictures, come back to the train station and hang out with someone (like the Mayor- and the dancers). When the welcome show starts, you walk through the train and join the characters and dancers for the countdown. At least this is what happened to us in 2011.

We are rope droppers too. DH wakes naturally about 4:30 or 5:00...the kids and I don't have that internal alarm, but we get up because we all know it's worth it. We don't do a lot of late nights then, but that's okay. Then the late night people can have their time!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
frozengurl
Mouseketeer

Love rope drop! On our shorter trips we rope drop every day... On our longer trips we do take a few days that we sleep in... But those days we mainly focus on nighttime entertainment knowing that we won't get as much done!
frozengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #39
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

We were never the RD people until DS came and decided that waking up every morning at 6am is mandatory.
So now our trips to WDW consists of RD every morning almost and naps in the afternoon. Evening plan is always a gamble. Depends on whether everyone got enough rest or not.
But usually we get most of the big rides done in the morning and evening can be relaxing.
Unless MK opens late then it might be another busy night

Welcome to the team!
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #40
frozengurl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
Do they pick a family of the day at Morning EMH? I've always wondered how that would work
frozengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #41
poeticdiabetic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Meh. I prefer late at night. The parks are so beautiful all lit up. When they close at 12am or 1am they almost clear out towards the end anyway.
That's me!!! I mean, you know one of the most other-worldly experiences you can ever do? Walk just outside the gates at MK during closing time. People are walking either back to their cars, to the buses or the ferry. That 1900s-era music is still pumping and the lighting is really smooth and misty.

I honestly do not have any other reference to that experience. You kinda feel like you're not on Earth, but in some dream-world that was created by the imagination of Walt Disney himself. I mean, it's modern, but also really turn-of-the-century. You still smell the smell of the popcorn and candy, but the monorail is right there! It's truly a blending of ages.
poeticdiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #42
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissed4 View Post
I keep telling friends who ask advice on their trips that RD really is a huge game changer, but they usually don't listen!
OK...lets try not to let this cat out of the bag!

All kidding aside, it is a good strategy if you can manage it. On or about day 3, we are getting a little weary and rope drop becomes, if we're there by 10, we're lucky!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #43
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozengurl View Post
Do they pick a family of the day at Morning EMH? I've always wondered how that would work
I know they did the last time we went, in 2011. I remember because we got there really early for EMH, thinking there wouldn't be as many people there so early and we could get picked. They seemed to already have someone when we got there.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #44
Winnowill
Mouseketeer

We kind of accidentally did RD every single day at DLR last year, not even knowing it was a strategy. I just messed up which days were EMH days - we wound up never getting in for EMH, but our RDs were terrific, anyway. And now it's definitely the plan for our WDW trip next month!
Winnowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #45
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

I have done RD at MK and it is so worth it! I have a picture of DH in the walkway to HM and there is not a soul around.

Do different parks matter how early you get there? and

What's the average time before RD do you arrive?

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: