Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm an avid rope dropper but I don't mean to be. I'm so spastic when I'm at WDW that I never set an alarm, I wake up every morning at 6:30 hyper and ready to roll.

I actually tried to sleep in on my last solo and I couldn't make it past 7:15, how do people relax enough to sleep in at WDW?
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We try to make rope drop most mornings but do sleep in a few times too. My trouble is that I like the late nights too and it catches up with me.

One of my best mornings the last time we stayed onsite is when I woke up at 6 and I took an early morning walk from POFQ to PORS. It was so lovely out there!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
ReganlovesWDW
Earning My Ears

I prefer to sleep in but my hubby started getting us up last time in time for rope drop. One day we did three parks in one day. This year we are planning all four parks in one day...which is doable as long as you hit rope drop. However, that will be done early in the trip so I have the remainder of vacation to recover...lol!
ReganlovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
disneyerin
Mouseketeer

I know....it's kind of hard to describe how great it is!

We are West Coasters and getting up for RD at 7 am was, to our bodies, actually getting up at 4 am....which was really hard after going to bed the night before so exhausted we thought we were going to die (extremely happy )

BUT we did make it to rope drop one day at the MK, and I did rope drop at Epcot by myself one day. And all I can say is this: If you want the magic back just like 20 yrs ago, if you are missing the feeling of having "Walt" in the parks with you, if you are frustrated because the joy seems to be gone, GET THERE AT ROPE DROP!! I can guarantee that you will walk right into the WDW you had thought you'd lost!
disneyerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #20
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

I am NOT a morning person what-so-ever. On weekends, I'm a sleep-until-past-noon person.

Until I get to Walt Disney World... Then I'm on DISNEY time!

Early EMH every opportunity I get, RD for everything else! Close down the parks, including evening EMH!

Sometimes I even sneak back to the room for a nap in between... Shh....

OOH-RAH!

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Last edited by Elevationist; 03-18-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #21
Networth
It all started with a mouse...or something like that.

If only I could convince my better half to try RD. Neither of us out morning people particularly while on vacation. She usually wakes up before me when were home but at WDW that's reversed haha.

Glad you had a great trip.

Next “official" Trip: 12/12/14-12/20/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #22
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm an avid rope dropper but I don't mean to be. I'm so spastic when I'm at WDW that I never set an alarm, I wake up every morning at 6:30 hyper and ready to roll. I actually tried to sleep in on my last solo and I couldn't make it past 7:15, how do people relax enough to sleep in at WDW?
Lol...OMG! This is so me. How can anyone sleep? You're in Disney World!
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
poeticdiabetic
DIS Veteran

I am happy that you've discovered the magic of rope drop! When I went to rope drop the last time (in 2008), they used to give us those cool passes that we can use for different rides. I thought that was really cool!

However, we are also definitely NOT rope drop people! We are late-night EMH people and we simply cannot do both! Therefore if the place is so packed that we have to stand in long lines in order to ride the rides we want to because the Fastpasses were all out, we either did it or we waited until the next trip… or we try to get in during the evening EMHs.

So FP+ actually works for me because I can sleep in and still ride the rides I want to… at least once. In other words, I would only have to stand in a long line for one ride if it's tiered. That's better than nothing because for the past 2 visits, I haven't ridden Test Track and only rode Splash Mountain once. Fastpasses were all gone by the time I get to the parks.
poeticdiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #24
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplop View Post
We tried so hard to be rope drop people, but we can never manage it. One day all three of us adults slept through three alarms! Good for you though, ride one for me
Don't worry, we do rope drop but aside from being at WDW, we are not morning people. My 12 year old offered a very logical explanation for rushing yesterday to get to school on time

Mom, it's not just the mornings. It's the clocks that are a problem. I don't understand the numbers so early in the morning

It's great to read still positive reports about rope drop as some question marks have been thrown in on the strategy with FP+ but from what I am reading, this plan of attack is still very worthwhile.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #25
SeaShelley
Calgon take me away.......preferrably to Castaway Cay!
Want to ride "Pirates of the Can 'O Beer"?

I've never done RD, but this year will be different! Can't wait to experience the thrill of walking in as the park opens!!
SeaShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #26
rlh75
Mouseketeer

My MIL is like..."I am not getting up that early on vacation" but...

I at least want to Rope Drop at AK for the safari...I have her talked into that one (thank you animals! LOL!)

And I think I really want to rope drop at MK....I think DS will LOVE the opening show. And we can get a lot in and then fastpass and go slower in the afternoon.

All it takes is faith and trust. Oh! And something I forgot. Dust!
Dust?
Yep, just a little bit of pixie dust.
rlh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

I always have been, always WILL be, a rope drop commando. Those first two hours in the park are absolutely wonderful for getting on as many rides as possible (especially when you're solo). I am a sleeper. When I'm at home, if I don't have to get up with an alarm, I just don't get up until my body says so. But when I'm at Disney? Forget it, I'm up before the sun! LOL It's like that Disney commercial with the kids "I'M TOO EXCITED TO SLEEP!"

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x3)*~*Caribbean Beach Jamaica*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #28
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Huge proponents of rope drop here!!! But the last few days of vacation, we'll take it easy, sleep in, mosey into the parks, and just roam around.

This way it ends on a very relaxing note!

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

Mouse Rants Podcast

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #29
sunkissed4
Mouseketeer

I keep telling friends who ask advice on their trips that RD really is a huge game changer, but they usually don't listen!

Glad you enjoyed your trip OP, we have an hour drive to the parks and still make RD every single trip.

AP holders who can't get enough Disney!
sunkissed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #30
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyerin View Post
I know....it's kind of hard to describe how great it is!

We are West Coasters and getting up for RD at 7 am was, to our bodies, actually getting up at 4 am....which was really hard after going to bed the night before so exhausted we thought we were going to die (extremely happy )

BUT we did make it to rope drop one day at the MK, and I did rope drop at Epcot by myself one day. And all I can say is this: If you want the magic back just like 20 yrs ago, if you are missing the feeling of having "Walt" in the parks with you, if you are frustrated because the joy seems to be gone, GET THERE AT ROPE DROP!! I can guarantee that you will walk right into the WDW you had thought you'd lost!
This is what I'm trying to get ready for! I'm wondering if I can start going to bed at 7pm and get up at 3am before we leave home!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: