Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Service Dog Advice for Disneyland?

I have a friend who is planning a DL trip with her family, including her son and his autism service dog. I see many threads here regarding service dogs at WDW and have forwarded her the DL guest services page on the topic, but is there a collection of experiences or advice in this forum specific to Disneyland that you could point me to? Thanks!
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Service dog at dlr is easy, in my experience it is a nightmare at wdw.

Suggestions, wax for the dogs feet or boots, I use wax. Get some kind of bowl for them to drink water, and keep them hydrated. Use the kennels' it is well worth the price to use the kennels for a few hours a day, and then go on the rides the dog can not go on during those few hours. My dog always needs a break from the crowds and the heat and the people and the walking, so I bring now her, but I had a him before, to the kennels for a three hour break' the kennel is right outside the gate and easy to get to and from. Add at least a half of cup of food to her daily amount, I usually bring a half of cup in my pocket each morning and feed her it as I treat her for doing good all day' if I don't she loses weight when there. Unless you don't mind people pet things, make sure you can be assertive, they all want to pet the dog, at least most of them are starting to ask first and not just assume. Familiarize yourself with the potty places so when you pass them you can try to potty rather than waiting to long and finding out it is quiet a walk to one.

Sorry I don't know how the portable kennels work at Disney at the rides, on another thread they can tell you but they are very much against them.they work differently than at wdw, somehow but no one is able to tell you how they work at wdw anyway, so I have never used them at either park. But I have used the big kennel and I love it and find it is a great place for my dog to get a much needed break and for me to go on the rides she can not.

If you want more just pm me. I have made about 7 trips to dlr with a guide dog. I have made one with her to wdw but she mainly stayed off site with family only joining the fun for a few hours at night for dinner and dtd.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Thank you so much for the tips! I passed them along. Their dog is relatively new to their family, so your information will be very helpful.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: