Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Calliaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxgirl View Post
Did you make advanced dining reservations at the restaurant? Did you know that when you do make ADR's you can let them know at that point that you have someone with food allergies? When you do it this way, the note will be attached to all of your dining reservations so the wait staff and chef will be aware when you are seated. This is how we get the chef to come out and speak with us.

Unfortunately Disney does have a disclaimer on their website:

"Our restaurants will do their best to accommodate guest dietary requirements but cannot guarantee that they will be able to meet all requests.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will use reasonable efforts to prevent the introduction of the allergen of concern into the food through close attention during our sourcing, preparation and handling processes. However, it is ultimately up to the Guest to use his or her individual discretion to make an informed choice regarding whether to order any particular items. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts cannot guarantee that allergens may not have been introduced during another stage of the food-chain process or, even inadvertently, during preparation. We do not have separate kitchens to prepare allergen-free items or separate dining areas for Guests with allergies or intolerances."
We did make the note on all reservations. Everywhere that is Disney-operated we talked with a chef. We asked to see one at this visit and reminded both the hostess and the waiter of the allergy. I believe that because this is not a Disney-operated location, they are less strict about following policy.

I also understand the disclaimer; they aren't always able to provide the same things or meet all requests. But, they should be able to meet the minimal request of telling us what is unsafe. If they have nothing safe, fine. Denny's can tell us what's safe and what's not. Disney says I get an informed choice. I can't do that without a reasonable amount of information.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
Calliaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Wait a minute! I just found out there are TWO Mexican table service restaurants in Epcot and they are both called San Angel??!! How confusing! On the good side, I realized I'm not eating at the Hacienda but at the other one- San Angel Inn. Any expirence with that one with a food allergy?
My understanding is that they are both operated by the same company. When I did my research before making the ADR, people with allergies said positive things. Plus, Mexican food is often really easy to make dairy-free. Given our experience, we'll stay away in the future.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran

I have sever lactose allergy. I need to keep the chewy Dairy Ease pills on me and keep an eye to anything with cheese sauce. The other thing is hidden lactose, like hot dogs.
Ladygoldenhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
crwinter
Earning My Ears

Operating Participant List

At Epcot - the operating participants (Not Disney owned and managed) are any restaurants in Mexico, China, Italy, Japan, Morocco, and France.

My son is anaphylactically allergic to dairy, peanut, and shellfish. We go to Disney every year for our vacation specifically because they can handle his food allergies; otherwise, we simply don't eat out. When I was first researching this years ago, it seemed almost every bad reaction I was finding out about occurred at one of these operating participants, so despite some people having great experiences, our decision was they simply weren't worth the risk. To me, they didn't seem as consistent in their ability to handle severe allergies.

Everyone has their own threshhold for risk, so I'm certainly not passing judgement on anyone who eats at the operating participants. Just wanted to give the complete list for anyone who was looking to make the same choice we did. Disney does make it tough to find this out.
crwinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: