Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

HA bathrooms in values

Hello!

I have booked a short trip for a conference in May and went ahead and booked a HA room for my limitations in navigating the bathroom.

Do the HA showers have any kind of seat? If not, can one be requested?

At present, I cannot stand in The shower nor climb over a tub. At the time of my trip, if my cast (broken ankle) is off, I anticipate that I will not have full use of the ankle and this will still be the case.

Thanks!
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

It is my understanding that some rooms have a roll in shower and others have a tub with grab bars. You should call back and make sure that you are booked to have a roll in. When we had one the shower did have a fold down bench, but you can request one as well. If they only have the tub option available can you use a shower chair and slide over into the tub? We have done this before at other locations.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
It is my understanding that some rooms have a roll in shower and others have a tub with grab bars. You should call back and make sure that you are booked to have a roll in. When we had one the shower did have a fold down bench, but you can request one as well. If they only have the tub option available can you use a shower chair and slide over into the tub? We have done this before at other locations.
Is this something I can request at check in?

At home, we have one tub low enough and with a chair outside, I can get myself in and lift myself out. The other is too tall. The shower is preferable since it is easier (with chair inside and outside) and less of a fall risk.

Thank you for the info!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa loves Pooh View Post
Is this something I can request at check in? At home, we have one tub low enough and with a chair outside, I can get myself in and lift myself out. The other is too tall. The shower is preferable since it is easier (with chair inside and outside) and less of a fall risk. Thank you for the info!
You need to book that type of room.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

If you need a roll in shower, you need to book a room with a roll in shower. There are only a certain number available and if you need one, a reservation is put in and held specifically for you for that type of room.

All roll in showers will either have a permanent bench seat built in or a fold down seat attached to the wall. These are part of the specifications in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) for roll in showers.

Accessible rooms with tubs will have grab bars and you can request a shower chair from Housekeeping or rent one from one of the offsite medical rental companies. See post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for information about off-site rentals. That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

The Disney website has some pictures of the different types of rooms. This link is for Pop Century.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re.../rates-rooms/#

Choose “View Photos” under a room type. When the photos for that type of room opens, choose “Show All” and you will be able to pick a photo album from different types of rooms, including roll in shower and those accessible rooms with tubs.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

The music resort had a fantastic handicapped shower at the pool.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info--

One last question...I booked specifically a HA room on-line. Was there anything extra that I needed to do, or was that it?

I am probably fine with just railings and crutch space if needed. I hesitate to take a room that may be way more than what I need (i.e. specifically a roll in shower).
Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
pbrim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa loves Pooh View Post
Thanks for the info--

One last question...I booked specifically a HA room on-line. Was there anything extra that I needed to do, or was that it?

I am probably fine with just railings and crutch space if needed. I hesitate to take a room that may be way more than what I need (i.e. specifically a roll in shower).
As said before, there are two types of HA rooms, those with roll-in showers and those with tubs with extra grab bars. Both kinds have grab bars around the toilet. If you don't know which kind you have, you need to call and ask, as both are considered HA rooms.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: