Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
tigerlily02
Earning My Ears

Suggestions of where to go first needed

Since this is my first cruise ever, I'm looking for strategies of where to go first once we board. I am cruising with my husband and our 11 year old daughter who will likely be in and out of the youth clubs during the cruise. We have chosen a 12:30-1:00 port arrival time. Any help that you can give would be appreciated.
tigerlily02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

If planning to do any of the tasting seminars like Mixology or tequila / margaritas then as soon as you board take an immediate right and go to Guest Services and sign up now before they fill up. If a CM approaches you and tells you that you can sign up back in the District Lounge area just insist that you are already at Guest Services and don't care to walk all the way to the lounge area right now. The reason is because sometimes when you get back there you cant find anyone to sign you up because the lounge wont open until sail away. Then if you are ready for lunch you may either enjoy a buffet in Enchanted Gardens or go all the way up and back to Cabanas close to the pool.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Tinked
DIS Veteran

I would suggest eating first. Your stateroom should be ready by 2pm. Check the Navigator you are given at check-in and see if there is a tour of the ship offered. This would help orient you to the ship. You can also visit the clubs and the spa as a family so that you can see what the facilities are on whichever ship you are traveling. The pools will probably be filled by the time you arrive. A nice walk around the top decks and Decks 3, 4, an 5 will help you familiarize yourself with where things are and all would be open to your daughter too at that time. Don't forget to be on the top decks for castoff and to hear the horn sound as you pull away. Then relax and enjoy yourselves.
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Which ship are you on? Some like to go up to the pools first thing or ride the Aquaduck. Some like to go have lunch first. What are your priorities?

No need to rush to Guest Services first thing. You should have no problem getting reservations for tastings and mixologies later in the day at Guest Services.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily02 View Post
Since this is my first cruise ever, I'm looking for strategies of where to go first once we board. I am cruising with my husband and our 11 year old daughter who will likely be in and out of the youth clubs during the cruise. We have chosen a 12:30-1:00 port arrival time. Any help that you can give would be appreciated.
If you are hungry, get food. While eating, look at that first day's Navigator that you should have been given while boarding (if you weren't given it, get it!). Look at the schedule for when you can go to the youth club she'll be going to, and schedule in when to visit. That first day they let parents in, and it's a great time for kids to go in and get acclimated. I can't remember if she can go to the next step up from the club/lab at 11; if she can and wants to go there, I've heard that it's great to go that very first day to feel like she fits in, to start making some friends from those first hours onboard.

It will soon be time to drop off carryons to your stateroom, so do that, explore.

If there are reservations you want to make, do that.

Many people go to the pools, but I know that with us, with an only child, he is more interested in going to a place where he can meet new friends. He has found over and over that when kids are swimming they tend to clump in family groups and it's NOT the place to make new friends. So he would prefer to go to the place where you're supposed to mingle and play with others, not just your family.

Especially if you start off by reading through that Navigator, you'll start your cruise off with KNOWLEDGE about the actual cruise you're on, times and places to do things, etc. It will do nothing but help you that day, and if you make time to read through it every time you get a new Navigator, it will continue to help you.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
rsx3bishop
Mom of 2 and Gigi of 1.....life is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I I can't remember if she can go to the next step up from the club/lab at 11; if she can and wants to go there, I've heard that it's great to go that very first day to feel like she fits in, to start making some friends from those first hours onboard.
Yes.... At 11 they can either do club/lab or Edge!! . We have an 11yo DD that will be going to Edge!!
rsx3bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Weedy
DIS Veteran

If you were interested in a Palo Brunch reservation they hold some back to book the day you board. Go to Palo and you can make the reservation.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
tigerlily02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Which ship are you on? Some like to go up to the pools first thing or ride the Aquaduck. Some like to go have lunch first. What are your priorities?

No need to rush to Guest Services first thing. You should have no problem getting reservations for tastings and mixologies later in the day at Guest Services.
We're going to be on the Magic. We're really flexible and not terribly interested in clubbing or upscale dining. We may look into the Rainforest though. Lounging by the pools, family time and relaxation is all this cruise is about after completing my masters degree!
tigerlily02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: