Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Curse of the cruise hair frizzies.

This may sound silly but on our Dream cruise in February I noticed that my hair was so frizzy. Then I started noticing that a lot other peoples hair was the same. Living in Upstate NY, We normally have very humid summers and I have never had this problem. I use a flat iron and great products but the top of my hair was a frizzy mess that did not get better until we went back to WDW.. Does anyone have suggestions for avoiding this on our next cruise...
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

I actually have better "hair days" on cruises then I have normally and I attribute it to the highly filtered water that the cruise ships have. However, if you have problems with frizzy hair on cruises, I would recommend bringing your own shampoo and conditioner. I tried the Spa shampoo and conditioner that they provide you in the bathrooms and it did not do well with my hair so I now always bring my own shampoo and conditioner.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
E&As Mom
Mouseketeer

I have very thick hair, and unfortunately, it doesn't handle the tropical heat well either (we have a lot of humidity in Ohio, but it doesn't seem to affect my hair as much either).

I've found that using some sort of anti-frizz serum (have used the John Freida stuff and Avon in the past) helps. I take a very small amount (think dime sized or less) and add it to my hair (the John Freida stuff I put on dry hair, but the Avon one is use when my hair is towel dried). It has helped me in the past, as well as using anti-humidity hair spray (Pantene makes a decent one).

Good luck!

Visits:
1977 - mid 1990s - Too many visits to count, 1999 - Delayed Honeymoon and DH's 1st trip to The World , 2008 - POR - Grand Gathering of 14 Mousekeeteers and our girls' first trip to The World, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - CSR, 2013 - All Star Sports - Surprise trip to proudly watch my niece march @ MK, 2013 - CSR, 2014 - Old Key West - Celebration Vacation! , 2015 - Yacht Club
DCL:
October 2014 - Disney Wonder
E&As Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

I have straight hair and have a horrible time with frizzy hair on cruises too! I will have to try the anti frizz stuff since I always use my own shampoo anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
masylimed
Mouseketeer

My daughter's hair has a natural curl that definitely reacts to excess humidity. Her hairdresser introduced her to a hair product called "crack" (yes, that's the actual name). A small dap on the hair works wonders on her hair. She's a believer. I know they sell it in our local ULTA store.
masylimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

I have waist length wavy hair, and I live right by the ocean so maybe this is me but: a braid works wonders. I put my hair in long braided pigtails, long braids, I'm a fan of pinterest braiding pins... my sister will find pins or ideas and try it out on me (she calls me her version of Rapunzel.). Get creative with your hair!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I have fine, thin curly hair. Very curly, especially in front/top. When I was younger and had it long and blond, we took a trip to Hawaii - my hair was the proverbial haystack, very frizzy, and yellow. Yuck! I wore it in braids for most of the trip.

I solve the problem now by cutting my hair very short about a week before the cruise, and letting it "do it's thing" during the cruise..

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

My hair gets frizzy on cruise, I bring my own shampoo, conditioner, gel and hair spray. I have servere allergies that react to fragrance. Does "crack" and other non-frizz products have fragrance?

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015
Cruise # 14 - Fantasy - February 13, 2016 - Tortola

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
julydreamer
Mouseketeer

Paul Mitchell skinny serum works wonders
julydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Marypoppins14
Mouseketeer

"A Perfect 10" works wonders for my medium texture, wavy, long hair that is prone to frizz.
Marypoppins14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I saw the title of this thread and thought Its a 10,
too. Not cheap stuff but we use before and after mermaid training at the pool because it seals up the hair cuticle. It's REALLY heavy so it might help way it down enough to keep away the frizz. BTW, I'm personally envious of frizz since my Rapunzel locks are straight as a bone. I use lots of braids to keep my hair from becoming a rats nest especially up on deck. And then when I take out the braids, I actually have waves which is fun for me. I call it mermaid hair. Anyway Its a 10 especially before and after chlorine and salt water. Dove Oil Spray is amazing!!! And not as costly and I can spritz it all over because it's not as heavy as the 10. I am goin to bring both. The idea of cutting hair before a cruise cracks me up. I have gotten one real hair cut in the past 3 yrs (the rest we teeny tiny trim after some growth highlights) and that's how I can have long mermaid barbie hair! Everyone thought they had a wig on me on Carnival when I played Britney. Except that my big teased pig tails walked all over the ship with me afterward! Teehee...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

One trick while DCL cruising that helps my frizz: I apply a small amount of the Hair conditioner provided in our stateroom to my frizzy hair when it's dry. Makes my hair have nice soft wavy curls instead of frizz.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masylimed View Post
My daughter's hair has a natural curl that definitely reacts to excess humidity. Her hairdresser introduced her to a hair product called "crack" (yes, that's the actual name). A small dap on the hair works wonders on her hair. She's a believer. I know they sell it in our local ULTA store.
I am so going to look into getting some "Crack" for my hair.. I used my own shampoo, conditioner a leave in treatment called Blow Pro and Rusk Anti Frizz and shine and it did nothing for me.. And this is from someone who never has the "Frizzies." Those suckers on the top layer were going every which way and it was not pretty...
Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I have fine, thin curly hair. Very curly, especially in front/top. When I was younger and had it long and blond, we took a trip to Hawaii - my hair was the proverbial haystack, very frizzy, and yellow. Yuck! I wore it in braids for most of the trip.

I solve the problem now by cutting my hair very short about a week before the cruise, and letting it "do it's thing" during the cruise..
My hair is very thick, long and blond and the rest of it was OK except for the top layer of frizzies. I finally put it up in a ponytail the last night because it was so horrendous... Not quite ready to cut it short though... Getting there but not there yet. Mine was doing its thing the 2nd day of the cruise for sure.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
avgsuperheroine
Earning My Ears

I am half Puerto Rican and have very thick very curly hair. I wear it chin length. I bring my own shampoo and I use a product called Wax Works by Paul Mitchell. But, aside from that, which is what I do each morning anyway (takes 5 minutes to brush and scrunch)--I have really enjoyed just letting it do what it wants. It's on vacation too and I'll not see these people again (probably).

My only concern would be if we did photos onboard as a family. I may just keep the ones of the kids.
avgsuperheroine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: