Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Aimros
Zip a dee doo dah!

IT band syndrome + injuries are so irritating!

Hey all,

It seems like I go from one injury to another. First it was my back (pulled it doing a move with weights I'd done 100's of times), then I had a severe case of shin splints & plantar fasciitis, and now, just as everything else feels better, I've seemed to have developed a lovely case of illiotibial band syndrome. Ugh! I'm right in the middle of my training season and have 3 races coming up that I was so excited for. Now I'm just feeling depressed and sorry for myself. I'm trying to have foresight rather than hindsight and take some time off while icing and foam rolling, but I keep reading horror stories online about how this is generally a chronic condition that is going to stick around for awhile (I know, I know, you should never read horror stories online, but...). I am so hoping I feel better by next weekend. The woes of running! Anyone else care to commiserate with me or offer some healing tips? TIA!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I had chronic itbs, and what I found after physical therapy and a long haul of trying to fix it, is that if I have a tight lower back for an extended period of time I have a flare up. So I do yoga. Usually twice a week. Don't really like it, but it enables me to keep running.

I also switched to altras and no longer heel strike, which helped a bunch too, but definitely still need to go to yoga to fight off piriformis and itband issues. I have found, for me at least, piriformis issues and itband issues go hand in hand.

I know there are folks who have had success with a steroid shot, so that's and option, but I went the pt route.

Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

don't have experience with that exact injury..but have had rounds of bursitis and tendonitis, if it's at all the same. PT and Celebrex worked wonders for me. hope it heals quickly!!!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

So sorry that you are dealing with an injury!

I've been fighting the lingering effects of an injury months now -- I have rebooted my running and added strength training in addition to yoga in an effort to be a little more well rounded in my fitness. I long for the day that no body parts ache.

This is a great article that was in the Runner's World Facebook feed yesterday.
http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-p...juryPrevention

I think it is a good reminder that we shouldn't accept living with injuries and soldier on but do what it takes to completely heal.

for speedy healing for you.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

I had a bad case of IT band syndrome last year while training for the marathon. I mostly relied on rolling, stretching and massage to improve it. I also cut way back on my mileage. It was the last thing I wanted to do, but I think that did more than anything to get me better. As someone said on here last year when I was fighting it, "better to go into a race healthy and undertrained then well trained and injured." I also ran with one of those bands around my knee. I'm not sure if it really helped or not, but I was willing to try anything and it did seem to make it feel better.

This year, I'm trying to work in more strength training to try and prevent this injury again. You have my sympathy. It was a really painful injury.
ZellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Lisa75
Mouseketeer

So sorry.
I am sending you good thoughts for sure. No advice as I have my own post on the Event board about something I developed that may be the same thing. I too am depressed. I hope you work yours out and feel better soon.

Lisa
Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

I'm suffering through the same thing. I think it was an overuse issue due to training for Dopey last year. I've met with 2 different PT's and had multiple treatments as well as foam rolling and so far nothing has worked. Tomorrow I'm visiting a sports specific PT for him to check my form. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

I don't have the same injuries but have been dealing with the same thing. I started really watching my eating and doing P90X on 12/29/13. I was doing well. Lost 20 lbs in 2 months. My body was feeling good. Everything was great.

Then I played racquetball with a friend about a month ago. I have not been the same since. I messed up my shoulder (had surgery on both shoulders in 2012.) My back has been a mess. But, I have been doing my workouts still. I am just not getting as much out of them as I was.

I am doing the ToT in October. I have tendinitis in my knees and achilles on both legs. But, as long as I keep exercising and the blood flowing they don't hurt as bad. It's when I take a couple days off to rest and injury they KILL.

Just 2 days ago I was doing a P90X strength training workout and as I put weight on my left leg I felt something pop in my left hip, right next to the socket.

So, I have been frustrated and aggravated for a few weeks now. But, I will keep plugging away and powering through because I know my body will eventually get stronger and feel better. The other option would be to stop working out and getting fat and unhealthy again. And, there was a lot of aches and pains that went along with that everyday too.

At this point I really need to refocus and make sure I do more consistent stretching, make sure I do my Yoga (which I hate but I know it helps), and keep up my foam rolling.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: