Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #766
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou1982 View Post
HiI've read/heard that the elevators can be extremely busy and you often need to wait for them. We're going in the low season (last week of feb/first week of march) so this might not be so much of a problem?
I wouldn't call this low season...more average season. We've been there during similar average crowd times and the elevators have been busy. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a problem, but just something to be aware of. The Contemporary is pretty much always busy, especially with Chef Mickey's, which causes some of the elevator back ups. That being said, we've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for an elevator, so it's not that big of an issue. Just be aware that you likely won't fit on the first elevator that arrives, especially if you have a stroller.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #767
oct2014
Mouseketeer

TOWL - to go?

We are DVC members and would like to show our friend TOWL while we are staying there in a few weeks. The only problem is that (although my husband is awesome with kids) her kids will have just met him at dinner and it would be unfair all around to leave him with four little boys for long under the circumstances.

If the two moms just run up to get a drink at the bar, do you think we could order them to go? (I've found one mention here of drinks to go, but that party's evening was cut short.)

Any thoughts are appreciated!
oct2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #768
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
I know this is a few days old, but I'm not sure if it was ever answered. Yes, music is piped in to the observation deck of the Contemporary. Not sure about the skybridge BUT the place I enjoyed watching the fireworks was from the 8th floor of the Contemporary tower...I took the elevator up there, walked to the end of the building closest to the MK, and stood on the decks of the Contemporary's outside (emergency?) staircase out there. I could hear the music from the observation deck, had a great view of the fireworks...and I was all alone. The door will close and lock behind you if you let it, but if you close it slowly, you can stop it from latching. Of course, if it does lock on you, you can just take the stairs down to ground level. There were people on a few different levels doing this and I'd definitely do it again.
Thank you for sharing your experience
johnsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #769
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct2014 View Post
We are DVC members and would like to show our friend TOWL while we are staying there in a few weeks. The only problem is that (although my husband is awesome with kids) her kids will have just met him at dinner and it would be unfair all around to leave him with four little boys for long under the circumstances.

If the two moms just run up to get a drink at the bar, do you think we could order them to go? (I've found one mention here of drinks to go, but that party's evening was cut short.)

Why can't you all go up together?
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #770
oct2014
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
Why can't you all go up together?
Yikes! The thought scares me. They are ages 2-6. Loud and on the move!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #771
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Yikes! The thought scares me. They are ages 2-6. Loud and on the move!
LOL. Understood.
The TOTWL is FILLED with small children, so I'm not sure they'd be noticed.

But aside from carryout drinks, they have a nightly movie playing in between CR and BLT. Perhaps your DH could take them over to that for a little bit.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #772
oct2014
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
LOL. Understood.
The TOTWL is FILLED with small children, so I'm not sure they'd be noticed.

But aside from carryout drinks, they have a nightly movie playing in between CR and BLT. Perhaps your DH could take them over to that for a little bit.
Thanks for the heads up on little ones being around. I've only been up there for a DVC event in the afternoon years ago, so I didn't realize that.

My little ones will be in bed well before the movie, but maybe the Community Hall will work.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #773
maxsmom
DIS Veteran

Room Security in the tower

I was just thinking about all the people that visit for dining. How secure are the rooms in the tower? I mean when people are roaming the Poly they are there for dinner and may wonder out to the beach, but not in the longhouses. In the evening they couldn't get in unless they followed someone else. Do people roam the tower halls to see the resort? Can you access the room floors w/ out a key? Thanks!
00 Disney Wedding and Honeymoon WL/CSR, 01 1st Anniversary YC, 03 WL, 05 DS's 1st Time POP , 06 POP, 09 Poly DD's 1st Time!, 09 CSR + 1 night POR, 10 Pop then Poly for 10 yr aniv! , Summer of '11: POFQ, Summer of '12 CSR, Summer of '13 Poly, Summer of '14 Contemporary
maxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 AM   #774
Clare Voince
In Spiritual Repose

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsmom View Post
I was just thinking about all the people that visit for dining. How secure are the rooms in the tower? I mean when people are roaming the Poly they are there for dinner and may wonder out to the beach, but not in the longhouses. In the evening they couldn't get in unless they followed someone else. Do people roam the tower halls to see the resort? Can you access the room floors w/ out a key? Thanks!
The dining isn't on the same floors as the rooms. And the hallways are open to the concourse, so there's no place to skulk about near the tower rooms.

My Disney Photo Gallery

Click here to see my burial place at the Haunted Mansion.
Sept 2014 - Boardwalk Inn / Sept 2012 - WDW Dolphin / Oct 2007 - Polynesian Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level - split stay / Oct 2005 - Grand Californian Hotel - Disneyland / June 2003 - Boardwalk Inn
1976-1988 - 13 Childhood trips spent at Polynesian Resort, Contemporary Resort, Fort Wilderness, Treehouses, and Grand Floridian
Clare Voince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #775
Lou1982
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
I wouldn't call this low season...more average season. We've been there during similar average crowd times and the elevators have been busy. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a problem, but just something to be aware of. The Contemporary is pretty much always busy, especially with Chef Mickey's, which causes some of the elevator back ups. That being said, we've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for an elevator, so it's not that big of an issue. Just be aware that you likely won't fit on the first elevator that arrives, especially if you have a stroller.
Thanks for the advice I was sort of working off Disney prices / crowd calendar type info when I said about it being "low" season. Last year we went in the middle of November so I was expecting similar sort of business to then
Lou1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #776
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the advice I was sort of working off Disney prices / crowd calendar type info when I said about it being "low" season. Last year we went in the middle of November so I was expecting similar sort of business to then
We always go end of feb into first week of March. We have noticed it is so much busier this time of year than it was just 5years ago! We really need touring plans now and we never used to.

We've only stayed at the contemporary once. Although it was nice staying in the tower, the elevators were a little frustrating! I can't understand why there is no stairs option. We're going to stay in the garden wing next year. :-)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #777
xjay
Mouseketeer

Currently booked 12/12-12/15 MK Tower View - Atrium CL for my birthday stay . Too excited right now since this is our first ever on-site stay!!!

Disneyland - Countless Times as a Kid
December 2013 - Off-Site *** December 2014 - AKL CL/Contemporary CL

Our Little Family :
Me(22) DBF(23) DDog(Kapu) DDog(Keanu)
xjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #778
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Just in case anyone is trying to time ME arrival with ADRs on arrival day....

My mom and sister flew in and took ME today. They landed at 10:20 and waited a little while for the bus to leave. It then stopped at Poly, then GF, then WL, and then going to the Contemporary. They landed at 10:20 and its now 12:15 and they still aren't there. Just a heads up for anyone trying to plan
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #779
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Hi KOOK

I'm stopping by for a visit from the WL. We're staying in a few weeks and considering CR as our first evening stop for dinner at Contempo Cafe, a monorail ride, and maybe fireworks from the 4th floor.

2 questions -

1) I recently read on the boards that someone found the sound to be silent on the 4th floor observation deck during Wishes, not once but twice during their stay. Is this currently the case?

2) Is the Outer Rim lounge an appropriate place with kids in tow to ask for a to-go adult beverage for enjoying while we explore the resort? Or is the Sand Bar or the Wave a better location? We probably won't take the time to sit down. Also, does the Outer Rim serve any sort of food from the other restaurant kitchens like the TL at WL does?

Thanks so much! One day we'll upgrade and stay at the CR for a night or 2.

We haven't been on the Observation Deck recently during Wishes, but I heard the same thing about the music not being piped in anymore.

Really, any place is just fine with children and the Outer Rim is no exception. You will find more adults there though since CR is a convention resort and WL isn't. Good question about the "secret TS menu" at OR - I don't know about that there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
I'm getting through this week by reminding myself every ten minutes that next Friday I will be watching Wishes from my 14th floor balcony!!!

I cannot wait for this trip!! It's been two years in the making and I can't believe it's finally here!
Tomorrow is the BIG day! I can't wait to see and hear all about your suite stay! Happy travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsulaTheSeaWitch View Post
Thanks for the new pics of Contempo Café. Has anyone tried the lobster roll?
Is that a summer menu item or available year round?

Thanks
I don't recall seeing it on the menu last Christmas, however, it is listed in the AllEars menu so it probably is available year 'round:

Lobster Roll - Maine Lobster Salad and Romaine Lettuce on a Grilled Roll with French Fries, Chilled Sesame Green Beans, or House-made Chips $15.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Love, love, loved all of your fabulous photos, WDWKOOK! Thank you.

I think this one is my favorite.

Only 25 more days to go!!
Thank you and your trip is even closer now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
This is the floor plan I found. Is this accurate? If so, great news since it looks like there is a third closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post

I thought that the Outer Rim was inside the concourse and that the observation deck was accessed from the main guest area near the shops. But I really have no clue since we don't frequent CR.
The OR is right next to CM and CC near the elevators and escalator, overlooking the pool and Bay Lake. The Observation Deck door is at the north end of the 4th floor next to the Sky Bridge to BLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinicone View Post
This has probably been asked many times but I cannot find any discussions about it and this thread is huge, so I thought I'd just throw this ques out there! I want to stay at either the CR or BLT, but I cannot decide which one! Never stayed at either. I need just a reg room for 2 adults and a 2 yr old. Studio prices at BLT seem to be about the same as the cost of a tower room at CR. Any suggestions?
Welcome and another vote here for CR as the room is bigger and unless you need a kitchenette, the CR room is roomier and the Tower rooms have great views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_hlh View Post
Were staying in the garden wing again this year in August because we loved it so much last year. I know that Disney is in the process of fencing in all the pools except the "quite" ones, does anyone know when CR is scheduled to get fences or are they up already? My DH likes to swim late at night and wants to switch resorts if the pools at CR are locked up at night. Maybe I should tell him that they are and I'll get to switch to YC which is another one of our favorite resorts
I haven't found a permit yet for CR, but I'll check again soon. All the feature pools with lifeguards will eventually be fenced in. The quiet pools at all the resorts will remain open, though there are posted suggested hours. The Bullseye/Bay Lake pool at CR doesn't have a lifeguard and remains available to guests at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I agree about KOOK's pics....they are always awesome .
Thanks, mickeynut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycishere View Post
First time staying in the main tower and we splurged and bought THEME PARK VIEW as we will be celebrating my 30th birthday! We don't need to request the castle as it's all the same view at the CR not like the Poly right? Heard there are two whirlpools. Are they both the small round sit in kind? I am in a wheelchair and it's easier to get my in that type. THANK YOU!
Congratulations and make sure your birthday is noted in your reservation. All the Tower rooms have unobstructed views. However, the rooms at the north end, closest to the MK, are further from the convention center area which is at the south end. The rooms with odd numbers have beds that face toward the MK. The whirlpools are the round kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
*Please know that I am not interested in accessing BLT when not a guest there This topic originated in trying to help a poster who was asking about the bridge/walk way for watching the fireworks
Loved your disclaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
So we check in in a few days. (Yeah!) We're staying on 12th floor Club and I've done on-line check in. We've also received our magic bands. Will they automatically text me when our room is ready? We're transferring from the Hard Rock and have a 9:45am Chef Mickey's reservation. Just trying to figure out if we should go up to the lounge first or check our luggage with bell services. If I do check our bags, do they have a locked cage (or similar) if we decide to bring a laptop?
If you do online check-in, they'll know apx. when you're arriving and your credit card won't have to be shown. It's ok though if you don't do online check-in, but let the IPO know your apx. arrival time.

When you arrive, you'll be taken up to the 12th floor to check-in. You can check-in as early as 7 up on the 12th floor, but your room might not be ready yet. If you want to check-in earlier than 7, you'll need to check-in downstairs. You can store your luggage anytime and when you have your room, you can call to have your things delivered, if you're in the room. If your room isn't ready, the concierge will ask for a cell number and you will receive a confirmation text almost immediately. Reply YES and then (hopefully) you'll be texted when the room is ready. I'd check again after your CM ADR if you don't hear about your room by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie521 View Post
Has anyone had experience staying at BLT and being able to check in early? We will be arriving to Disney around noon time. We did online check in an mentioned we would be arriving around 12 and noted early check in if possible. I am guessing it is luck of the draw. When we stayed at CSR two years ago our room was ready when we arrived around the same time. I am hoping the online check in will help with that
You've done all the right things to increase the chances your room will be ready. We booked a cash reservation and our room was ready before noon when we checked in.

Quote:
Hi!

I've just switched my February 2015 reservation from CBR to the Contemporary! V excited as I've always wanted to stay here but had a few questions and thought this would be the best place to ask!

We're currently booked into a garden wing garden view room for 14 nights. I'm contemplating switching to a TPV tower room but wondered if that was a good idea?

The pros as I see them are:

Closer to dining
Closer to monorail
Just generally more central feeling
View of MK!!

Cons

Cost (this is quite a big one!)
Possibly noisier? ( we will have DS1 and DS2 who will be 4 and 2 with us)
Elevators

I've read/heard that the elevators can be extremely busy and you often need to wait for them. We're going in the low season (last week of feb/first week of march) so this might not be so much of a problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
What a great switch and welcome! The Tower rooms are so convenient and the views are amazing. We prefer the BLV, which would save you some money. CR is a convention resort and is often full so the elevators do have a high demand placed on them. I wouldn't take that into consideration though in deciding upon a Tower room. The Tower rooms are quiet and I think you would love walking out your door each day and looking out at the MK and down at the 4th floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsmom View Post
Only the 12th and 14th floor Club Levels are restricted access. But keep in mind, anyone who wants to get onto a floor or room at any resort can find a way to do it. This isn't an issue at WDW, but I don't want you to have a false sense of security just because a floor is keyed access-only. Again, anyone who really wants to can find a way in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjay View Post
Currently booked 12/12-12/15 MK Tower View - Atrium CL for my birthday stay . Too excited right now since this is our first ever on-site stay!!!
I'll add your dates to the Log-orail. What a fantastic first onsite stay location!
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #780
xjay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'll add your dates to the Log-orail. What a fantastic first onsite stay location!
Thanks WDWKOOK! Our first trip to Disney World was last December and ever since we rode the Monorail through the Contemporary for the first time, I told my bf that the next time we go to Disney, we're going to be staying there . Now December just seems like a long way to go

Disneyland - Countless Times as a Kid
December 2013 - Off-Site *** December 2014 - AKL CL/Contemporary CL

Our Little Family :
Me(22) DBF(23) DDog(Kapu) DDog(Keanu)
xjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: