Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Angry Filthy Windows at BLT! WTH???

We are currently here at BLT for a 3 week stay. When we checked in, our room windows were filthy, but, giving Disney a break, I thought maybe we were catching them at a time where they were going to clean them VERY soon.

So after 2 weeks of our stay and no action to clean them, I started looking at the building overall and realized, this is not an isolated issue or one that has happened in just a few weeks, this has been months since the windows have been cleaned.

We own a significant number of BLT points and many others on here do and our maintenance dollars I am sure cover cleaning the windows. I wanted to know what was up with this, so I started with the DVC desk, they said it was a building issue, talk to the check-in desk, well they said it was a DVC issue.

I got both of them together at the same time and the people working the BLT desk for DVC and said this is just ridiculous. I told them someone should take ownership for this issue and get it resolved. DVC guides should have a vested interest in getting this resolved as it reflects on how Disney keeps their properties and BLT is supposed to be one of their best. After the conversation, both sides were emailing their respective contacts (not sure how much good that will do) and we were told to also call DVC member satisfaction. Again, not sure how much good it will do.

What amazes me is NOBODY else has complained about this?!?!?! (According to them).. REALLY? Everyone staying here for the past several months has not asked why the windows were so bad? I know it is Halloween, but seriously, this is just getting gross.

I would like to hear from others if they complained about it or not, and even ones that stay here after the end of October to see when they actually get cleaned.

I am putting up a couple of pictures to show how bad it really is. BTW, it is not just dirty (including the ground floor) but the spider webs are just insane and the spider nests are all over the place.

2010 - June/BLT-AKV | August/BWV | October/AKV | Dec - BLT
2011 - May/BLT | October/BLT | December/BLT
2012 - Feb/BLT | May- BCV | Sept - Grand Cal | Oct - AKL
2013 - Jan - Aulani, Oct -BLT/AKL
2014 - Mar - GFV, May - BLT

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Oct - BLT/AKV
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
rsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon View Post
I am putting up a couple of pictures to show how bad it really is. BTW, it is not just dirty (including the ground floor) but the spider webs are just insane and the spider nests are all over the place.
That would really, really freak me out.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
WDWLODGE
Mouseketeer

We check-in on Nov. 12th, I'll let you know how they look.
'80 Offsite + '99 Contemporary (Honeymoon) + '00 Carribbean Beach & Wilderness Lodge + '00 Disneyland + '01 Wilderness Lodge + '02 Coronado Springs + '03 Animal Kingdom Lodge + '04 PO Riverside & Wilderness Lodge + '05 PO French Quarter + '06 Pop Century & Disney Magic (May 6th Western) + '06 Polynesian + Nov/Dec '07 - Pop Century & Disney Magic(Dec 1st Western) + '08 Disneyland + Nov '09 PO French Quarter & Nov. 14th DCL Magic Double Dip + '10 Boardwalk + Oct '11 Wilderness Lodge + Oct '12 Caribbean Beach + Nov '13 1st DVC (Kidani Village) & Nov 16th Eastern Fantasy + Next: Nov '14 Bay Lake Tower
WDWLODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

If you are a member, contact DVC Member Satisfaction, most likely they contract this out. Send the pictures. dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

If you are not a member: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Last edited by DebbieB; 10-28-2014 at 06:45 AM.
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
If you are a member, contact DVC Member Satisfaction, most likely they contract this out. Send the pictures. dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

If you are not a member: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
Thank you, we are members and sending an email this morning. Hope it does some good.

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Oct - BLT/AKV
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

They may be in the process of power washing the cement exterior and are letting the windows slide until they are finished. Don't know. We were there over the summer and they were power washing the CR. Have never seen the windows that dirty and it looks like something that is running down the building. Imho, there is nothing wrong with complaining. They won't care but i think it is important to remind them we pay for that building (maintenance, taxes, personal who man it, power, water, tv, internet...). I am the same. I always swing by the CR and ask for the manager and give them a list of things that need to be fixed in the building, and i think we should do that. It isn't like they are doing repairs gratis... we pay millions for maintenance. We also pay millions for housekeeping...

I would not bother with the front desk BLT personal. They are going to give you lip service. The resort is managed by the CR. So i would go right to the CR and say something to the floor manager. I have dealt with them many times and they are always very nice and professional. I just ask them to make a note of it and pass it on to the appropriate person.

Thank you for caring.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
They may be in the process of power washing the cement exterior and are letting the windows slide until they are finished. Don't know. We were there over the summer and they were power washing the CR. Have never seen the windows that dirty and it looks like something that is running down the building. Imho, there is nothing wrong with complaining. They won't care but i think it is important to remind them we pay for that building (maintenance, taxes, personal who man it, power, water, tv, internet...). I am the same. I always swing by the CR and ask for the manager and give them a list of things that need to be fixed in the building, and i think we should do that. It isn't like they are doing repairs gratis... we pay millions for maintenance. We also pay millions for housekeeping...

I would not bother with the front desk BLT personal. They are going to give you lip service. The resort is managed by the CR. So i would go right to the CR and say something to the floor manager. I have dealt with them many times and they are always very nice and professional. I just ask them to make a note of it and pass it on to the appropriate person.

Thank you for caring.
I wish the power washing was the reason. Unfortunately the building itself is just as bad with dirt and webs everywhere. I even showed them on they awning over the entry how bad it was and they were "shocked" and hadn't noticed until I pointed it out.

We have talked to the managers at the desk before, will go that route again. Still surprised nobody has posted that they have noticed and complained about this before our trip.

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Oct - BLT/AKV
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
kapoof
DIS Veteran

That isn't good! You Dvc owners pay a lot for your points and deserve better.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
sarahandgreg
Mouseketeer

I have to be honest the cleaning of disney resorts sometimes leaves a LOT to be desired. I own mostly at OKW but have stayed in a lot of the resorts. Many many times I have checked into my room and found hairs in the tub, on the floor etc - long black hairs, not small hairs that you may miss. balcony with hair on them, even dirty dishes in the cupboards - yes, I kid you not.
My fave is the fact that the corners of the rooms don't get done ever - the dust that builds there is quite the thing. I don't get it. Limescale on all the faucets in the Treehouse Villas, broken dishwasher doors, faucets that don't work at all in some cases. I have never had dirty bedding tho - although I bet many have.
My other pet peeve of late is that the units have not enough crockery in them - obv they don't check this before the next guest comes in - my last visit at OKW, I had ONE pan, 3 cups, 3 dishes, NO spatula, No frypan, no ladle - these units are meant to be home away from home - now I don't expect a full set of everything, but I do expect to be able to cook a simple meal or heat up a pizza and be able to serve it. Its very noticeable the cutbacks they are making - come on Disney - you are meant to be a cut above the others so don't let the standards slip to save a few $$$$$ - wow this turned into a bit of a rant - phew, glad to have it off my chest. :-)
sarahandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahandgreg View Post
I have to be honest the cleaning of disney resorts sometimes leaves a LOT to be desired. I own mostly at OKW but have stayed in a lot of the resorts. Many many times I have checked into my room and found hairs in the tub, on the floor etc - long black hairs, not small hairs that you may miss. balcony with hair on them, even dirty dishes in the cupboards - yes, I kid you not.
My fave is the fact that the corners of the rooms don't get done ever - the dust that builds there is quite the thing. I don't get it. Limescale on all the faucets in the Treehouse Villas, broken dishwasher doors, faucets that don't work at all in some cases. I have never had dirty bedding tho - although I bet many have.
My other pet peeve of late is that the units have not enough crockery in them - obv they don't check this before the next guest comes in - my last visit at OKW, I had ONE pan, 3 cups, 3 dishes, NO spatula, No frypan, no ladle - these units are meant to be home away from home - now I don't expect a full set of everything, but I do expect to be able to cook a simple meal or heat up a pizza and be able to serve it. Its very noticeable the cutbacks they are making - come on Disney - you are meant to be a cut above the others so don't let the standards slip to save a few $$$$$ - wow this turned into a bit of a rant - phew, glad to have it off my chest. :-)
If you are missing items in your villa when you check in, just call Housekeeping and ask them to bring you replacements. There should be a list posted on a kitchen cabinet door that tells you everything that should be there.

If ever we find a maintenance problem when we arrive in our villa, we call Maintenance and ask them to fix it. They've done a pretty good job of doing the repairs needed.

But lots of time it is just easier to wash that one dish myself. Or wipe up the spill I find rather than call the Housekeepers to do it. If it is a big problem, I will call them and they have responded.

Just don't waste your time calling the front desk. You'll just get a call center somewhere. If you want to complain to someone, walk to the front desk and ask to speak to the manager on duty.

And follow up with a letter or email to Member Satisfaction that DebbieB provided if you are a member.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
ParkHoppers
Mouseketeer

OP good job on bringing attention to this issue. We check in Nov 11th and will let you know how they look.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

The spider issue is due to Bay Lake. I live on a lake about the size of Bay Lake, and the number of spiders, webs, and nests on a day-to-day basis is impossible to control. Even if they had window washers up there every morning, all the webs would be back by day's end. It's an endless cycle and one of the cons of living on water.

As for the rest of the dirt, I do agree that could be better managed by doing window washing at least once a week. I'd imagine that's a tedious, rather expensive process which would be why it's not done a lot. I'd be curious to know how often it is actually done.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
The spider issue is due to Bay Lake. I live on a lake about the size of Bay Lake, and the number of spiders, webs, and nests on a day-to-day basis is impossible to control. Even if they had window washers up there every morning, all the webs would be back by day's end. It's an endless cycle and one of the cons of living on water.

As for the rest of the dirt, I do agree that could be better managed by doing window washing at least once a week. I'd imagine that's a tedious, rather expensive process which would be why it's not done a lot. I'd be curious to know how often it is actually done.
We were at Bay Lake at the end of September and noticed the dirty windows, too. Our room's slider was tolerable because there were curtains, but the banks of windows by the elevators were floor-to-ceiling so it was hard to miss.

My DD and I had previously lived in South Florida for 25 years. We always felt we were constantly beating back the jungle, which would quickly try to overtake our property the moment we lessened our yard maintenance. So at BLT we figured the untouched swamp acreage surrounding the property, plus the big lakes on both sides were the culprits. Probably with every wind and rain, stuff flew from the natural environment and stuck when it hit BLT. As PP wrote, cleaning those windows every single day would have a small effect vs a prohibitive window-washing budget and guest annoyance of constant outside maintenance. In the time we stayed at BLT, both the walking path of the BLT sky bridge and the Contemporary's large 4th floor outdoor deck were power-washed. It's probably worse in the wet season vs the dry winter season.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
JSTX
Mouseketeer

Spoke with Manager of Housekeeping yesterday. Evidently the windows have not been cleaned for some time. She told me there was an incident that occurred and now they are waiting for an approval from a safety standpoint to get the crew in to clean the windows. I asked if it was an OHSA issue, and she indicated it was something along that line.

Evidently this is an issue across WDW. She could not tell me when the windows would be cleaned, but did agree that when they did get approval to do it, it would be a HUGE job because the windows are HORRIBLE!.

She said they would not be cleaned before we leave on Sunday, but told me it would be corrected before our next trip. Of course I don't think she expected us to be retuning the first of December.

So if you are arriving in the next few weeks I would expect to see dirty windows.

I did find an article talking about safety fencing that OSHA was requiring on roofs at DL and WDW, so I don't know if that is related.

But the bigger issues is that the windows have NOT been cleaned for sometime and they can not tell you when they will be cleaned.

Of course, that should not excuse the filthy windows on the ground flour that anyone in housekeeping could easily clean now. But I guess since the window cleaning is done by a third-party company, that is not part of the standard housekeeping duties.

I wonder when the annual owners meeting is. Would be an interesting topic, if the issue is not corrected before that date.
May 14-22, 2011 - Bay Lake Tower | December 16-19, 2010 - Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club | October 2-9, 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo - Grand Villa) | August 14-16, 2010 - Boardwalk Villas | June 11-18, 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and Bay Lake Tower | October 4 - 12, 2009 - Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) | July 15-20, 2009 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and Tree House Villas | January 17-24, 2009 - Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort | September 27-29, 2008 - Saratoga Springs Resort | July 29-Aug 5, 2008 - Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Villas | January 2008 - Old Key West | July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas | March 2007 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista | October 2006 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista | August 2005 - (Offsite) Marriott Grand Vista
JSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
312.Duck
pro-Duck

I CONCUR!

I just returned from WDW, and had a three-day stay at BLT for the first time. That was BY FAR the most egregious issue I noticed. I was shocked, to say the least.

I think the windows most people notice at resorts are their own, and they're usually the sliding glass doors which are kept clean by the regular mousekeepers. I had a studio at BLT, so that wasn't a problem, but the hallway windows overlooking the pool, and the elevator lookouts - which should provide a gorgeous view of Seven Seas and the MK - are loaded with yuck. I would be upset if I had a 1 BR and was stuck looking at that my whole trip, or even more so if this was my home resort! It was bad enough that when sitting at the pool one could look up and see how dirty the windows are.

Now, I am not the trip planner (my wife (TyRy) is), but my assumption (probably wrong!) is that we'd get some kind of questionnaire about our stay, in which I would boldly note how bad the windows are? If not, I'm sorry for not having brought it up while there. I would still be willing to make it known to them; that this is not acceptable.

I'm sorry I didn't get a good picture as my camera was ruined and I was stuck with only my cell, but the OP's pictures are spot on.

After my 3 day stint at BLT, I transferred to AKL, staying at Jambo House in the DVC rooms. First thing I noticed was their huge, common-area windows were spotless.

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."
312.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: