Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
browneyes
DIS Veteran

What is that hang upside down exercise equipment called?

My SO thinks he wants one of those things that you hang upside down on to help relieve lower back pressure. Does anyone know what it's called? Does anyone have one? Would you recommend it?
browneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:18 AM   #2
Pugsley
Have AP, will travel
Send me a postcard, but spell my name right

Browneyes, I don't remember exactly what it's called (I think something like "Hang-ups"), but you can get in on Home Shopping Network. Just go to hsn.com and look through their exercise equipment. A warning... my sister broke her back on that thing. Her feet weren't secured well enough and she fell on her head.
Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
Goofyposter
Director of Farmland Defense

Browneyes...if I'm thinking about what you're talking about is right...I think they've been marketed under a number of names...the swing machine, hang-ups, etc.

In a general this form of exercise is call an inversion exercise.

While it does offer some advantages...I'd be very careful about a couple of things. 1) will SO have a spotter with him whenever he uses it? 2) will you get one of the retail versions or spring for the much better/safer commercial gym quality machine, 3) does anyone who'd use this have any history of back/neck injuries? 4) if he gets this, by no means get it without also getting the thickest highest quality floor matting available.

Hope this helps!

btw...if SO wants to target abs...a much safer alternative would be a dipping station...it's basically the same movements (for abs) that he'd get with an inverse sit up

Uhyuck,Uhyuck,Uhyuck!!!

Quote:
"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do.....They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either."

Walt Disney
Goofyposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
tstobb
Zurg's Great Nemosis
Closet believer
hint hint hint

Also be aware of the extra strain that inversion excercises place on your joints. My knees were unable to support my inverted weight & I'm very thin (but bad kneed!).
Old 02-04-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

My husband has the inversion boots and he hangs from them in the basement every morning after he runs. Personally, I don't think it does anything but he swears by it. To each hi own I guess.

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #6
browneyes
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I think I found what he was wanting info on. It's called an inversion table.

Pugsley, your sister broke her back on one?

RR, ??

Goofy, he's mostly wanting it to relieve pressure off of his lower back. He has sciatica and he read or heard from someone the hangup thing might help relieve some of that pressure. More than likely, I'll be his spotter. He used to see a chiropractor frequently because of his back, but I don't think he's ever had a back injury. I haven't had an injury either, but I doubt I'll use the thing (if I want the blood to rush to my head, I'll stand on my head like my kids do ). Thanks for the info and the advice.

Thanks, Tstobb. I don't think he's checked into this thorougly enough. I'd hate for him to work on one problem and create more. I didn't think of the knees having pressure.

Jill, I think my SO is thinking of those boots. I told him I'd love for him to get one of those tables though and have just enough room to flip him around a time or 2 (j/k). I think that's why he's thinking of the boots instead of the table.
browneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
Pugsley
Have AP, will travel
Send me a postcard, but spell my name right

Yep, she broke her back. It wasnít as bad as it could have been; I think it was a couple of minor bones. But she was out of work for about a month and is still in physical therapy several months later. She was alone when she did it, which, as Goofyposter said, is not a good idea. I think she just didnít clamp her feet in all the way and when she was fully inverted she slipped out of the thing. I donít know how she managed not to lock her feet in, but the thing is advertised to be totally safe and itís obviously not.
Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
Bob O
Voice of Reason
Go Hawks Go!
I'm not a republican, I'm a conservative!!!

When i see the pictures i can think of some uses for that swing, but exercise/back problems isnt one of them!!!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
imgoingtodisney
Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will enjoy it!

I had to open this thread just to see what ratsrule had to say
imgoingtodisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: