Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
stackyallred
DIS Veteran

Your Boma breakfast reviews has convinced me we need to go there on our upcoming trip! We have had a wonderful experience at dinner but hadn't ventured over there for breakfast. Between DS, my mom and I we have all sort of things to avoid and seeing how well you ate really helped me. Thanks so much!

Honeymoon @ ASM 2003 / Caribbean Beach Resort 2005 / DL 2006 / Bonnet Creek Resort 2007 /
Pop 2008 x2 / POP 2009 / POP 2010 / WBC & BWV 2011 / POP 2012 / POP & AKL 2013/ AKL & POP 2014
The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic! A TR of sacrificial joy!
stackyallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

I'm just coming back to the DIS after a long break (planning a trip in December), and it is so nice to see your allergy reviews. I always find them so helpful, and encouraging.

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 14)

_
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #18
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Boy did I drop the ball on my reviews. I need to get more of them written. I'll try to remember to do that. I love knowing that they help people. I really enjoy reading other people's reviews as well.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest - supper

Weíre a fun group to dine with. Three of the four of us has lists of allergies plus DD16 is autistic so dining is always a challenge. Iíll try to explain my thoughts from both an autism perspective (DD16 is very high functioning) as well as an allergy perspective. Our allergies are as follows.
Me: gluten, milk, sesame, hazelnut, pork, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern)
DD16: gluten, milk, eggs, citrus (citric acid is ok), yeast, msg, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern), star anise
DD13: gluten, milk, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, sesame, hops, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern), blueberry, cranberry, raw carrots, raw peaches, raw fruit skins besides grapes, citrus (citric acid is ok), lima beans, soy products other than Tofutti and Follow Your Heart (soyís not the problem but we havenít identified what ingredient in Silk and other soy products cause Oral Allergy Syndrome)

I usually try to avoid evening ADRs because DD16 typically burns out part way through the day and by supper time she gets irritable. Unfortunately the only time BOG is a TS restaurant is for supper so in order to give it a try I had to go with a supper ADR. I booked an early time hoping that by eating at or slightly before our normal dinner time (we usually eat early) that she would be able to handle it. She struggled. Our ADR was at 4:35pm and we checked in around 10 minutes early. We had a few minutes to take pictures from the bridge before we were called.

When seated, we thought the way the napkin was folded as a rose was a nice touch.

We were seated at a table right on the main isle in the ballroom right over by the entrance to the west wing. This made it easy to get to with the wheelchair and it gave us room to park the chair right beside the table. I had expected the ballroom to be brighter than it was. It was big and airy and open feeling but it still seemed dim. Obviously nowhere near as dim as the west wing but not cafeteria bright like I had expected (this is a good thing; Iím not complaining). With the ceilings being so high I expected the room to be really loud but it didnít seem that way at all. Being over by the wall Iím sure helped not only with the sound but also with not having to worry about people accidentally bumping DD16 (we purposely had her back to the wall to keep people away).

The chef who worked with us was really nice and really went out of his way to take care of us. They have 2 different kinds of breads; GNI rolls and Food For Life millet bread. DD13 enjoyed the FFL bread since she canít eat GNI and I enjoyed my rolls as they were served nicely warmed up. We were given Earth Balance margarine with the bread.

DD13 and I both wanted the scallop and shrimp dish but that's normally served in a big pastry in a creamy sauce so that just wouldn't. The chef basically said to us to choose a protein from the menu and then we'd figure out what to serve with it. What he served us was delicious and the seafood was cooked perfectly. I wanted asparagus and DD13 wanted broccolini but otherwise our food was the same. I like that the fries are served with truffle salt. I asked the chef for extra so he gave me a tiny dish with some in it. DD16 and I both added more to our fries. Iím not sure that we could actually taste a difference between regular salt and truffle salt but psychologically we believed that we could and we enjoyed it which is what really matters.

DD16 was fighting to cope with autistic her issues so we were having a lot of trouble coming up with anything she would want (when sheís struggling, she can NOT make a decision and gets more and more worked up as she tries). The chef finally was able to coax some things out of her that she would be happy with resulting in a custom dish. What you see here is sautťed mushrooms, sautťed broccolini, and french fries with truffle salt. She really enjoyed it once she started eating. Her mood completely turned around once the food was in front of her thank goodness. We were charged as though she ordered ratatouille since what she got was a vegetarian compilation and the ratatouille is the restaurantís vegetarian dish.

Before going to WDW I had heard that the french onion soup was vegetarian and gluten free but I couldnít get any information about whether or not they had soy cheese or could make it with gluten free bread. Since they have the slices of FFL bread Iím not sure why the chef said he couldnít do anything more than serve it without bread and cheese but thatís what he said so I didnít bother order it. Whatís french onion soup without melted cheese? I was actually surprised at just how many restaurants did not have soy cheese. Oh well. It certainly didnít hurt to ask even if I was disappointed with the answer.

DD16 was the only one who wanted dessert. The only thing that was available to her was the raspberry sorbet. She said it was good though I think it was similar to any other sorbet weíve had at WDW.

While waiting for our food, DD13 and I strolled into the west wing to take a look. No way would DD16 have handled being in there. It was nice to look around but the thunder and darkness and people passing by the tables to look around would have sent her completely over the line to full blown meltdown.

Once we finished eating and took care of our bill we got up to leave. The only way out of the restaurant is to go through the library by the Beast. This is the same room where you place your order at lunch, or so I assume since you could see kiosks. There was only one family ahead of us so we didnít have much of a wait. We probably could have skipped him and just walked out but we figured we were there and DD16 was doing much better so why not? They did have a photopass photographer there which was nice. Beast posed for a few pictures with us and then we left. One thing I do want to note is that I had to actually move one of the posts at the end of the queue so I could fit DD13ís wheelchair through. That surprised me. Itís the kind that is just on a stand and moves very easily so no big deal but it did surprise me.

Sorry about the not so clear pictures but with the lighting in there and my point&shoot camera they just weren't coming out well.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #20
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

The Mara - supper (several times)

Weíre a fun group to dine with. Three of the four of us has lists of allergies plus DD16 is autistic so dining is always a challenge. Iíll try to explain my thoughts from both an autism perspective (DD16 is very high functioning) as well as an allergy perspective. Our allergies are as follows.
Me: gluten, milk, sesame, hazelnut, pork, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern)
DD16: gluten, milk, eggs, citrus (citric acid is ok), yeast, msg, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern), star anise
DD13: gluten, milk, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, sesame, hops, peanuts (minor - cross contamination not a concern), blueberry, cranberry, raw carrots, raw peaches, raw fruit skins besides grapes, citrus (citric acid is ok), lima beans, soy products other than Tofutti and Follow Your Heart (soyís not the problem but we havenít identified what ingredient in Silk and other soy products cause Oral Allergy Syndrome)

Because we were staying at AKL and having so many allergies I had heard from some chefs before heading out to WDW. Mara has a great reputation and the chefs on the phone went over some of the options that they have on hand so I felt really good about being able to get food at Mara. They certainly didnít disappoint. We ate supper here several times during out stay and I wouldnít hesitate to recommend it to others.

I was a bit forgetful when it came to pictures for our meals at Mara. Iíll include the ones Iíve got but there are definitely some nice meals which are pictureless.

The ordering area of Mara is different than other resort QS locations that weíve been in. At Mara thereís a line in the center of the food area and you place your order with a CM who is holding a clipboard. Because we always went at really off-hours there was never a line so no big deal but if we had have had to wait in that line just to be sent over to then wait for a chef I probably would have been a little frustrated. We were always directed to a counter just past the smoothie station. Generally it only took a minute for a chef to come out but a couple times we did have to wait a little longer. During busy times I would imagine it would take longer which is where the frustration would come in. Little things like this donít actually bother me but I wanted to let people know in case it is an issue. DD16 always waited up in the room for us to bring her food to her up there so waiting wasnít an issue for us.

The dining area is smaller than Iím used to. Eating at off times made it no big deal since there were only maybe 2 or 3 other occupied tables when we were there but I would imagine that during busy times it might be difficult to find a table. There were also tables outside but with DD13ís bug phobia and my general dislike for eating outside we never used those tables. DD16 never joined us and we just brought her food up to the rooms. The rest of us sometimes ate downstairs and sometimes in our room. They have lids to put over the plates and the CMs working the cash registers have different size bags theyíll give you if you ask.

Our first time going in was actually a night where we were originally supposed to eat supper at Boma but cancelled since we had already eaten at Boma the night before and wanted something quieter. Well, the chef had prepared something special for me at Boma (I promise I cancelled when we showed up the night before at Boma but I guess the chef hadnít been informed) so I ordered that. Oops! It was delicious but not typically on the menu so I donít want to go into details.

DD13 ate a lot of pizza at Mara. They only had 1 crust left our first night so she was able to get it and the chef said he would order more so she could have pizzas the rest of our trip which he did. They didnít have any soy cheese and thatís not something they ordered in at all during out stay which disappointed me. DD13 enjoyed her cheeseless pepperoni pizza so thatís what matters. She did learn the hard way that day though that pepperoni straight out of the oven is HOT. She ended up with a blister on her lip from it. After that she was super cautious when first biting into her pizza. Clearly our food came out directly from the oven. She ordered pizza several times, always without cheese since they never had any, but most times she got them to add bacon. They used Udiís crusts.

I wanted pizza too but I wasnít thrilled with the idea of cheeseless pizza. I figured maybe it would be good if I had some kind of loaded pizza so I asked about the BBQ chicken one. The BBQ sauce wasnít safe. But, the chef did say he could use the tomato sauce or the sauce from the vegetarian pizza and load it with whatever I wanted. I basically had the vegetarian pizza with chicken added. The first time I got it the chef that night used the vegetarian sauce and gave me the balsamic drizzle. The other chefs used the tomato sauce and I think only one of them added the drizzle. The best one was the first but I loved them all. They were delicious. They honestly didnít need the cheese and actually they likely wouldnít have been as good with cheese. They were I guess more like loaded bruschetta than pizza but whatever you want to call them, I devoured them.

DD16 wanted chicken tenders with fries every single meal. Not every place at WDW does the chicken tenders and fries the same as some bake them vs fry them and some just cook too long. At Mara every single time they were done perfectly. I know it doesnít sound like it should be difficult to get something like that right but youíd be surprised how many times they come out different when theyíre the same frozen premade food. DD13 and I did get them ourselves at least once and they are good. We love the ones they have at WDW.

One night the kids thought ribs sounded good so they ordered those instead. I donít know if they have a BBQ sauce that would have been safe or not but my kids typically donít want BBQ sauce so they just order them without. It was a pretty good size order so they split it. They said it was really good.

Since I canít eat pork and I wasnít overly hungry I was having trouble deciding what to eat. It turned out that one of the soups they were serving over at Boma was safe for me so the chef got me a cup of that. It was some kind of vegetarian lentil soup. It was very flavourful and more than enough to eat since I wasnít overly hungry.

The pastry chef at the resort outdid herself too. That first night the chef brought out a huge plate of mini chocolate cupcakes. They were made with the same batter as the cake portion of the cupcakes we got at Jiko so they were quite tasty. It was really nice having special treats.

Another night, I was thrilled to see what the chef brought out for us. There was a plate of plain Chex Krispy treats and a plate where the ears had been dipped in chocolate. Have I mentioned that the pastry chef at AKL outdid herself?

They did have Babycakes mini cupcakes in the fridge so we bought those a few times as well.

We really didnít go for a lot of variety and we never made it down there for breakfast but what we did have was amazing. The chefs all took their time to go over our lists and to pull out ingredients and recipe sheets to be sure of every ingredient and they were very patient with all of our questions. I always worry about the QS options at a new resort because we do eat a lot of QS at our resort but Mara definitely was a great place to eat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: