Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
idohair
Earning My Ears

Help with a Disney surprise

Ok, so I'm taking my 8 year old in November.

She has been asking to go almost daily since my BFF and I went alone to DL in November.

She heard me on the phone today talking to my BFF about out November plans to bring a kid each this year.

I wanted to do a Disney surprise for her about 2 weeks befor we go in November ( planning nov 10-15)

What on earth am I going to do now?

I REALLY want to surprise her, and if I start planning now I can make it a good one!

Sandra
idohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
KeepOnDreaming
Earning My Ears

My daughter overheard me and a friend when I was doing a suprise trip, I just played it off as if we were "Dreaming" of what it would be like if we ever could go with the 2 of us and her close friend and mom. This is not an unusual thing for my family to catch me doing so she totally beleived me, and she was 18. It also came in handy when I wanted to plan dinners and what not, I could ask her hypothetically "What would we do if we all went, DL first or CA? Where would be afun place to eat if we didn't have the younger kids?". etc. etc. Keep the act up and do the suprise when it is closer!
KeepOnDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
nikkislaght
DIS Veteran

We are surprising my son and Friends niece for our upcoming April trip, we leave on 2nd, so we are telling them April Fools .
I have a little journal, with Mickey and Minnie pens, a couple of magic towels, a new Disney shirt that will be wrapped with their plane and Disney tickets on top. I will give them the parcel to open..
The T shirts I'm printing myself . It is the Mickey outline with the words,
I can't keep calm, I'm going to Disneyland....

Some people do scavenger hunts, some just wake their child early throw them in the car and head out. Some don't tell their chid until they get there.
Some people have to prepare their child and can't surprise them.
If you are flying you could say a friend of yours is coming into town and when you go to pick them up at the airport, tell her you are going to Disney instead.
My son has SPD , so I had to do this surprise in such a way that he will cope with the change in plans...
I feel ok about a positive reaction from him , as just today he was begging to go to Disneyland
nikkislaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
idohair
Earning My Ears

I china telly want to order her autograph book harped of time as part of the surprise.

My cousin when they took their oldest had him accompany them to the airport when her and her husband were going away on. "Business" when they got dropped off, they said there goodbyes then as the kid went to get in the van they said " well you ready to go? You coming?" It was priceless.

Would it be mean if I told her we can't go this year? Like make a big deal of not being able to go, then surprise her in October?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
KeepOnDreaming
Earning My Ears

I think a little "misleading" wouldn't hurt at all! Do it in a way to build up to the big reveal.
KeepOnDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
valiamo
Mouseketeer

Distraction is the best method. Get them planning a seperate vacation, and lay Disneyland on them at the last minute.

We told our boys that we were heading to Vancouver for visit. I told the youngest we would take the special limo ride from the airport to the hotel, that I had a couple of meetings, and then off to Stanley Park and the aquarium.

We got on the plane, flew them to Vancouver, and like 2 boys they started bickering (they were hungry and tired) I stopped them in the middle of the airport, gave them heck and told them we were catching the next plane out of Vancouver. I marched them over to the US border check-in and it was then we told them they were going to Disneyland. Sad thing, is our youngest was upset at not being able to ride a limo in Vancouver.

Thinking about Our Next Trip... maybe WDW Feb 2015!
valiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
KeKy4
Mouseketeer

I just wouldn't talk about it anymore, don't drop any hints or let her catch you making plans. November is a long ways away, she'll probably forget about it and still be surprised.
- Aug 2014 - Birthday trip!
Oct 2014 - Fall Break!
KeKy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
idohair
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKy4 View Post
I just wouldn't talk about it anymore, don't drop any hints or let her catch you making plans. November is a long ways away, she'll probably forget about it and still be surprised.

Oh she isn't forgetting
She asks every dang day
I went in November, and she brings up " mommy got to go and I didn't" EVERY. DANG. DAY!

I can't handle the questioning when she gets to go lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: