Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Dining - questions re: kids meals and opinions needed

I am completely overwhelmed planning our first trip to CA! I figured the easiest step (for now) is planning out or meals. LOL.

First, can children over 9 order off the kids' meals at sit down restaurants or no? DD (12) is very picky....and would rather eat off the kids' meals if possible. Obviously places like Goofy's, Storyteller's, etc. we would be charged the adult price anywhere else? WOC packages too?

These are the places we have picked so far to eat: Any opinions or feedback is welcome!
Big Thunder BBQ
Flo's
Cocina Grill
Storyteller's breakfast
Goofy's breakfast
Plaza Inn
Carnation Cafe

Anywhere else I should look into?

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

We love Cafe Orleans.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
SMD
DIS Veteran

She can order off the kids menu, it will be twice the portion for twice the price. The WOC menus are all prix fixe, so you will pay the adult price. I've never tried, but I'd heard that if they do serve an adult off the kid's menu at them, it's not a double portion. I know at regular Carthay they wouldn't let me pay for dessert off the kids menu.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

Big Thunder BBQ is my all time favorite place!

Counter Service places you can order off the kids menu and it shouldn't be adult priced. My wife is a picky vegetarian eater and she will order kids pasta and they bring the double portion for double price at places like Cafe Orleans, etc.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Thank you all!

Can you pay using Gift Cards at the restaurants or room charge and pay with GCs? (staying at DLH).

Also, at say, Carnation cafe, can i just order soup?

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
Thank you all!

Can you pay using Gift Cards at the restaurants or room charge and pay with GCs? (staying at DLH).

Also, at say, Carnation cafe, can i just order soup?
Yes, they take gift cards, but it is easier for me to charge it to the room (so I could add tip.) And yes, you can order just a bowl of soup if you wish.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
purple figment
DIS Veteran

On your list Big Thunder BBQ is also a fixed price venue. We really enjoy the ribs and chicken. There are some a la carte desserts that can be ordered if you have room! The Deep Dish Cookie and ice cream dessert is delicious, but huge.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
clori
DIS Veteran

Our favorite place was Big Thunder Ranch. We loved the entertainment and the food. They were great at refills. Desserts sounded good but after seconds no room left. I believe we got a 10% discount either from our Disney Visa or our AAA bonus coupon book.

We didn't plan on Goofy's but did it more spur of the moment on the day of arrival. We walked in and were able to be seated right away without a reservation. It was a Saturday so we had brunch. There was something for everyone. Service was great. I remember trying to figure out how my drink was refilled or switched without me noticing. I think we saw more characters there than we ever have at a WDW character meal. Some of them we saw several times and Goofy kept coming over to play.

Flo's had a decent breakfast but never had lunch there. We liked the food better at the pizza/pasta type place near Goofy's coaster (don't remember the name) than we liked lunch at Plaza Inn.
2/04 Pop Century, 1/06 Pop Century 1/09 Pop Century
1/05 Disney Magic 1/09 Disney Wonder 7/13 Disneyland
clori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
DarthMole
DIS Veteran

We had three Disney dinners on our last trip and asked for adult menus for our 11yo son at Steakhouse 55, Storytellers, and Blue Bayou. At the first two, my son didn't see anything he wanted and ended up ordering off the kids menu. We were fully prepared for the double portion/double price. Both times he was given the smaller portion and we were only charged the kid price. He's not a big eater, so he was fine with the portion size. At Blue Bayou, he ended up ordering off the adult menu and was so excited about it.

So if you want the larger portion kids meal, be sure to let the server know that's what you're intentions are because they may just bring out the smaller one even if your child is over 9 and has an adult menu at the table.
DarthMole is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: