Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

POFQ vs CB?

So far we've had four family trips and stayed at four different resorts -- ASMo, ASSp, POP, and POFQ. We love the idea of trying out different resorts, but deluxe are beyond our budget at this time (and not sure I'd want to spend that much anyway--rather do more days at a less expensive resort!).

Anyway, we've always thought it would be fun to try out different resorts on each trip. But we stayed at POFQ last year and loved it! We booked a bounce back to go back this August with free dining once again.

Now I'm wondering whether to stay there again or switch up and stay at a different moderate. My kids have seen CS when we drop off or pick up with the DME. They don't like the looks of it, so that's out. (Maybe they'd love it, but no convincing them of that right now!). So that really leaves CB. I know POR is another option, but if we stay at POFQ, we'll go over and use the pool, food court, etc.

So how does CB compare to POFQ? The one thing that worries me is the layout and the multiple bus stops. We loved the fact that there was only one stop at POFQ and everything was so close. We only did the pick-up at POR once during our week and still comment that we think we'd really dislike that every time we got on a bus. Do the buses at CB stop at each bus depot on every trip? How long does it take to "get on the road?" Are the pools that much better? Are the rooms really that far away from the food court/buses? Does that mean I'd need to pay for a preferred room, making the cost more than POFQ? My kids will be 14 and 12.

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-2014, POFQ-August 2015!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
So far we've had four family trips and stayed at four different resorts -- ASMo, ASSp, POP, and POFQ. We love the idea of trying out different resorts, but deluxe are beyond our budget at this time (and not sure I'd want to spend that much anyway--rather do more days at a less expensive resort!).

Anyway, we've always thought it would be fun to try out different resorts on each trip. But we stayed at POFQ last year and loved it! We booked a bounce back to go back this August with free dining once again.

Now I'm wondering whether to stay there again or switch up and stay at a different moderate. My kids have seen CS when we drop off or pick up with the DME. They don't like the looks of it, so that's out. (Maybe they'd love it, but no convincing them of that right now!). So that really leaves CB. I know POR is another option, but if we stay at POFQ, we'll go over and use the pool, food court, etc.

So how does CB compare to POFQ? The one thing that worries me is the layout and the multiple bus stops. We loved the fact that there was only one stop at POFQ and everything was so close. We only did the pick-up at POR once during our week and still comment that we think we'd really dislike that every time we got on a bus. Do the buses at CB stop at each bus depot on every trip? How long does it take to "get on the road?" Are the pools that much better? Are the rooms really that far away from the food court/buses? Does that mean I'd need to pay for a preferred room, making the cost more than POFQ? My kids will be 14 and 12.
I can't compare the two as we've never stayed at POFQ, but we loved CBR. There are multiple stops within the resort, but we didn't find that to be a problem as we thought the buses were quick and efficient. We never found crowded buses and we always had a seat. CBR is centrally located and it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. We've stayed at CBR and several deluxe resorts and out of all of our resort stays, CBR has been the best as far as bus transportation (in our experience). Everyone's opinion/experience is different and while you may or may not like CBR, you won't know unless you try it for yourself. We loved everything about CBR and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. If you want to try something new, I think CBR is a great choice (just my opinion). CBR is also due to start room refurbs in April (with the double beds being replaced with queens). Good luck with your decision, but I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We love POFQ too but I know what you mean about trying new resorts.

The multiple bus stops and double beds keep us away from CBR. If they do replace the beds with queens that would be excellent.

I would definitely book a preferred room if we stayed there.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and without a doubt would chose POFQ over CBR. It's really not even close.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
OnceUponATime15
Disney frequent flyer..

We've stayed at both & loved both! Not much help I know.. lol.

We were in building 25 Martinique at the CBR & it was perfect! We were steps from busses, Old Port Royale & right between the main pool & a lovely quiet pool. The grounds are very pretty. The only thing stopping us from going back right now is the rooms needed to be updated.. Once that is complete this year, we look forward to another stay.

We've stayed at POFQ several times in Building 2 facing the river near the dock where you catch the boat to DTD. Love it too! The compactness of the resort with the beautiful New Orleans/Mardi Gras theming is awesome! The bus stops only in one place & that's a big plus. No quiet pools.. the main pool is large & can be a bit busy. We always end up back at POFQ. It was our first moderate & holds a special place in our hearts.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and much prefer CBR. We really liked POFQ, but if CBR is a choice it wins every time.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Lavitz
Mouseketeer

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post

Quick question for you. When did you stay last year? I thought POFQ was no longer eligible for free dining anymore so I ended up going to POP last year. And now you got a bounce back for the same deal, we really need a jealous emoticon for situations like this

-edit
Found your response about the PIN in another thread. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Lavitz; 03-10-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Found info elsewhere
Lavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavitz View Post
Quick question for you. When did you stay last year? I thought POFQ was no longer eligible for free dining anymore so I ended up going to POP last year. And now you got a bounce back for the same deal, we really need a jealous emoticon for situations like this
POFQ has always been eligible for free dining when booked as a bb. It's just been in the last year or two since it hasn't been offered as an option during free dining for the general public. Free dining bb offers for this year begin Aug. 20th.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Yep, last year we checked in on August 25, using a Free Dining PIN code that started that day. Then the bounce back offer for this year starts on August 20th.

And I never would have known about the PIN code if I didn't call and ask! Never saw an e-mail or snail mail about it, but called several times to check and finally got the answer I was looking for!

For our family of four adults, Free Dining is a HUGE savings. We were perfectly happy staying at a Value, but once we upgraded to the regular dining plan instead of QS, the price was about the same as staying at a Moderate. That's how we ended up at POFQ!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Since you already have the free dining bounceback and you seem to go annually, I say stay with POFQ. Try CBR next year after the refurb (which will include queen beds).
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and, call me crazy, but we much prefer the size of the CBR over the size of POFQ. I know, I know....most like a small compact resort. With the CBR being large, the guests are distributed throughout the resort making it feel less crowded. The multiple bus stops at the CBR doesn't bother us at all. The buses will stop at each stop before heading to the parks but it really doesn't take a whole lot of time unless someone boards in a wheelchair or scooter.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
we much prefer the size of the CBR over the size of POFQ. I know, I know....most like a small compact resort. With the CBR being large, the guests are distributed throughout the resort making it feel less crowded.
I agree with you about this. I prefer POR vs POFQ because of the size. I just dont care for the smallness of POFQ. Not a fan at all.

Anyway, between POFQ vs CB, i'd pick POR. Seriously thou, CB has double beds, so thats out. No way i'd stay at a moderate resort that has double beds. Why would I when the others have queen size??? Its so much more spacious.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I agree with you about this. I prefer POR vs POFQ because of the size. I just dont care for the smallness of POFQ. Not a fan at all.

Anyway, between POFQ vs CB, i'd pick POR. Seriously thou, CB has double beds, so thats out. No way i'd stay at a moderate resort that has double beds. Why would I when the others have queen size??? Its so much more spacious.
I wish that we had stayed at POR instead of FQ. Maybe we would have liked it more.

By the way, the CBR is set to begin a refurb in April of this year. Getting queen beds and new room décor!

**Edited to add: Oh and I'm glad to read that we aren't the only family who enjoys a larger resort over a small one. People always think I'm nuts when I tell them that.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback! I understand what a couple of you said about liking the spread-out feeling of CB and POR over POFQ. But there are twice as many rooms at those resorts, too, aren't there? So you're dealing with twice as many people! Are the food courts twice as big? That was the one thing I didn't like about POP was the food court always seemed crowded, loud, chaotic. POFQ on the other hand seemed much more relaxing.

I have a feeling we'll end up staying with POFQ since we were so happy with it last time. But I do have this nagging feeling that I'm missing out on something at one of the other resorts!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: