Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

Renting DVC points

Can anyone explain how this works? I'm considering this option for our next trip, which I don't have a date for. Hoping for next Mardi Gras (February). I'm thinking my biggest hurdle will be that I can't book/pay 11 months out. So are there any resorts that I might be able to get 6 months out?
Any tips appreciated!

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
bbak3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbak3030 View Post
Can anyone explain how this works? I'm considering this option for our next trip, which I don't have a date for. Hoping for next Mardi Gras (February). I'm thinking my biggest hurdle will be that I can't book/pay 11 months out. So are there any resorts that I might be able to get 6 months out?
Any tips appreciated!
Here's how renting DVC points works:

You go through a broker (like David's Vacation Club Rentals) or a DVC member directly (like here on the DISboards: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29).

You pay them, they book the resort for you. Some require full payment up front, others half now and half later on, etc. Payment is a dollar amount per point, usually $12 to $14 per point.

Booking 11 months out is, of course, ideal, because it allows DVC members with specific home resorts to get you a room. For example: If I was a DVC member and my home resort was Boardwalk, I could book for you 11 months out.

Though you can book at any time up until 11 months out, the next best time to book is seven months out, when every resort opens up for every DVC member. For example: If I was a DVC member and my home resort was Boardwalk, but you wanted Animal Kingdom, I could book it for you seven months out.

Of course, the closer you get to your desired dates the harder it is to secure a rental.

Hope that helps!
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
disneyjunebug
Three greatest guys in the world: Bill Nye, Mickey Mouse and my hubby!

We have done this for the first time for our vacation next month. I picked where I wanted to stay, what level room and put in my top choices. I got my fourth choice (AKV). I didn't book until January, so that is less than 3 months from when we are going, so I think I was lucky. If you want one of the more popular places (BLT, BC/YC, etc.) you will probably have to book at the 7 month mark. The price is wonderful, less than what it cost for us to stay at a moderate for 4 nights when we are staying 6 this time!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

You shouold be able to get SSR, some level at AKV- more like Kidani, and probably OKW. Depending on how many nights you may have some other options at 6 months especially if you are up for a split stay.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
bbak3030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: