Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
kasowell
Earning My Ears

Sorry to bother...

I'm trying to decide if CBR is worth $35 more per night than All Stars Music. We will be arriving late Friday and checking out early Sunday. Is it worth it if all we are really doing is using the room to sleep?
kasowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
masylimed
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at CBR. However, we've stayed at All Stars and Pop Century before we began staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Although I love all Disney hotels and would be happy just being anywhere on property, I think it's worth it for the amenities that a moderate resort has to offer. I think the overall ambiance is so much nicer. The pools seem nicer (if you have kids) and having the towel service by the pool is a definite plus. To me, once we stayed in a moderate resort, the value level - although very nice - felt more "hotel" like than resort.

We are going on our first Disney cruise in May and staying on property the night before just to have some Disney time (no parks). We thought about staying at the Art of Animation, but the family (kids 12, 15, and 18) loved POR and wanted to go back there. I guess we should never stay at a deluxe hotel because it might be hard to go back to a moderate level!

Have fun on your vacation.
masylimed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

If all you're doing there is sleeping, then no it's not really worth it. I find the value in being at the resort. Walking around, having a TS restaurant, and a nicer pool. The atmosphere is more calming outside, but once you're in the room, it's a hotel room. The rooms are a little bigger, so if you need the space, that's one thing, but if you're comfortable IN a value room, nah.... Save your $.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If all you are doing is using the room to sleep, no. If you are going to hang out at the resort at all, then yes. All you are gaining by choosing CBR over ASMu is a sit down restaurant. The beds are the same size.

I've stayed at both, and to me, CBR has a couple of negatives when compared to ASMu--the number of bus stops, and the food court. CBR has 7 bus stops, which means it takes a bit of time to make all of the stops before heading out to the parks. I also didn't care for the food court at CBR at all. I didn't find much variety, while I really like the food court at ASMu.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

Yes.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the value resorts, in fact, we stayed there one night last year before we went to AKV and it was quite nice. The kids really enjoyed the pool and played some of the games-the kids won at Disney trivia by the pool-and they got pizza from the food court.
But, if you can afford to the extra $$ to stay at a moderate, then do it.
We stayed at ASMo our first trip. Our second trip, we stayed at CBR. (keep in mind that this was in 2003 and 2006 respectively) When we stayed at ASMo we had to stand in line for the bus to get to the parks in the morning. I know that others will say you have to stand in line anywhere, but when we went to CBR, we found out how much shorter the lines really were. At ASMo there is only one bus stop (or at least, used to be) where there are several at CBR. The bus stop at ASMo was not shaded in the least and we were dripping with sweat before we got on the bus at 9am. Each bus stop at CBR is covered and has benches for people to sit. There were very few times that there wasn't someplace to sit while waiting. The bus stops at CBR are also closer to your rooms in general. There are several bus stops around the resort that will drop you close to your destination. (The bus goes in a loop at CBR, so you will make several stops before you head out to the park, but hey, your on the bus.)
The food court at CBR seemed to be less crowded and more organized than at ASMo. (I have stayed at POR as well and their food court was awesome) CBR also has a table service restaurant as well. We ate there many years ago in 2006 but did not when we went back in 2012.
The pool at CBR has a slide and the pool was actually redone not too incredibly long ago. It has a section for smaller kids to play in as well. The pools at a moderate also have a slide. There are also several "quiet" pools in each of the sections, closer to your room. There is usually only the one pool at the values, with some exceptions (ASMo has a smaller pool in the Mighty Ducks section) and the pools do not have a slide.
The moderates are quieter than the values. I am sure that has to do with the number of guests that are in the resort and how close the rooms are to the main walkways. If you look at the maps, the values room doors are usually right on the walkway. At the moderates, the walkway is usually down from that.
The theme of the resort is also a big deal for our family. Where as the big characters are nice, I enjoy the more relaxed theme of the beach or southern theme of POR. It just seems like more of a resort to me instead of a motel.
You are doing such a short trip, it may not be worth it for you this time. We are going next year and planning on spending a couple of days at CBR before we move to AKV. We still love CBR and try to go back every so often because we miss it.
Of course, this is all my opinion. That's all any of these questions are. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is most important to them.
Hope you have a great vacation.

May 30/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWLSept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at several deluxe resorts, all moderates except for POFQ, and one value (All Star Sports). I think, in your case, based on your wants, I'd book a value resort. I make this recommendation with one reservation: if your stay is 4 or more months away. That's because CBR rooms are scheduled for complete refurbishment. You would have a good shot at getting a brand newly refurbished room over there which would include queen beds. I think the time you would be in the rooms, you would appreciate it. We stayed in CSR newly refurbished rooms a few years back and I can say there is somthing to be said about it.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
CdnKayDee
Kim & Danelle

We may have to throw in a night like this on our vacation. Arrive really late and leave 1 or 2 days later. Value was our first thought but if CBR was 35 dollars more I would do it but I would want to have specific CBR plans otherwise I would just stay at the value.
My instant ask answer is value for 1 or 2 days.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
clapton
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at deluxe, moderate and value. We would definitely choose a moderate over value anytime! We found the beds at the values to be very uncomfortable! It's definitely worth the extra money to stay at a moderate resort in my opinion.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasowell View Post
I'm trying to decide if CBR is worth $35 more per night than All Stars Music. We will be arriving late Friday and checking out early Sunday. Is it worth it if all we are really doing is using the room to sleep?
My choice would be CBR. We've never stayed at a value, but the extra cost would definitely be worth it for us.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: