Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #61
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Except that you were unable to prove your point. You chose the most expensive moderate room category on a weekend night. Then you admitted that you would buy your kids treats but you would get your coffee Club Level.

I don't get why you wanted to argue about this in the first place if you've never stayed in a value or moderate resort?
My point is valid. PP said that "free dining" is "always" better than a discount. That.Is.Not.True. as shown by my example.

And I did NOT chose the most expensive moderate room category. If I wanted to do that I would have chosen Caribbean Beach Pirate Water View for ($291.38) or any of the Coronado suites for much more than that, or the Cabins at For Wilderness for $347.63.

If we want to use the room I chose (POR River view) on a weekday night then fine. It is $249.75. But that is assuming that people don't ever travel over weekends, which is a very weak assumption indeed.

And the reason I want to argue about it? Well...mainly because I think free dining lowers the dining experience for everyone (no mention of "class differential" at all...you guys are the ones inserting that argument into the debate, not me), and I really wish Disney would offer a different discount in the fall instead.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #62
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
And the reason I want to argue about it? Well...mainly because I think free dining lowers the dining experience for everyone (no mention of "class differential" at all...you guys are the ones inserting that argument into the debate, not me), and I really wish Disney would offer a different discount in the fall instead.
Well I have been to Disney with and without free dining. How exactly do you think it lowers the dining experience for everyone?
Disneylover99 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #63
mickey2000
Pin trader
 
mickey2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,508



__________________
TIME SPENT WITH DISNEY ( Totals 386 days 353 nts)
][[
]]
mickey2000 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #64
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post


You are right.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #65
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Well I have been to Disney with and without free dining. How exactly do you think it lowers the dining experience for everyone?
Much more crowded restaurants, much less ADR availability, food quality is more poorly executed (due to preceding two statements), much more rushed dining experience (again due to first two statements), and much more overworked/overwhelmed waitstaff (again...see preceding). Have you ever talked to the waitstaff during free dining and asked for their honest opinions on the program? We have. It's enlightening.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #66
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
You are right.
Then why do you keep asking me questions?
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #67
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Much more crowded restaurants, much less ADR availability, food quality is more poorly executed (due to preceding two statements), much more rushed dining experience (again due to first two statements), and much more overworked/overwhelmed waitstaff (again...see preceding). Have you ever talked to the waitstaff during free dining and asked for their honest opinions on the program? We have. It's enlightening.
We have seen crowds and felt rushed with and without free dining promotions going on. As for food quality, we've always had excellent meals.

When we are on the dining plan, at a TS meal we order drinks, expensive entrees and dessert. We tip 20% according to our total food and drink order. The waitstaff make more in tips off of us when we are on the dining plan then off because of our total bill.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #68
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Then why do you keep asking me questions?
Because I am trying to understand why you hate free dining so much.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #69
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
We have seen crowds and felt rushed with and without free dining promotions going on. As for food quality, we've always had excellent meals.

When we are on the dining plan, at a TS meal we order drinks, expensive entrees and dessert. We tip 20% according to our total food and drink order. The waitstaff make more in tips off of us when we are on the dining plan then off because of our total bill.
ZOMG. Again with the broad generalizations.

Whether we are on the dining plan or not (and admittedly sometimes we have been...I've done the math on CL stays...sometimes it makes more sense for us to use the free dining option over the insignificant CL discount option...but I STILL think it would be better if free dining went away overall) we order drinks (read expensive bottles of wine and/or mixed drinks), appetizers, entrees, and desserts and tip anywhere form 20-30% on the total.

You think the staff makes *more* off of you than me because you are on the dining plan? Hahahahaha.

Again...I ask. Have you ever talked to the waitstaff and asked for their honest opinion on free dining? If not, I urge you to do so.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #70
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Because I am trying to understand why you hate free dining so much.
See post #67. I am not sure why this is so hard for you to understand.

And no. It does not have anything to do with the fact that I am "selfish" or "snobby." I truly think it would be better for EVERYONE if "free" dining went away and Disney offered different discounts instead. I truly mean that.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #71
mom2cinderella
Shut up baby, I know it.
 
mom2cinderella's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Buckeyeville, OH
Posts: 1,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Have you ever talked to the waitstaff during free dining and asked for their honest opinions on the program? We have. It's enlightening.
No. I'd rather spend my vacation time chatting with my family.

I would think that people who rely on tips would be happy that Disney is trying to encourage people to eat on site during slower periods, but what do I know. I'm just a mouth breathing hillbilly hoping for free dining.
__________________
Michele
family trips, etc :
dh: CSR 4/03 WL 8/04 Poly 10/04 CR 5/05 Dolph 3/06 ASMo 1/07 CR 12/08WL 3/11ASMo 3/12 ASSp 3/13
GF 9/14
me: CSR 4/03 Poly 10/04 ASMo 1/07 CR 12/08 CBR 9/10
GF 9/14
Z: CSR 4/03 WL 8/04 Poly 10/04 CR 5/05 ASMo 1/07 CR 12/08WL 3/11
GF 9/14
E1: CSR 4/03 Poly 10/04 CR 5/05 ASMo 1/07 CR 12/08WL 3/11ASMo 3/12 ASSp 3/13
GF 9/14
E2: ASMo 1/07 CR 12/08 CBR 9/10ASSp 3/13
GF 9/14
mom2cinderella is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #72
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
ZOMG. Again with the broad generalizations.

Whether we are on the dining plan or not (and admittedly sometimes we have been...I've done the math on CL stays...sometimes it makes more sense for us to use the free dining option over the insignificant CL discount option...but I STILL think it would be better if free dining went away overall) we order drinks (read expensive bottles of wine and/or mixed drinks), appetizers, entrees, and desserts and tip anywhere form 20-30% on the total.

You think the staff makes *more* off of you than me because you are on the dining plan? Hahahahaha.

Again...I ask. Have you ever talked to the waitstaff and asked for their honest opinion on free dining? If not, I urge you to do so.
Honestly? It's these types of elitist comments that you have made throughout this thread that leads me to believe that you don't like free dining because you feel superior to others.

You don't think it's rude to laugh at me because you order expensive bottles of wine and tip 30% so therefore the waitstaff make more off of you???

My point was that without the dining plan we may just share an entree or two and order an appetizer so the tip would be less.

It may be better for you if free dining went away, but it certainly would not be better for everyone.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #73
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cinderella View Post

I would think that people who rely on tips would be happy that Disney is trying to encourage people to eat on site during slower periods, but what do I know. I'm just a mouth breathing hillbilly hoping for free dining.
What is a "mouth breathing hillbilly?" I'm confused. Because I have lots of lovable family members who are "hillbillies" (hello...I'm from Indiana, lol) but I have never heard that term.

OK. Here's the deal. After explaining this thread to my husband, he just told me that I "sound like a snob" and that I should stop arguing. He is a jerk.

Seriously though, I am not a snob. I promise!! I like deals and discounts as much as the next guy. For Pete's sake...I am the gal in Target taking advantage of the Cartwheel, plus Target mobile coupon, plus manufacturer coupons, plus store coupons...holding up everyone else in line so that I can get the best "deal."

But I truly, honestly don't think "free" dining is doing ANYONE any favors.

This is what I am saying (although apparently I am not doing a good job...I blame the mimosas). I simply think that free dining is not a real benefit to anyone. I think that people would be much better served by a good room discount across the board. That way, people have extra money to spend *wherever* they want...not just on dining options. If a family wouldn't normally use "fancy" dining options...what real benefit is "free dining" to them? Wouldn't it be better for that family to dine as they usually do and save that money for souvenirs or simply other things that they would rather buy at home?

All it does is "force" people to dining options that they may not have otherwise chosen and overcrowd and overwhelm TS restaurants.


I'm sorry. I just don't "get" free dining. But I vehemently disagree that that makes me a snob.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)

Last edited by Mommy2Corinne; 03-08-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: changed "mouth breeding" to "mouth breathing" but I'm still confused, lol
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #74
tazadd0420
Fairy Dust is Dangerous
 
tazadd0420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 149

Love free dining need to keep it and add more weeks if possible. We have used on every trip. It is why we pick the weeks we go.
__________________
Me Wife : DD(18) DSIL (21) DD (11)
Offsite 94 (Before Kids ); 01' Offsite (First DD); 07 All Star Resort (DD1 and DD2); 08' Pop Century; 11' POFQ
Disney's nice for the Gluten Free.
tazadd0420 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #75
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post

I'm sorry. I just don't "get" free dining. But I vehemently disagree that that makes me a snob.
Not "getting" free dining doesn't make you a snob, but that is certainly how you've come across to me and some others in a few of your posts.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.