Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #46
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post

But you didn't really answer. You wouldn't buy a coffee, milk, juice?
You wouldn't buy your kids a Mickey bar or icecream cone?
Not one treat?

I mean if you say no to everything extra then kudos to you, because this is the kind of thing that adds up.
I would not ever buy a coffee (because I can get that in the room or in the CL lounge for free ), and I would not buy a soda or a juice because that is unhealthy and not something we would normally do, no matter what the circumstance. Yuck.

As for milk, my kids drink one glass of organic milk per day. If I was tight on money (which I'm not thank goodness) I would probably buy a quart at the resort CS location for the morning and have my kids drink water throughout the rest of the day.

As for snacks, I do buy my kids the occasional Disney snack, but if I didn't have the money, I wouldn't do that. Period.

I don't have any credit card debt, nor do I think taking out debt for the purpose of a Disney vacation is a good thing, so I am probably unlike a lot of Disney guests.

I hope that answers your questions.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #47
tink&her2boys
Mouseketeer
 
tink&her2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Got it. I'm not selfish. I'm a snob. Thanks.

And I still wish free dining would go away.
Nope you got it wrong...a little selfish AND snobish! It's all good...I'm sure we've all crunched the numbers and know what we wish or have to have happen in order to go to Disney. For a lot of us, free dining is why we CAN go to Disney

To the OP...I'm still holding out hope FD will be released the latter half of this month! It's been announced in March and May previously...but I just have a feeling it'll be this month! Keeping fingers crossed!
__________________
DH ME DS DS
tink&her2boys is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #48
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink&her2boys View Post

Nope you got it wrong...a little selfish AND snobish! It's all good...I'm sure we've all crunched the numbers and know what we wish or have to have happen in order to go to Disney. For a lot of us, free dining is why we CAN go to Disney
Oh! Cool!

And here I thought calling people names on the Disboards was against the rules.

Silly me.

I'm a selfish snob because I don't like free dining. Got it.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #49
ReneeA
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: St.ClairShores, MI
Posts: 3,481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne

OK. Let's do the math. (I'm not sure why I am continuing to argue the point other than that I am an attorney who has had a few mimosas for brunch .)

Right now, one night at POR river view during Sept value season is $274.50 (incl tax). A 30% discount would get you a savings of $82.35.

Assume a family of four brings cereal bars, bread, peanut butter with them to eat in the room for breakfast. Assume that they are willing to drink water (in refillable bottles which is a good healthy option) throughout the day. Assume that they are at MK. They can grab nice, filling counter service meals for lunch and dinner at MK for $61.82 total per day incl tax (an adult taco salad, an adult cheeseburger meal, a kids hamburger meal and a kids turkey sandwich for lunch at Pecos Bills PLUS two adult battered fish baskets and one kids macaroni meal and one kids chicken nuggets meal at Columbia Harbor House for dinner.) That's a savings of $20.53 per day (assuming a 30% discount on a mod) over free dining. Over seven days, that's a savings of $143.72.

Now, obviously, the math changes per meal per day, but the ultimate savings is real.

Take a family of 4 staying at a deluxe (eating apps over desserts and throwing in a few signature meals) and the savings increases exponentially.
Your math is wrong. A Riverview room at POR in value season is $175 a night, not $275. That is only a $52 savings with a 30% code. I cannot feed my family of 4 with that amt of money.
__________________
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #50
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
I would not ever buy a coffee (because I can get that in the room or in the CL lounge for free ), and I would not buy a soda or a juice because that is unhealthy and not something we would normally do, no matter what the circumstance. Yuck.

As for milk, my kids drink one glass of organic milk per day. If I was tight on money (which I'm not thank goodness) I would probably buy a quart at the resort CS location for the morning and have my kids drink water throughout the rest of the day.

As for snacks, I do buy my kids the occasional Disney snack, but if I didn't have the money, I wouldn't do that. Period.

I don't have any credit card debt, nor do I think taking out debt for the purpose of a Disney vacation is a good thing, so I am probably unlike a lot of Disney guests.

I hope that answers your questions.
__________________


BigAlsGal is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #51
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
I would not ever buy a coffee (because I can get that in the room or in the CL lounge for free ), and I would not buy a soda or a juice because that is unhealthy and not something we would normally do, no matter what the circumstance. Yuck.

As for milk, my kids drink one glass of organic milk per day. If I was tight on money (which I'm not thank goodness) I would probably buy a quart at the resort CS location for the morning and have my kids drink water throughout the rest of the day.

As for snacks, I do buy my kids the occasional Disney snack, but if I didn't have the money, I wouldn't do that. Period.

I don't have any credit card debt, nor do I think taking out debt for the purpose of a Disney vacation is a good thing, so I am probably unlike a lot of Disney guests.

I hope that answers your questions.
Wow! I thought we were just discussing the best deal.

It sounds like you are assuming that anyone who takes advantage of the free dining offer can't afford to go to Disney and probably shouldn't go to Disney. I think you've made a pretty inaccurate assumption.
Disneylover99 is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #52
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeA View Post

Your math is wrong. A Riverview room at POR in value season is $175 a night, not $275. That is only a $52 savings with a 30% code. I cannot feed my family of 4 with that amt of money.
My math is absolutely not wrong.

A POR river view room right now on the Disney website for 9/5 (I happened to pick that date because that's when we are arriving at VGF) is $274.50 (incl tax). I am not sure where you are getting your numbers.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #53
tink&her2boys
Mouseketeer
 
tink&her2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Oh! Cool!

And here I thought calling people names on the Disboards was against the rules.

Silly me.

I'm a selfish snob because I don't like free dining. Got it.
Again...it's not the fact you don't like it...it's the fact that you want free dining to go away. Period. You don't want to have to deal with "us" who do go using free dining...it just makes YOU not have as much of an enjoyable time..."we" are in your way.

I have a feeling you'll never "get" it so I'll stop commenting on this thread
__________________
DH ME DS DS
tink&her2boys is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #54
tink&her2boys
Mouseketeer
 
tink&her2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Wow! I thought we were just discussing the best deal.

It sounds like you are assuming that anyone who takes advantage of the free dining offer can't afford to go to Disney and probably shouldn't go to Disney. I think you've made a pretty inaccurate assumption.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! (oops I DID post again!)
__________________
DH ME DS DS
tink&her2boys is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #55
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post

Wow! I thought we were just discussing the best deal.

It sounds like you are assuming that anyone who takes advantage of the free dining offer can't afford to go to Disney and probably shouldn't go to Disney. I think you've made a pretty inaccurate assumption.
Oh good grief! I never said that. You said that free dining is "always" a better deal than a discount. I was simply showing actual math/numbers that that is NOT always the case.

The rest if it was in direct response to your question of whether or not I would purchase certain things if I were not on the "free" dining plan.

Give me a break.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #56
texasroni75
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 447

Just because one takes advantage of FD doesn't mean they "wouldn't normally be able to afford" a TS meal! It's like saying a supermarket shouldn't let people use coupons, because too many people are using them, which makes the grocery store "too crowded" - and those who can afford to pay full price for their groceries can't find a parking spot. Wah wah wah!

You hardly endear yourself when you imply you deserve something more than someone else based on how much you can afford and you feel they can't. Period. With all that $$ you have, you could likely afford a book on manners! Pay full price for it, even if it's on sale - because you CAN AFFORD IT! LMAO
__________________
Joanie - Mom of Four Awesome Kids

DD(19) - DD(13) - DS(10) - DS(3)

Planning Trip 9 to WDW!!


All-Star Movies - Jan 1999, Coronado Springs - Feb 2001, All-Star Sports - March 2002, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2005, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2009, Port Orleans Riverside - December 2009, All-Star Movies - September 2013, All-Star Music - September 2014
texasroni75 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #57
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran
 
mom2AidanAndEli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 1,523

Well, count me in with the lower class who LOVES free dining! No, I probably wouldn't eat as many TS meals without it, but with it I get to do just what I want.

But on one hand, I'm told that I'm being taken. That FD isn't free. That I'm a sucker for buying into it and it's not a great discount at all. You're telling me I could do better with a room only discount. Sooooo......does that mean I'm spending more than I should and I'm actually MORE entitled to those TS meals than you????


And your math is wrong, because the room only discount wouldn't be on the tax included amount.....just sayin'.
__________________


POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-2014, POFQ-August 2015!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #58
tink&her2boys
Mouseketeer
 
tink&her2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroni75 View Post
Just because one takes advantage of FD doesn't mean they "wouldn't normally be able to afford" a TS meal! It's like saying a supermarket shouldn't let people use coupons, because too many people are using them, which makes the grocery store "too crowded" - and those who can afford to pay full price for their groceries can't find a parking spot. Wah wah wah!

You hardly endear yourself when you imply you deserve something more than someone else based on how much you can afford and you feel they can't. Period. With all that $$ you have, you could likely afford a book on manners! Pay full price for it, even if it's on sale - because you CAN AFFORD IT! LMAO
...and THANK YOU!
__________________
DH ME DS DS
tink&her2boys is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #59
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Oh good grief! I never said that. You said that free dining is "always" a better deal than a discount. I was simply showing actual math/numbers that that is NOT always the case.
.
Except that you were unable to prove your point. You chose the most expensive moderate room category on a weekend night. Then you admitted that you would buy your kids treats but you would get your coffee Club Level.

I don't get why you wanted to argue about this in the first place if you've never stayed in a value or moderate resort?
Disneylover99 is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #60
ReneeA
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: St.ClairShores, MI
Posts: 3,481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne

My math is absolutely not wrong.

A POR river view room right now on the Disney website for 9/5 (I happened to pick that date because that's when we are arriving at VGF) is $274.50 (incl tax). I am not sure where you are getting your numbers.
I just priced a garden view for 8/28-29 (when we will be there) and it's $184. 30% of that is $55. That is from Disney's website, and no...my kids wouldn't be happy with pbj sandwiches, and just water to drink...especially when they could have gotten the DDP.
__________________
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.