Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
lazer
DIS Veteran
 
lazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 586

[QUOTE="Mommy2Corinne;50899299"] I know. Which is obviously one of the reasons I personally don't like free dining, lol. Selfish of me? Maybe. But on the flip side, I think it's a bit selfish for people who normally can't or don't want to pay to eat at a TS restaurant to overcrowd, use up all the ADRs, and make the overall dining experience less pleasant for those people who *are* willing to pay. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what I think. Because you're right...it lures crowds in. Plenty of people "think" free dining is a good deal, so Disney will continue to offer it (as it doesn't cost them much to do
lazer is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
The size of the family is certainly impactful. We are three, not four. We drink mostly water at lunch and wine (for the adults) at dinner. So whatever built in cost there is for desserts and soft drinks is largely lost on us. I've done the math. Many times. We cannot make it work. But a 30% discount on a room? Sign me up!
I mentioned that fd is a great deal for a family of 4 in a value or moderate. Clearly a room discount may be better for you because you are a family of 3.
Disneylover99 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #33
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Well, this is the way I look at it.

25% at a value during value season when fd is typically offered is $25 off a room per day. I cannot feed my family of four at Disney for $25. So fd = good deal.

30% off a moderate during value season when fd is typically offered is $60 off a room per day. One character meal will typically cost about $100 or more for a family of 4. So fd = good deal.

I agree with your husband that just because something is on sale, it isn't a good deal, but in this case it is. And everybody has to eat right?
You're assuming that family of 4 would normally dine at a character meal. Lots of people don't like character meals.

Yes, everyone has to eat, but not everyone eats like you (that probably sounds a lot ruder than I intend it to).

What I mean is, if that family of 4 would normally be content with eating breakfast in their room (cereal bars, peanut butter, etc.) and grabbing simple CS lunches and dinners (i.e. water to drink and no desserts), then the 30% discount or 40% PIN *would* be a better deal for them. They are absolutely saving money by taking the discount over the "free" dining. And if people eat like JimmyV mentioned above (as we do) then it doesn't work for them either.

Free dining apparently works best for your family, but it doesn't for everyone.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #34
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfantotheend View Post
I will stay out of the whole I am good enough to eat at TS restaurants, but you aren't because you are on the dining plan argument.
.
Haha! That pretty much sums it up.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #35
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
You're assuming that family of 4 would normally dine at a character meal. Lots of people don't like character meals.

Yes, everyone has to eat, but not everyone eats like you (that probably sounds a lot ruder than I intend it to).

What I mean is, if that family of 4 would normally be content with eating breakfast in their room (cereal bars, peanut butter, etc.) and grabbing simple CS lunches and dinners (i.e. water to drink and no desserts), then the 30% discount or 40% PIN *would* be a better deal for them. They are absolutely saving money by taking the discount over the "free" dining. And if people eat like JimmyV mentioned above (as we do) then it doesn't work for them either.

Free dining apparently works best for your family, but it doesn't for everyone.
Unless you get a pin or are able to book an awesome bb, I just don't see any discounts beyond 30% for moderates being released to the general public. So your resort savings at a moderate will be about $60.

Grabbing simple CS meals for lunch and dinner for four people will generally cost you more then $60 per day, making fd worth it every single time even if you never order dessert, never buy a drink, never purchase a snack and never use your resort mug.

It doesn't really matter about your eating habits and you don't have to go to character meals or order the most expensive items off the menu to make it a better value then a 30% off room deal.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #36
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfantotheend View Post
There is a board for these questions. It is the discounts board, located here http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

I will stay out of the whole I am good enough to eat at TS restaurants, but you aren't because you are on the dining plan argument.

ETA: Oops! Posted the wrong link. It is corrected now.
I never said anyone wasn't "good enough" to eat at a TS restaurant because they were on the dining plan. I just happen to think that "free" dining is a bad thing. So whatever.

I agree that this is on the wrong board (although I think that it should be on the dining board rather than the discounts board), but I'm not the one who started the thread.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #37
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
I agree that this is on the wrong board (although I think that it should be on the dining board rather than the discounts board), but I'm not the one who started the thread.
It should be on the "Disney Discount Codes and Rates" board as "free dining" is a discount code. I requested it be moved but don't know it that will happen as this board is so active.
Stinky_Pete is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #38
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Unless you get a pin or are able to book an awesome bb, I just don't see any discounts beyond 30% for moderates being released to the general public. So your resort savings at a moderate will be about $60.

Grabbing simple CS meals for lunch and dinner for four people will generally cost you more then $60 per day, making fd worth it every single time even if you never order dessert, never buy a drink, never purchase a snack and never use your resort mug.

It doesn't really matter about your eating habits and you don't have to go to character meals or order the most expensive items off the menu to make it a better value then a 30% off room deal.
OK. Let's do the math. (I'm not sure why I am continuing to argue the point other than that I am an attorney who has had a few mimosas for brunch .)

Right now, one night at POR river view during Sept value season is $274.50 (incl tax). A 30% discount would get you a savings of $82.35.

Assume a family of four brings cereal bars, bread, peanut butter with them to eat in the room for breakfast. Assume that they are willing to drink water (in refillable bottles which is a good healthy option) throughout the day. Assume that they are at MK. They can grab nice, filling counter service meals for lunch and dinner at MK for $61.82 total per day incl tax (an adult taco salad, an adult cheeseburger meal, a kids hamburger meal and a kids turkey sandwich for lunch at Pecos Bills PLUS two adult battered fish baskets and one kids macaroni meal and one kids chicken nuggets meal at Columbia Harbor House for dinner.) That's a savings of $20.53 per day (assuming a 30% discount on a mod) over free dining. Over seven days, that's a savings of $143.72.

Now, obviously, the math changes per meal per day, but the ultimate savings is real.

Take a family of 4 staying at a deluxe (eating apps over desserts and throwing in a few signature meals) and the savings increases exponentially.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #39
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
OK. Let's do the math. (I'm not sure why I am continuing to argue the point other than that I am an attorney who has had a few mimosas for brunch .)

Right now, one night at POR river view during Sept value season is $274.50 (incl tax). A 30% discount would get you a savings of $82.35.

Assume a family of four brings cereal bars, bread, peanut butter with them to eat in the room for breakfast. Assume that they are willing to drink water (in refillable bottles which is a good healthy option) throughout the day. Assume that they are at MK. They can grab nice, filling counter service meals for lunch and dinner at MK for $61.82 total per day incl tax (an adult taco salad, an adult cheeseburger meal, a kids hamburger meal and a kids turkey sandwich for lunch at Pecos Bills PLUS two adult battered fish baskets and one kids macaroni meal and one kids chicken nuggets meal at Columbia Harbor House for dinner.) That's a savings of $20.53 per day (assuming a 30% discount on a mod) over free dining. Over seven days, that's a savings of $143.72.

Now, obviously, the math changes per meal per day, but the ultimate savings is real.

Take a family of 4 staying at a deluxe (eating apps over desserts and throwing in a few signature meals) and the savings increases exponentially.
Well, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to stay at a moderate and choose counter service over table service and you have based it on one of the most expensive room categories, but okay, say that is what you really want to book.....

Are you really never going to order a coffee/milk/soft drink/juice at all?

Are you really never going to treat your family to a snack or dessert?

Plus we always get a milk with our meals and get a fruit bowl/yogurt/muffin when at the Food court as a dessert so we can eat them the next morning at breakfast. That equals additional savings.

I don't see the $21 savings at all.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #40
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post

Well, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to stay at a moderate and choose counter service over table service and you have based it on one of the most expensive room categories, but okay, say that is what you really want to book.....

Are you really never going to order a coffee/milk/soft drink/juice at all?

Are you really never going to treat your family to a snack or dessert?

Plus we always get a milk with our meals and get a fruit bowl/yogurt/muffin when at the Food court as a dessert so we can eat them the next morning at breakfast. That equals additional savings.

I don't see the $21 savings at all.
Of course if you are going to do "free dining" it makes more sense to book TS meals over CS meals. That's not the point. The point is that you are not "saving" if you are buying things that you normally wouldn't have bought anyway.

And no. We wouldn't purchase soda over water. We don't drink soda at home (it's gross and unhealthy)...what would we do it at Disney???

And the example is just that...an example. We, for example, always stay at deluxe resorts and don't order TS meals in accordance with the dining plan regulations, so we would gain a *much* greater savings using a discount over the dining plan...no matter how you do the math.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #41
tink&her2boys
Mouseketeer
 
tink&her2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
You're right. My beef (no pun intended) is mainly with Disney for offering "free" dining in the first place.

The "selfish" comment was in response to the PP who called me selfish for not liking free dining, lol.
No I didn't say you were selfish for not LIKING free dining, I think it's selfish of you to wish it would go away. For those staying Value, with a family, and most of the time a Moderate, it IS cheaper for us to go with free dining. MOST of us can't afford or don't want to afford a Deluxe resort just to basically sleep and shower in to make a PIN work better for us than free dining. In the long run it's more money out of pocket. My comment about not eating much does not mean we don't like Character meals, and TS meal. If I was going to purchase a CS or TS meal out of pocket, no I wouldn't order a dessert every single time, if ever. We go to Disney for the atmosphere and food of the TS restaurants as well as the parks. It comes across kinda snobish...if you can't or don't want to pay for it then you aren't entitled to it. And yes we are all entitled to our opinions
__________________
DH ME DS DS
tink&her2boys is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #42
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink&her2boys View Post

No I didn't say you were selfish for not LIKING free dining, I think it's selfish of you to wish it would go away. For those staying Value, with a family, and most of the time a Moderate, it IS cheaper for us to go with free dining. MOST of us can't afford or don't want to afford a Deluxe resort just to basically sleep and shower in to make a PIN work better for us than free dining. In the long run it's more money out of pocket. My comment about not eating much does not mean we don't like Character meals, and TS meal. If I was going to purchase a CS or TS meal out of pocket, no I wouldn't order a dessert every single time, if ever. We go to Disney for the atmosphere and food of the TS restaurants as well as the parks. It comes across kinda snobish...if you can't or don't want to pay for it then you aren't entitled to it. And yes we are all entitled to our opinions
Got it. I'm not selfish. I'm a snob. Thanks.

And I still wish free dining would go away.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #43
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post

And no. We wouldn't purchase soda over water. We don't drink soda at home (it's gross and unhealthy)...what would we do it at Disney???
.
But you didn't really answer. You wouldn't buy a coffee, milk, juice?
You wouldn't buy your kids a Mickey bar or icecream cone?
Not one treat?

I mean if you say no to everything extra then kudos to you, because this is the kind of thing that adds up.
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #44
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post

And the example is just that...an example. We, for example, always stay at deluxe resorts and don't order TS meals in accordance with the dining plan regulations, so we would gain a *much* greater savings using a discount over the dining plan...no matter how you do the math.
Well of course you wouldn't gain savings if you always stay in Deluxe. I thought we were discussing Values and Moderates?
Disneylover99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 8,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Got it. I'm not selfish. I'm a snob. Thanks.

And I still wish free dining would go away.
FWIW it did come across as kind of snobbish.

It would be like me saying, I hope they don't give a good discount for the Deluxes this year because too many people will book it who normally wouldn't, and then the place would be crowded and maid service would be rushed and not up to par.

It sounds kind of elitist. Don't you think?
Disneylover99 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.