Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post

It's an excellent deal for families of four.
It totally depends on the particular family and the type of resort they are staying at. I definitely don't think that's true in all cases.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)

Last edited by Mommy2Corinne; 03-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
It totally depends on the particular family and the type of resort they are staying at. I definitely don't think that's true in all cases.
Values and moderates for sure. Deluxe, maybe.....it depends on what kind of room discount you can get.
Disneylover99 is online now  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Dan Murphy
We are family.
 
Dan Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 78,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Ugh. I hate free dining. I really wish they would cancel this promotion. We go in Sept often, and the restaurants are packed with people who normally wouldn't be at a TS restaurant at all, which leads to rushed dining experiences for everyone, mediocre food, and crabby and overwhelmed waitstaff.

There has got to be a better promo they can offer that would get guests to visit in the fall (not that I personally want more people there, lol).
I agree. The "free" dining promotions have severely dumbed down the overall dining experiences at WDW and greatly increased their OOP costs, so as to make the "free" dining appear better than it actually is. Hope they go back to no "free" dining at some point.
__________________
Dan-'Let's Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand'--We are Family

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net







.
Dan Murphy is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
DLM1980
Supreme Fraggle Extrodinaire!
 
DLM1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 161

My bounceback offer last October was for free dining between the end of August - September 29th so if I had to bet, it will be around the same time
DLM1980 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Values and moderates for sure. Deluxe, maybe.....it depends on what kind of room discount you can get.
Respectfully, I still think this statement is too broad. I've crunched the numbers various ways. A good PIN/discount offer is often a better option. It depends on the type of family and where/how much they would normally eat. (This is especially true since they changed the free dining option to CS for people staying at values.)

As my husband always tells me, just because something's on sale, it isn't always a good deal...especially if you weren't planning on buying it anyway.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Values and moderates for sure.
It has far more to do with what you eat than where you stay. Our style of eating
  • Breakfast in the room comprised of groceries from Publix,
  • CS for lunch with no desserts,
  • TS for dinner with about half being Signatures (both Dining Plan eligible and ineligible) with appetizers always ordered and desserts rarely ordered,
makes it all but impossible for us to get any benefit out of Free Dining as opposed to a room discount. We would have to change our dining pattern far more than comfort allows to reap the benefit. I'm not going to trade dinners at bluezoo and Il Mulino for dinners at Fulton's and Tutto Italia just so that they can be squeezed into the dining plan.
JimmyV is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 47,115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
I know. Which is obviously one of the reasons I personally don't like free dining, lol.

Selfish of me? Maybe. But on the flip side, I think it's a bit selfish for people who normally can't or don't want to pay to eat at a TS restaurant to overcrowd, use up all the ADRs, and make the overall dining experience less pleasant for those people who *are* willing to pay.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what I think. Because you're right...it lures crowds in. Plenty of people "think" free dining is a good deal, so Disney will continue to offer it (as it doesn't cost them much to do so).
Selfish to use a Disney promotion offered? I think your beef is with Disney, not the people who use the free dining plan.

It can be a good deal. If you stay in a value or moderate room with 2 adults and 2 children 10 to 17, it's a great deal. What the dining plan would have cost for 4 is more than the room rate. For only 2 people or in a deluxe, not as good of a deal, a room discount might be better.
__________________
DebbieB is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Respectfully, I still think this statement is too broad. I've crunched the numbers various ways. A good PIN/discount offer is often a better option. It depends on the type of family and where/how much they would normally eat. (This is especially true since they changed the free dining option to CS for people staying at values.)

As my husband always tells me, just because something's on sale, it isn't always a good deal...especially if you weren't planning on buying it anyway.
Well, this is the way I look at it.

25% at a value during value season when fd is typically offered is $25 off a room per day. I cannot feed my family of four at Disney for $25. So fd = good deal.

30% off a moderate during value season when fd is typically offered is $60 off a room per day. One character meal will typically cost about $100 or more for a family of 4. So fd = good deal.

I agree with your husband that just because something is on sale, it isn't a good deal, but in this case it is. And everybody has to eat right?
Disneylover99 is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #24
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,992

This post doesn't really belong on the "Theme Park Attractions and Strategy" board. Better on the "Wishing for free dining" board. I know that doesn't really exist yet, but based on the number of these posts, there should be one.
Stinky_Pete is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Selfish to use a Disney promotion offered? I think your beef is with Disney, not the people who use the free dining plan.

It can be a good deal. If you stay in a value or moderate room with 2 adults and 2 children 10 to 17, it's a great deal. What the dining plan would have cost for 4 is more than the room rate. For only 2 people or in a deluxe, not as good of a deal, a room discount might be better.
You're right. My beef (no pun intended) is mainly with Disney for offering "free" dining in the first place.

The "selfish" comment was in response to the PP who called me selfish for not liking free dining, lol.
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #26
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy2Corinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
It has far more to do with what you eat than where you stay. Our style of eating
  • Breakfast in the room comprised of groceries from Publix,
  • CS for lunch with no desserts,
  • TS for dinner with about half being Signatures (both Dining Plan eligible and ineligible) with appetizers always ordered and desserts rarely ordered,
makes it all but impossible for us to get any benefit out of Free Dining as opposed to a room discount. We would have to change our dining pattern far more than comfort allows to reap the benefit. I'm not going to trade dinners at bluezoo and Il Mulino for dinners at Fulton's and Tutto Italia just so that they can be squeezed into the dining plan.
ITA. (Along with almost everything you've been posting lately, lol.)
__________________
~Beth~
Headed back to the World in Sept '14 - VGF
DH
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
tjknitz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 761

My family of 6 loves the free dining promo - with that being said, we go to Disney whether they offer it or not and select the Dining Plan. If we stay offsite, we still eat at the TS rest.

It does end up being cheaper for my family than any other promo (but we have never stayed at a deluxe resort so maybe that is the reason why??) I am hoping they continue to offer the Free Dining since my family is going either Sept or Nov 2015. If they don't, being that around that time of year is Value Season, I'm sure Disney will offer something to get people into the parks. With a family of 6 - I'll take any promo I can get
__________________
Me , DH , DD(6) , DS(3)





Nov 2015: POP Century
Feb 2013: Offsite
Sept 2009: POP Century
tjknitz is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #28
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
It has far more to do with what you eat than where you stay. Our style of eating
  • Breakfast in the room comprised of groceries from Publix,
  • CS for lunch with no desserts,
  • TS for dinner with about half being Signatures (both Dining Plan eligible and ineligible) with appetizers always ordered and desserts rarely ordered,
makes it all but impossible for us to get any benefit out of Free Dining as opposed to a room discount. We would have to change our dining pattern far more than comfort allows to reap the benefit. I'm not going to trade dinners at bluezoo and Il Mulino for dinners at Fulton's and Tutto Italia just so that they can be squeezed into the dining plan.
If you are a family of four staying at a moderate resort and saving $60 per night off your room, you may still be better off price wise with free dining.

4 CS lunches will run you about $40. Also do you order drinks? Do you treat yourself to any snacks? You'll more then make up the difference with just a few non-signature TS meals even by skipping desserts and paying oop for your appetizers.
Disneylover99 is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
If you are a family of four staying at a moderate resort and saving $60 per night off your room, you may still be better off price wise with free dining.

4 CS lunches will run you about $40. Also do you order drinks? Do you treat yourself to any snacks? You'll more then make up the difference with just a few non-signature TS meals even by skipping desserts and paying oop for your appetizers.
The size of the family is certainly impactful. We are three, not four. We drink mostly water at lunch and wine (for the adults) at dinner. So whatever built in cost there is for desserts and soft drinks is largely lost on us. I've done the math. Many times. We cannot make it work. But a 30% discount on a room? Sign me up!
JimmyV is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #30
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfantotheend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,685

There is a board for these questions. It is the discounts board, located here http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

I will stay out of the whole I am good enough to eat at TS restaurants, but you aren't because you are on the dining plan argument.

ETA: Oops! Posted the wrong link. It is corrected now.
disneyfantotheend is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.