Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #406
JaydaNicole
Mouseketeer

I have seen several places about AP MB with some kind of slider?!? What exactly is the slider? I booked RO & linked my AP to that same MDE. I received MB for our stay. Will I end up getting 2 MBs or just 1? Not sure I need 2, but wondering what the advantage of the slider on them is. TIA
JaydaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #407
SnowBelleAlice
Mouseketeer

DD and I are at AOA this October, LM room. Our room can hold 4 *5 if one is under 2/3?
How do I add extra ghost guests? Call? What about tickets? say "They have APs."??
Ideally I can book at 60 days out with our bands linked to our room/tickets, use the ghost MBs for SDFP+ ~ possible?
DLR Visits ~ Wee me - 84, 93, 00; Visits with my kids - 3/06, 7/06, 9/07, 4/08, 12/08, 3/09, 7/09, 9/09, 12/09, 7/10, 11/10, 11/11, 10/12, 7/14; My kids, their grandpa *my dad* & cousin - 3-4/14; WDW Visits ~ 10/09, 10/13, 10/14
Coming up ~ DLR, and the Star Wars Celebration, mid April 2015

Last edited by SnowBelleAlice; 07-24-2014 at 04:33 PM.
SnowBelleAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #408
Mitch_in_GA
Mouseketeer

Same day availability...

We're very fortunate that our son is currently in the college program, and for a limited number of times, we are able to access the parks for free (as long as he accompanies us at entry).

Since we obviously cannot book FP+ attractions ahead of time, I want to appropriately set expectations around same day availability. Arriving at RD, for the major attractions should we only expect to see late afternoon or evening return times (if any exists at all)? If no times are available when checking first thing in the morning, is there any point to keep checking? Do they ever add additional times?

Again, just want to brace ourselves for a very different touring experience in the event headliners aren't available.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #409
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaydaNicole View Post
I have seen several places about AP MB with some kind of slider?!? What exactly is the slider? I booked RO & linked my AP to that same MDE. I received MB for our stay. Will I end up getting 2 MBs or just 1? Not sure I need 2, but wondering what the advantage of the slider on them is. TIA
The slider is just a little piece of plastic attached to a regular MB. It's decorative.

It's possible you would get 2 MBs. Probably later they won't do this, but right now they're giving separate MBs for every resort stay and also for AP holders. If you didn't request AP MBs, you might just get the resort set. However -- it doesn't matter, because your resort stay MDE has the AP linked. So even if you get 2 sets, the sets will be clones - -and will all refer back to the same one set of FP+ (which you will be able to make in advance).
Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #410
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBelleAlice View Post
DD and I are at AOA this October, LM room. Our room can hold 4 *5 if one is under 2/3?
How do I add extra ghost guests? Call? What about tickets? say "They have APs."??
Ideally I can book at 60 days out with our bands linked to our room/tickets, use the ghost MBs for SDFP+ ~ possible?
If you've already made the reservation, you'd have to call to change it or add guests. Just call to add guests. If you add adults, your rate will go up. So make the guests under 18. They simply don't need tickets. You don't have to say any more than that. There are lots of reasons why people don't need tickets -- complimentary tickets given to them by CMs, they might be buying APs later, etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #411
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_in_GA View Post
We're very fortunate that our son is currently in the college program, and for a limited number of times, we are able to access the parks for free (as long as he accompanies us at entry).

Since we obviously cannot book FP+ attractions ahead of time, I want to appropriately set expectations around same day availability. Arriving at RD, for the major attractions should we only expect to see late afternoon or evening return times (if any exists at all)? If no times are available when checking first thing in the morning, is there any point to keep checking? Do they ever add additional times?

Again, just want to brace ourselves for a very different touring experience in the event headliners aren't available.
Lucky you - to be able to get cast member rates on resorts!

Be sure he lets you know when the holiday discounts kick in (October).

If you ride your favorite headliners at rope drop, you know you'll be able to ride them. Then just go with the flow on the SDFPs (same day FP) that are available. Availability *does* change -- every minute. As one person at a kiosk (or on the app or at home on their computer) cancels a FP because they're changing their plans, that FP becomes available to you. So it definitely pays to check back.

If you are staying at a resort, be sure to link that reservation to an MDE. You won't be able to make advance FP+ (since there won't be a ticket linked). However, I believe that if you use the MBs from the resort stay for SDFP, you will be able to look at the SDFP on the MDE -- and use the app to change them as you're walking around the park (without having to visit a kiosk). This may not work, but it also might! And if you do have a resort stay, those MBs will work independently from the passes you'll be getting from your son. So you can have two sets of SDFP.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #412
SnowBelleAlice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
If you've already made the reservation, you'd have to call to change it or add guests. Just call to add guests. If you add adults, your rate will go up. So make the guests under 18. They simply don't need tickets. You don't have to say any more than that. There are lots of reasons why people don't need tickets -- complimentary tickets given to them by CMs, they might be buying APs later, etc.
Bummer - nope, because we have a package *room & tickets* anyone added to our room must have the same tickets :/
I tried to add a 14, and 12 year old.
That raises my price way too much.
I could cancel, do room only - that seems like a lot of work.
I read about booking a campsite for one night, does that work?
DLR Visits ~ Wee me - 84, 93, 00; Visits with my kids - 3/06, 7/06, 9/07, 4/08, 12/08, 3/09, 7/09, 9/09, 12/09, 7/10, 11/10, 11/11, 10/12, 7/14; My kids, their grandpa *my dad* & cousin - 3-4/14; WDW Visits ~ 10/09, 10/13, 10/14
Coming up ~ DLR, and the Star Wars Celebration, mid April 2015
SnowBelleAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #413
Mitch_in_GA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
...However, I believe that if you use the MBs from the resort stay for SDFP, you will be able to look at the SDFP on the MDE -- and use the app to change them as you're walking around the park (without having to visit a kiosk). This may not work, but it also might! And if you do have a resort stay, those MBs will work independently from the passes you'll be getting from your son. So you can have two sets of SDFP.
Thanks Scrap! I assume for the MBs to work (we've already received them and they're linked to our MDE account) we'll have to begin the day at the park by getting someone to "activate" them for FP+ functionality? Otherwise, how will MDE even know we're at a park w/ our MBs?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #414
durang
Earning My Ears

Best approach - have I got this right?

We will be visiting WDW in September. We have a resort reservation with 6 names on it, but only 3 of us will be going to the parks. We will use new 7-day tickets. The reservation is linked to an existing MDE for which there is an old MB from a prior visit that was attached to a resort and now-expired AP. Also have a second MDE from that prior visit. Each MDE is listed on the other as a "friend". Finally, we do also have old NE tickets which we don't plan to use for entry

What is the best approach to get the most FP+ and SDFP for our trip?

Would it be better to "unfriend" the two MDEs?
Can you attach old NE tickets to an MDE and use it for any kind of FP+ ?

thanks for all the tips, this will really help us get the most out of the parks!

Last edited by durang; 07-30-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: discovered existing 2 MDEs, upcoming resort res. attached to one
durang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #415
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you are not using the same ticket media you used on your last trip, you might want to consider making your new resort reservations on a different MDE than the one you used last time. Link your new tickets to your new reservation. Then bring your old MBs with you to use them in the parks to make same-day FP+ (though availability may not be great). The old MBs can't be used to make FP+ in advance because they are not linked to valid tickets. But they can be used for same day FP+ at park kiosks.

And if you are making more than one resort reservation, make each one under a separate MDE account (you just need separate email addresses to make extra MDE accounts). Then link your tickets to only one of the MDEs so that you can pre-book FP+ on those MBs. You can then used the un-linked MBs for extra FP+ made same day (SDFP+!) in the parks.

If you link your tickets to more than one MDE, the tickets and the MDEs will refer back to the same set of FP+. You can only get extra FP+ if you are using MBs that are not linked to any tickets for the extras.

If you want to park hop, you would use only one set of MBs at the first park and reserve others (or your separately linked park tickets) for the second park. (You can only get FPs from one park if your tickets are linked to your MDE).

To make FP+ selections at park kiosks, we recently used two sets of bands from months ago as well as a set from a resort stay that was still a week away at the time. You can also make a set on your park tickets at the kiosks (if those tickets have not been linked to an MDE with a resort reservation).

That gave us each 12 FPs every day from the park kiosks. Visiting kiosks at different times of day brought up a variety of attractions (since people are constantly moving their FP times, making their times available -- for instance, you might well get a Toy Story Mania FP at a kiosk in the late afternoon when another guest has freed it up). There is no guarantee that you'll be lucky. And waiting in line at kiosks is time consuming.

The best scenario would be if you have a split stay (and make the two reservations under two separate MDEs and link tickets to one and use the second set of MBs for same-day FP at kiosks) or if you already have an old set of MBs which were linked to tickets that are now expired. Make your new reservation under a different MDE. Go ahead an link your new tickets to the new MDE/reservation in order to get FP+ in advance as an onsite guest. But bring your old MBs with you and try them at the kiosks in the park to see if they'll work to get another set of FP+. (You can't get FP+ in advance with the old bands, since you don't have an active ticket attached to them.)

If you are staying in a room that accommodates 5 people (for example), it might be a good idea to put 5 people on the reservation, even if only 3 will be present. That way, you'll have 2 extra MBs which would not have linked tickets but which could be used for same-day kiosk FP+. (Not *every person* on the reservation has to link tickets in order for other people on the reservation - who have linked tickets - to make FP+ reservations.) You also can't make FP+ in advance for everyone on the reservation by linking only a ticket for one person -- each person who wants FP+ in advance must have a linked ticket on MDE.

Be aware that Disney may change the way the system operates before you arrive -- and you'll find that your MBs won't function unless your tickets are linked. At the moment, the system allows SDFP+ to be made with unlinked MBs that can be used as extra FP+.

However, the most important thing is to get your FP+ in advance by linking your tickets to your upcoming reservation. It would be miserable to try to use only SDFP+ as availability continues to shrink. So this won't work for guests who either:
1. Don't already have a set of MBs from a previous trip that are linked to old tickets
or
2. Don't plan a split stay (for which separate MDEs are used to book each stay and tickets are linked to only one of the MDEs).

Oh boy, too much hassle, I'm on vacation.

Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #416
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_in_GA View Post
Thanks Scrap! I assume for the MBs to work (we've already received them and they're linked to our MDE account) we'll have to begin the day at the park by getting someone to "activate" them for FP+ functionality? Otherwise, how will MDE even know we're at a park w/ our MBs?
If you look on the MB section of your MDE, you'll see that the MBs listed there are already "activated" (and you can choose to deactivate them). They are already function for SDFP+ right now. If you do SDFP, your MDE isn't involved. And you also can't use your MDE to change SDFP once you've made them. MDE is only useful with FP+ when you have linked your tickets to the MDE and made advance FP+. (This is the best scenario -- works very welll and it's easy to change the FP+ on the app while cruising a park.)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #417
trstno1
I never look back, darling. It detracts from the now.

Is anyone still trying to use this strategy? If you have tried bringing unlinked Magic Bands to the parks this summer, have you been able to use them for FP+? If so, what sorts of rides are available?
3/2010 - offsite
3/2008 - Disney Wonder, Port Orleans Riverside
1/2007 - Saratoga Springs
2/2005 - offsite
5/2004 - Marriott's Grande Vista
12/2002 - Marriott's Cyprus Harbour
12/1986 - camped offsite
trstno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #418
taiko225
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstno1 View Post
Is anyone still trying to use this strategy? If you have tried bringing unlinked Magic Bands to the parks this summer, have you been able to use them for FP+? If so, what sorts of rides are available?
Just use it today! My MDE account has 2 magic bands is linked but I only have one 10days ticket linked and booked FP. I entered park and use the extra band and still be able to book FP.

On Wed 20Aug. I got 7dwarf mine train very late time slot. BTMR and Splash Mountain also have... Space mountain... Whatever you name they have (except Anna & Elsa) but most of the FP is after 4pm

Today AK, you can get anything easily but might be limited to timeslots.
taiko225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #419
trstno1
I never look back, darling. It detracts from the now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko225 View Post
Just use it today! My MDE account has 2 magic bands is linked but I only have one 10days ticket linked and booked FP. I entered park and use the extra band and still be able to book FP.

On Wed 20Aug. I got 7dwarf mine train very late time slot. BTMR and Splash Mountain also have... Space mountain... Whatever you name they have (except Anna & Elsa) but most of the FP is after 4pm

Today AK, you can get anything easily but might be limited to timeslots.
Thanks! This seems a little different than what I have heard before. Are both of your bands linked to the same person? You have reserved FP+ with one of the bands, and are still able to use the other band for additional FP+? Do you have additional friends or family in your MDE account?

Thanks in advance for your help!
3/2010 - offsite
3/2008 - Disney Wonder, Port Orleans Riverside
1/2007 - Saratoga Springs
2/2005 - offsite
5/2004 - Marriott's Grande Vista
12/2002 - Marriott's Cyprus Harbour
12/1986 - camped offsite
trstno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #420
taiko225
Earning My Ears

I stayed onsite alone but I put another name down in the reservation just in case my friend wanna join me after convention. That other name (email) only appears in my MDE account, I did not create an account for it. So both magic band FP can be managed by my MDE account. Just consider ticket entry system and FP system as 2 separated system and you will understand how it works. You need a ticket to get into the park(e.g. Mine is hard card comp ticket) but FP system require an active RFID media to get, e.g magic band (room key but no ticket like mine), hard card ticket (like my RFID card) in fact I got 2 sets of day of FP coz I got 1 extra band and the comp ticket. The advance booked FP is done by my 10day NE linked but not used yet. All of th works well and I suspect my used comp ticket (RFID card) could reserve too, let me try tomorrow and let you know.
taiko225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: