Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #391
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anc96 View Post
Quick update about non-ticketed magic bands.
They are still working as of today. OP, thank you so much for posting this info. It has been invaluable this trip, my last for a while with my daughter (senior year of HS this year, then college bound next year.. no time for vacation )
So glad it worked out and that you had a fantastic trip with your daughter. You are smart to make memories!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #392
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advfhorn View Post
So I saved all the fast passes from my last trip (Dec. 2013) and we are going again in Sept. 2014. So I am going to book a new hotel only reservation and order Magic bands ..... but not book the park tickets on that reservation?

How do I link the purchased separately park passes to the OLD Magic Bands?
You don't want to link new park passes to the old MBs.

Make your new resort reservation with a different MDE from your 2013 resort reservation. Get a new set of MBs. Link those MBs to your new park passes. Make your FP+ in advance, 60 days prior.

Take the old MBs along with you (presuming they were never linked to the same park passes you'll be using in 2014). Use those MBs to make SDFP (same day FP+) if the system allows you to do so, come September. It works right now. It might not later.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #393
canadiandisneynut
Earning My Ears

Help planning only one set of bands

We are headed to Disney in September. We are 60 days out now but have not yet purchased tickets. Our room and dining are attached to the magic bands we ordered. We have traveled to Walt Disney previously but never on Magic Band, we have old room cards though that are active in the MDE system. We have yet to book tickets. What is the best way for us to maximize here? Should I purchase our tickets under a new MDE account and book fastpass plus 30 days in advance and then use our magic band for same day? Do our old cards hold any weight?
I am back and forth on whether to do this or to simply take advantage of 60 days in advance and then do extra fastpasses as they expire. Is the 60 days very important?
Thanks so much!
canadiandisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #394
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandisneynut View Post
We are headed to Disney in September. We are 60 days out now but have not yet purchased tickets. Our room and dining are attached to the magic bands we ordered. We have traveled to Walt Disney previously but never on Magic Band, we have old room cards though that are active in the MDE system. We have yet to book tickets. What is the best way for us to maximize here? Should I purchase our tickets under a new MDE account and book fastpass plus 30 days in advance and then use our magic band for same day? Do our old cards hold any weight?
I am back and forth on whether to do this or to simply take advantage of 60 days in advance and then do extra fastpasses as they expire. Is the 60 days very important?
Thanks so much!
It would be easier and less stressful to just link your new tickets to your MDE and keep your park admission and FP+ in the same place as your resort reservations and dining (right on your MBs). If I were you, I wouldn't give up the chance to settle your choices 60 days out. Having said that, I haven't had trouble getting decent FP+ choices at 30 days out.

Your old room cards might be worth bringing along, if they are showing up as active on your MDE. However, if they are from the same MDE as the new resort reservation, the room cards should refer back to the same set of FP+ as your new MBs, so won't give you access to any additional FP+.

Keep in mind that the larger your party, the less it's worth bothering with SDFP+ (same day FP+). Also you're certainly aware that the loophole might be closed by September.

Again, the SDFP+ works best for people who have a set of MBs from a previous stay from a reservation made on a different MDE from the new reservation -- or for people with a split stay and the two (or more) reservations made on two different MDEs (only one of which is linked to tickets).
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #395
figment41
Mouseketeer

This may have already asked but can you purchase a magic band band such as frozen or star wars and link it to a different email mde that has not been used yet? Or does it have to be an old resort stay.

figment41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #396
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment41 View Post
This may have already asked but can you purchase a magic band band such as frozen or star wars and link it to a different email mde that has not been used yet? Or does it have to be an old resort stay.
In that case, a different MDE isn't enough. When you purchase a MB, it's not activated. When you pay for it, the CM will activate it by linking it to your park tickets on the spot. There's no way to avoid this. If they do that, any FP+s on those newly purchased bands will be the very same set of FP+ on other bands which are linked to your tickets (and also on the tickets themselves).

Bands from a previous resort stay that were linked to currently valid tickets will also refer back to the one set of FP+. So no matter how many of those bands you have, you only have one set of FP+ per person.

However, if you have MBs from a previous resort stay that were linked to tickets that are now expired, and if you book your new resort reservation (or register APs) under a different MDE, then your new bands will give you advance FP+ and the old bands can be used at the FP+ kiosks for SDFP+. (Obviously the old bands can't be used for park admission.) This is how the system works right now. That may change soon.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #397
asc
Mouseketeer

so am i correct in understanding that if my in laws don't come to the park with us on one day, but we take along their MB's, we can use the FP+ linked to the same?

its a long enough trip that paying for the ticket for the full time makes sense and missing a day is no big deal, or even if they go to the parks for only an hour or two.
asc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #398
Anc96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc View Post
so am i correct in understanding that if my in laws don't come to the park with us on one day, but we take along their MB's, we can use the FP+ linked to the same?

its a long enough trip that paying for the ticket for the full time makes sense and missing a day is no big deal, or even if they go to the parks for only an hour or two.
In this case of having extra bands that have current tickets on them and attached MDE, you can also have previously booked fp+ for that day on your in-law's bands, just switch bands when going onto the attraction. When the 3 fps are used on those bands, you can just use them at the kiosks for one at a time fps the same as you would your own.

But, even if their tickets expire before yours do, you can still use their bands for same day fast passes at the kiosks (right now anyway).

June 2004 12 nights @ Pop Century
Dec 2004 8 nights @ Coronado Springs MVMCP
June 2005 10 nights @ AKL 7/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ AKL 4/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ WL
Dec 2006 5 nights @ AKL MVMCP
June 2007 10 nights @ Beach Club CL /10 nights OP
Oct 2007 5 nights @ POR MNSSHP
June 2008 14 nights @Windsor Hills/ 6 nights @AKL
June 2010 16 nights @ Bahama Bay Resort/ 6 nights @ Double Tree, Universal
July 2011 3 nights Best Western/ 14 nights@Windsor Hills
June/July 2012 1 night Best Western/ 21 nights@Windsor Hills/ 3 nights HIE
June/July 2013 14 nights Windsor Hills
June 2014 Windsor Hills 7 nights/ 3 nights B resort
***Last Visit Until Avatarland Lures Us Back***

Me: DD17
Anc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #399
baketank
Mouseketeer

Read through some but not all of this thread. Have 2 scenarios I wanted help with to see if I understand this correctly.

(1) I have just received 4 magic bands in the mail for my upcoming Disney Vacation Club stay at the Boardwalk villas. My brothers just informed me that they will no longer be able to go on the trip. Therefore I have 2 extra magic bands that do not have tickets attached to them. I have already made my wife and I's FP+ reservations since we have our annual passes attached to MDE. Will I be able to bring the two unused magic bands that don't have tickets attached to them with us and make same day FP+ in the park at the kiosks?

(2) My wife and I have extra non-expiring tickets from a previous Disney trip with a few days left. If I either created a new MDE account or added those tickets to my brothers' magic bands, would I be able to make FP+ in advance for the number of days remaining to use in the parks, even if the magic bands/tickets will not be used to enter the park? IE: can you use FP+ on a magic band without using the ticket attached to it to enter the park?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer. It's much appreciated.
baketank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #400
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
In that case, a different MDE isn't enough. When you purchase a MB, it's not activated. When you pay for it, the CM will activate it by linking it to your park tickets on the spot. There's no way to avoid this. If they do that, any FP+s on those newly purchased bands will be the very same set of FP+ on other bands which are linked to your tickets (and also on the tickets themselves).

Bands from a previous resort stay that were linked to currently valid tickets will also refer back to the one set of FP+. So no matter how many of those bands you have, you only have one set of FP+ per person.

However, if you have MBs from a previous resort stay that were linked to tickets that are now expired, and if you book your new resort reservation (or register APs) under a different MDE, then your new bands will give you advance FP+ and the old bands can be used at the FP+ kiosks for SDFP+. (Obviously the old bands can't be used for park admission.) This is how the system works right now. That may change soon.

There are people on ebay selling the Frozen Magicbands as well as a one-day magic kingdom admission that was linked to it. Since it wasn't linked to the seller's MDE account or a ticket used to enter the parks but to the ticket, once you link the ticket to your MDE account when you get it, that Magicband will then become attached to your account.
wn01aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #401
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered - didn't read every single page.
DS and his GF are now considering joining DGrD and I on our trip next month. I added them to our room (on our MDEx acct that we have already used for 2 prior trips) and ordered MBs for them just in case. There are no tickets for them yet as they won't buy them until they arrive.
They are from Cali and love to sleep in and go to the parks late day. If they come, can DGrD and I take their MBs into the park with us when we do RD (we have FP+s already picked out and linked) and schedule 3 FP+s on their bands for them to use late day/evening?
If they don't arrive until mid-trip, can we take their bands (with no tickets attached, but they are linked to our same MDEx acct) and use them ourselves for extra in park FP+s, for the 2 or 3 days before they arrive?
Will a MB work to get in park FP+s if it is for a family member not on this trip, but who traveled on our last trip and still has an active non-expiring ticket attached?
I hate that if DS and his GF fly in to join us at the last minute that we will most likely NOT be able to do the same FP+ s with them that we have already scheduled at 60 days. This is also one of the hard parts of the new system when FL friends want to meet us in the parks for the day.
TIA for any help.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #402
Anc96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered - didn't read every single page.
DS and his GF are now considering joining DGrD and I on our trip next month. I added them to our room (on our MDEx acct that we have already used for 2 prior trips) and ordered MBs for them just in case. There are no tickets for them yet as they won't buy them until they arrive.
Do you have APs? If not, Why keep using the same MDE account? You would get new magic bands to attach to your new tickets if you use a new account, then you could bring your old bands from you old account to use for same day FP+.

Quote:
They are from Cali and love to sleep in and go to the parks late day. If they come, can DGrD and I take their MBs into the park with us when we do RD (we have FP+s already picked out and linked) and schedule 3 FP+s on their bands for them to use late day/evening?
Yes, you could do that, but why not just book the FP+ online for them? It would save you from waiting on a kiosk line.

Quote:
If they don't arrive until mid-trip, can we take their bands (with no tickets attached, but they are linked to our same MDEx acct) and use them ourselves for extra in park FP+s, for the 2 or 3 days before they arrive?
For the magic bands to get FP+s a ticket has to be attached to it. It doesn't matter if the ticket expired (at the moment), but there has to have been a ticket attached to it at some time.

Quote:
Will a MB work to get in park FP+s if it is for a family member not on this trip, but who traveled on our last trip and still has an active non-expiring ticket attached?
Yes. It doesn't matter whether or not the ticket expired. If the band had a ticket attached to it and it WAS NOT DEACTIVATED, it should work for same day FP+ at the kiosks. Just make sure the family member never deactivated it.

Quote:
I hate that if DS and his GF fly in to join us at the last minute that we will most likely NOT be able to do the same FP+ s with them that we have already scheduled at 60 days. This is also one of the hard parts of the new system when FL friends want to meet us in the parks for the day.
TIA for any help.
Not true. You will, MOST LIKEY, be able to schedule (or add) them to your fastpasses without a problem. You would only be a party of 4. Most people (including myself, though we were a party of mostly 2, and sometimes 3) had no problems getting whatever fastpasses we wanted DAYS before, and sometimes the night before, we wanted them.

Good Luck. Have fun and enjoy!

June 2004 12 nights @ Pop Century
Dec 2004 8 nights @ Coronado Springs MVMCP
June 2005 10 nights @ AKL 7/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ AKL 4/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ WL
Dec 2006 5 nights @ AKL MVMCP
June 2007 10 nights @ Beach Club CL /10 nights OP
Oct 2007 5 nights @ POR MNSSHP
June 2008 14 nights @Windsor Hills/ 6 nights @AKL
June 2010 16 nights @ Bahama Bay Resort/ 6 nights @ Double Tree, Universal
July 2011 3 nights Best Western/ 14 nights@Windsor Hills
June/July 2012 1 night Best Western/ 21 nights@Windsor Hills/ 3 nights HIE
June/July 2013 14 nights Windsor Hills
June 2014 Windsor Hills 7 nights/ 3 nights B resort
***Last Visit Until Avatarland Lures Us Back***

Me: DD17
Anc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #403
therina
Earning My Ears

Sooo confused!!!

Maybe it's my ADD or all the other abbreviations but I'm just not getting this! We're headed down this weekend. I have a split stay-4 separate resorts/reservations - DVC. I have one MDE account, two sets of old Magic Bands, 3 sets of new Magic Bands and 1 Annual Pass Magic Band. I have made already made FP reservations on MDE but have no idea which of the bands (if not all) these are tied to. Just to make it a little more confusing, I have an AP that is linked to the MB that is set to expire while we are there and I will activate a new AP sometime during the trip. Can anyone suggest how I can get the biggest "bang for my buck" with all of this?
therina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #404
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anc96 View Post
For the magic bands to get FP+s a ticket has to be attached to it. It doesn't matter if the ticket expired (at the moment), but there has to have been a ticket attached to it at some time.
That's not true of MBs that came with a resort stay. We have used MBs for SDFP+ at the kiosks when the MBs never had a ticket of any kind attached to them. In order to *buy* a MB, you will be required to attach a ticket. But you're not required to attach tickets when you're given a MB at a resort. If you don't want to attach a ticket, you can just use it as your room key. (As well as inside the parks, at the FP+ kiosks -- obviously they don't work for park entry.)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #405
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therina View Post
Maybe it's my ADD or all the other abbreviations but I'm just not getting this! We're headed down this weekend. I have a split stay-4 separate resorts/reservations - DVC. I have one MDE account, two sets of old Magic Bands, 3 sets of new Magic Bands and 1 Annual Pass Magic Band. I have made already made FP reservations on MDE but have no idea which of the bands (if not all) these are tied to. Just to make it a little more confusing, I have an AP that is linked to the MB that is set to expire while we are there and I will activate a new AP sometime during the trip. Can anyone suggest how I can get the biggest "bang for my buck" with all of this?
Presumablly your old sets of MBs are linked to the same MDE as your four new reservations? And obviously your AP bands are tied to it, too. In that case, those sets of bands are all "clones" of each other. (This is assuming that you have the same set of guests on all the reservations.) All you need is one band for each person in the party -- that band will open all four doors of your upcoming stay and will work for park admission (until the one AP expires). Doesn't matter which one you bring (an AP band with slider or one from a resort stay) -- as long as you have one band for each person.

Your only option would be for the new AP. Link the new AP to a different MDE (only the email address has to be different -- all the personal data will be the same). Then you would use the new ticket itself for a separate set of same day FP+ (SDFP) at the park kiosks. In the future, make your reservations (at least some of them) with the new MDE and get your FP+ in advance. But one set of the old MBs (not all of them, since they are clones) will work in the future for SDFP+.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: