Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #316
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
So, this is what I am thinking about. Does anyone know if it will work?

We have a MDE account with a throwaway room and 5 day tickets linked. We made our FP+ at 60 days out with this account. We have a set of 10 days tickets we are thinking of linking to a different MDE account to be able to book FP+s at 30 days out. We do not want to use these tickets since they are for our 2015 trip but was thinking that even though we don't use them to enter the park, we would still be able to use them to use those FP+s that we booked at 30 days out. From my understanding, we could also borrow some MBs from friends and get same day FP+s with those MBs. Does it matter that those are linked to someone else? What if they had deactivate those MBs? We are travelling with some extended family that will be unable to stay in the parks for long because of some health issues. So that got me wondering that if we reserved another throwaway room under a third MDE account, would those MBs be good to get same day FP+s? They will not have the extra tickets and we won't be able to borrow enough MBs for everyone so that is the only way I could think of to help them get in a few more rides since this trip will be a one and done for them. The extra cost of the throwaway room might be worth the risk to help them have an awesome trip. Our trip is coming up in June but I fully understand that any of this info can change at any moment.

Thanks for any help!
It's great that you got your FP+ reservations booked in advance.

Your 10-day tickets for a future trip may not be useful right now. You could go ahead and link them to a separate MDE and make FP+. However, since the tickets won't have been activated at the entrance, there's a very good chance that they won't work when you want to enter an attraction to use your FP+ reservation. I don't know for sure that they wouldn't work, but I personally wouldn't bother trying -- because the chance of failure is really high.

Your friends have MBs that you can borrow. I'm curious as to why your friends deactivated them? To reactivate, they just need to visit their MDE account and click a button. If they are willing to do this, you can use them for same-day FP+. If they're deactivated, I don't think they'll work at the kiosk. Presumably that's why deactivated means, though I've not tried it out myself.

Another throwaway room with MBs unlinked to tickets will get you same-day FP+. However, as you said, this could all change -- and those MBs would be worthless. I wouldn't pay for a throwaway room for that purpose, personally. Though it might be worth the risk for you.

Your friends MBs might be your best bet for extra FP+, if they will go into their MDE and reactivate.

Now that Disney is allowing additional FP+, you might not even need extras with spare MBs.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #317
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
It's great that you got your FP+ reservations booked in advance.

Your 10-day tickets for a future trip may not be useful right now. You could go ahead and link them to a separate MDE and make FP+. However, since the tickets won't have been activated at the entrance, there's a very good chance that they won't work when you want to enter an attraction to use your FP+ reservation. I don't know for sure that they wouldn't work, but I personally wouldn't bother trying -- because the chance of failure is really high.

Your friends have MBs that you can borrow. I'm curious as to why your friends deactivated them? To reactivate, they just need to visit their MDE account and click a button. If they are willing to do this, you can use them for same-day FP+. If they're deactivated, I don't think they'll work at the kiosk. Presumably that's why deactivated means, though I've not tried it out myself.

Another throwaway room with MBs unlinked to tickets will get you same-day FP+. However, as you said, this could all change -- and those MBs would be worthless. I wouldn't pay for a throwaway room for that purpose, personally. Though it might be worth the risk for you.

Your friends MBs might be your best bet for extra FP+, if they will go into their MDE and reactivate.

Now that Disney is allowing additional FP+, you might not even need extras with spare MBs.
Having to use all 3 before you can get a new one and being in the park on 8 and 9 crowd days are what my concerns are. In DHS and Epcot, I'm not sure if any top tier left by the time we use all 3.

I'm thinking they may have deactivated the ones they would let us borrow because it would be the ones their extended family used and will not be using again.

I thought I read on another DIS thread that a ticket didn't have to be used to enter the park to be able to use a FP+ that was attached to it. There has been discussion about use a ticket that had a single day on it over and over to make same day FP+s. Can't remember what exactly I read that made me think that linking those tickets in a different MDE account would allow us to book in advance and we wouldn't have to use the ticket to enter the park. I need to see if I can find that thread and reread all that info again.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #318
ckelly14
Lurker

I believe I responded on another thread, but I have read reports of people pre-booking FP and not using the tickets at entry, but this was with MB's. Not sure this will work with RFID tickets.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #319
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Having to use all 3 before you can get a new one and being in the park on 8 and 9 crowd days are what my concerns are. In DHS and Epcot, I'm not sure if any top tier left by the time we use all 3.

I'm thinking they may have deactivated the ones they would let us borrow because it would be the ones their extended family used and will not be using again.

I thought I read on another DIS thread that a ticket didn't have to be used to enter the park to be able to use a FP+ that was attached to it. There has been discussion about use a ticket that had a single day on it over and over to make same day FP+s. Can't remember what exactly I read that made me think that linking those tickets in a different MDE account would allow us to book in advance and we wouldn't have to use the ticket to enter the park. I need to see if I can find that thread and reread all that info again.
You are correct. An active MB with an active ticket on it can be used for FP without using it for park entry. We do this every single week since my teen never comes to the park with us yet she has an AP. Might as well get something for all the money that ticket cost us.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #320
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
You are correct. An active MB with an active ticket on it can be used for FP without using it for park entry. We do this every single week since my teen never comes to the park with us yet she has an AP. Might as well get something for all the money that ticket cost us.
But will it work with a ticket that isn't linked to a MB? I was thinking that a MB and a ticket could be used interchangeable so it wouldn't matter. Our 10 day tickets will not be linked to a MB. I was thinking that I could load our tickets into a separate MDE from our throwaway room with 5 day tickets linked to MB and be able to pre-book FP+ at 30 days out, which we have already reached. Then we would use the MB to enter the park but use FP+ from both the 5 day and 10 day ticket without using any days off of the 10 day ticket. But I was trying to figure how to help our extended family get an extra set of FP+s since they will have limited park time and we will be traveling during some pretty high crowd times. They will not have extra tickets and we can't borrow enough extra MBs for them all. A extra tent campground would be $80 so with a party of 10 that is less than $10 extra per person for 3 extra FPs for 6 of their 4 day military tickets.

Edited to ask: Would a MB for a stay starting on Wednesday work on Monday? Our first one is a check in day of a Monday and was thinking if we did another one on Wednesday or Thursday then we could get another 2 days of free parking. But would those MBs work for same day FP+s earlier in the week?

Last edited by mom2mickeyfan; 05-14-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #321
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

MBs will work at FP+ kiosks with or without linked tickets. They will work if they are from a resort stay six months ago. They will work if they're from a resort stay coming up next week. No problem with MBs -- they are activated when they're mailed to you. And they stay activated (unless you deactivate them on MDE). They're expected to be able to function for two years. (Though eventually they may no longer work for same-day FP+ (SDFP!) without a valid ticket linked to them.)

Tickets may be another story. The tickets we used (not linked to MDE) were active tickets -- they were used to enter the parks. I tried using a ticket for my son who had not come with us one day -- and that ticket would not work at the FP+ kiosks (for SDFP!). I don't know if that was a fluke or not. That was at the Studios.

Unless they are non-expiration, the clock will start ticking on your 10 day tickets as soon as you use one to enter a park (which I know you're not planning to do right now). I wonder if when you use one of those tickets for the first time, you activate it. If you've never used it, it may not be activated, it may not work at the FP+ kiosk (or at a FP attraction entrance). I didn't try this, so I don't know. But I would think there's a good chance that the tickets themselves won't work for extra FP+ (SDFP) unless they are active. But maybe the fact is, both pre-used and expired tickets might all work at the kiosk right now. However, it would just be painful for you to link them to an MDE, make a bunch of terrific FP+ in advance, then be unable to use them.

Your MBs for upcoming stays will work at the kiosks for SDFP -- but I'm not sure if MDE will allow you to pre-book FP+ (PBFP!) for days ahead of your arrival. Probably not.

Quote:
But will it work with a ticket that isn't linked to a MB? I was thinking that a MB and a ticket could be used interchangeable so it wouldn't matter. Our 10 day tickets will not be linked to a MB. I was thinking that I could load our tickets into a separate MDE from our throwaway room with 5 day tickets linked to MB and be able to pre-book FP+ at 30 days out, which we have already reached. Then we would use the MB to enter the park but use FP+ from both the 5 day and 10 day ticket without using any days off of the 10 day ticket. But I was trying to figure how to help our extended family get an extra set of FP+s since they will have limited park time and we will be traveling during some pretty high crowd times. They will not have extra tickets and we can't borrow enough extra MBs for them all. A extra tent campground would be $80 so with a party of 10 that is less than $10 extra per person for 3 extra FPs for 6 of their 4 day military tickets.

Edited to ask: Would a MB for a stay starting on Wednesday work on Monday? Our first one is a check in day of a Monday and was thinking if we did another one on Wednesday or Thursday then we could get another 2 days of free parking. But would those MBs work for same day FP+s earlier in the week?

Last edited by ScrapYap; 05-14-2014 at 10:18 AM.
ScrapYap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #322
woody5
Mouseketeer

I have a used one day ticket from earlier this year. Do you think I can use it at the kiosk to secure additional fp+'s. It is not linked to any MDE account.
woody5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #323
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody5 View Post
I have a used one day ticket from earlier this year. Do you think I can use it at the kiosk to secure additional fp+'s. It is not linked to any MDE account.
Old MBs definitely work, whether linked to a ticket or not.

But old tickets? I don't know for sure. I'd guess that they become deactivated when they expire - in which they won't work for FP+. But they might. Maybe someone else has tried it and will report in.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #324
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

But this is why I wonder if a ticket would work even if it hadn't been used to enter the park. If the gate system and the FP+ system aren't tied together, how would it know if you entered the park with the ticket? And if two systems are tied together, wouldn't it be able to tell it even with the MBs? Either the FP+ system can recognize if the media being used was also used to enter the park or it can't. Now, I know nothing about IT so I could have no idea what I am talking about!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #325
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
But this is why I wonder if a ticket would work even if it hadn't been used to enter the park. If the gate system and the FP+ system aren't tied together, how would it know if you entered the park with the ticket? And if two systems are tied together, wouldn't it be able to tell it even with the MBs? Either the FP+ system can recognize if the media being used was also used to enter the park or it can't. Now, I know nothing about IT so I could have no idea what I am talking about!
You're right about the media not needing to be used to enter the park -- I think! Definitely for MBs. Is it possible that the chip on the tickets works differently? I don't know.

The only issue that might be a concern is the issue of activation. We know MBs can be deactivated -- which must mean they don't work at FP+ kiosks (or any other touchpoints). Do tickets have to be activated in order to be used at FP+ kiosks?

I don't mean that the tickets have to be used to enter the parks in order to be used at the kiosks. Just that they have become activated. As the MBs do when they are mailed to resort guests or at the point of purchase in the parks for off-site guests. Maybe a ticket is activated upon first use. From that point (until expiration?) that ticket will work at a FP+ kiosk whether it was used to enter that park or not. I think that scenario *might* be the case.

We won't know until someone tries it and reports back!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #326
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're right about the media not needing to be used to enter the park -- I think! Definitely for MBs. Is it possible that the chip on the tickets works differently? I don't know.

The only issue that might be a concern is the issue of activation. We know MBs can be deactivated -- which must mean they don't work at FP+ kiosks (or any other touchpoints). Do tickets have to be activated in order to be used at FP+ kiosks?

I don't mean that the tickets have to be used to enter the parks in order to be used at the kiosks. Just that they have become activated. As the MBs do when they are mailed to resort guests or at the point of purchase in the parks for off-site guests. Maybe a ticket is activated upon first use. From that point (until expiration?) that ticket will work at a FP+ kiosk whether it was used to enter that park or not. I think that scenario *might* be the case.

We won't know until someone tries it and reports back!
I understand what you are saying. The other side is, if a ticket can't be deactivated would it need to be activated. Wish there was someone that could give a answer.

Still thinking of getting that throwaway campground site to be able to get some extra MBs for the extended family I've mentioned before. There would have been no tickets linked to these bands. Unless things change, those MBs would be able to get same day FP+s right?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #327
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. The other side is, if a ticket can't be deactivated would it need to be activated. Wish there was someone that could give a answer.

Still thinking of getting that throwaway campground site to be able to get some extra MBs for the extended family I've mentioned before. There would have been no tickets linked to these bands. Unless things change, those MBs would be able to get same day FP+s right?
Right - SDFP+! And if you read that the system has changed before your trip, you could cancel your spare reservation. If the system doesn't change, you'll have those spare bands not only for this trip, but for a future trip (though the system will presumably change at some point!).
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #328
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right - SDFP+! And if you read that the system has changed before your trip, you could cancel your spare reservation. If the system doesn't change, you'll have those spare bands not only for this trip, but for a future trip (though the system will presumably change at some point!).
Thanks! And making that throwaway room for later in our week to save on 2 more days of parking won't affect being able at the beginning of the week to use those MBs that will not have tickets linked to them?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #329
bluwater
Mouseketeer

hmmmm...I'm trying hard to understand how to get extra FPs.

Why would anyone need a throwaway room for this? Is it to get the MBs?

If we know another family who just returned and they have MBs they are willing to loan us for our visit, can we just use those for the extra FPs?
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #330
Momtomouselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As of now, you don't have to use a MB for park admission in order to use it at a kiosk. And you don't have to have a ticket linked to a MB to use it at a kiosk. Eventually, you will. Maybe next week. Maybe next year. Right now, you can use any MB -- from a previous stay, from a person not with you, even for a future stay -- at a kiosk for same-day FP+.

Note that if the MB from a previous stay is linked to the same MDE as a MB from a current stay, it will direct back to the same set of FP+. The MBs have to be from different MDEs in order to function independently.

However, if you have different groups of people on various reservations made on the same MDE -- your in-laws on one trip, your parents on another, etc. -- what happens then? Surely the MBs for different people on your various reservations would all work independently, even though the reservations they're listed on were all linked to the same MDE. If you're Tom Morrow on reservations on your MDE, I would think that every MB for Tom Morrow for every reservation on the same MDE would all refer back to the same set of FP+ (not separate sets for separate MBs). But what about your relatives who were on several different reservations on your MDE? Those would have to be separate sets of FP+. So you bring back your MBs that your in-laws used last fall when they were with you -- you can get extra FP+ with those MBs but not with your own MBs from that same trip (since they are referring to the same MDE individual as your new MBs). We had separate MDEs for every reservation (and no tickets linked), so I don't have personal experience with various individuals who are all under the umbrella of a single MDE which was used to make multiple reservations.
So, if I'm reading this right what you are saying is that if my husband, myself, my sister, and her husband went on a trip previously and all have MB's and they are all on the same MDE since we stayed in the same room but they are "registered" to different individuals...then...on a future trip if my sister and I went alone we could still use our MB's that are linked to tickets and a reservation for 3 advance FP's and then use our husbands MB's for day of (kiosk) set of 3 FP's whether or not they are with us, on the room reservation, and whether or not they are linked to tickets? Wow! That is a glitch. I would be nervous that a CM looking over my shoulder would see a male name on the screen or something. Not sure if it is worth it though.
Momtomouselover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: