Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Meredith9217
Earning My Ears

Should I get a DAS? 7 of us.

Due to a chronic illness I will be using a wheelchair this summer. In the past with the wheelchair we used fastpasses and I was able to stand in the normal lines. I never know when I will have a "bad" day. Last time we were there and I had a "bad" day we went to Thyphoon Lagoon. I am struggleing if I should even get the DAS pass but we might do it "just in case" since my disease has progressed. My question is there is 7 of us - if DAS fastpass is required does the whole family go thru the fastpass?
Meredith9217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

From your post, it sounds like your needs are met with the wheelchair. They will not issue a DAS if your needs are met with a wheelchair. The lines are accessible most places so you can take it into the line. Where it's not, they'll give you a WC return time.

If this is inaccurate nod there is something else preventing you from waiting in the standard line, if they issue you a DAS they'll need the whole,party present and everyone would go through the line together.
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
StirlingSilver83
DIS Veteran

I think I have heard somewhere that the DAS is good for a total of 6 people including the DAS holder. But don't quote me on that because I am not 100% sure.

June 4, 2012 - June 15, 2012 - Stayed Off Site
March 28, 2014 - April 7, 2014 - Contemporary
April 9, 2015 - April 19, 2015 - Contemporary
StirlingSilver83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirlingSilver83 View Post
I think I have heard somewhere that the DAS is good for a total of 6 people including the DAS holder. But don't quote me on that because I am not 100% sure.
It typically is, but they can go up to 10. The whole party will have to be present when it's issued.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith9217 View Post
Due to a chronic illness I will be using a wheelchair this summer. In the past with the wheelchair we used fastpasses and I was able to stand in the normal lines. I never know when I will have a "bad" day. Last time we were there and I had a "bad" day we went to Thyphoon Lagoon. I am struggleing if I should even get the DAS pass but we might do it "just in case" since my disease has progressed. My question is there is 7 of us - if DAS fastpass is required does the whole family go thru the fastpass?
I think the real issues is that most lines are now accessible with a wheelchair. They may not have been in the past (or you might not have noticed it in the past if you weren't using a wheelchair all the time). So you should be able to take your wheelchair in the line with you this time, and you'll be all set.

Last edited by buffettgirl; 03-05-2014 at 08:14 PM.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
I think the real issues is that most lines are not accessible with a wheelchair. They may not have been in the past (or you might not have noticed it in the past if you weren't using a wheelchair all the time). So you should be simply able to take your wheelchair in the line with you this time, and you'll be all set.
I think you mean now accessible not "not accesible".
Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think the real issues is that most lines are not accessible with a wheelchair. They may not have been in the past (or you might not have noticed it in the past if you weren't using a wheelchair all the time). So you should be simply able to take your wheelchair in the line with you this time, and you'll be all set.
incorrect. at WDW most lines ARE WC accessible. RARELY am I directed to an alternate entrance or sent through FP line directly. even at places where the line splits off to access stairs i still go through the reg line until the stairs show up.

if it is necessary,I get asked if I can Transfer. If I choose to not do so ( some times I can, some times I cannot) then the CM wings it.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Belle1997
I married a beast and found my prince
So please be nice to each other and think of others first, when you do magical things can happen for many more people
Answer is Yes!

I use a wheelchair and was able to get a DAS because of other issues I have that effect how long I can stay in a line. If you have other medical issues other than mobility you can get a DAS.

Make sure you go and say to them and say yes I use a wheelchair but that is not why I want a DAS and explain any other issues that may affect waiting.

It is too easy to just see a chair and assume that is all that is required.

If is just mobility issues no you will not get one. My disease affects many aspects other than my legs and arms. Your may too.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
incorrect. at WDW most lines ARE WC accessible. RARELY am I directed to an alternate entrance or sent through FP line directly. even at places where the line splits off to access stairs i still go through the reg line until the stairs show up. if it is necessary,I get asked if I can Transfer. If I choose to not do so ( some times I can, some times I cannot) then the CM wings it.
It was just a typo in the first sentence.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
It was just a typo in the first sentence.
thanks for actually reading the post

and yes. It was just a typo which was pretty evident in reading the rest of the post.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
thanks for actually reading the post

and yes. It was just a typo which was pretty evident in reading the rest of the post.

I didn't even catch the typo at first.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Just to add that waterparks are a big hassle with a WC or special needs adult in the group. Speaking from experience. I would say, relax at your resort or something, the day your family wants to to a water park.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck
Just to add that waterparks are a big hassle with a WC or special needs adult in the group. Speaking from experience. I would say, relax at your resort or something, the day your family wants to to a water park.
I loved to go to the water parks and go in the lazy river or the calmer wave pool at BB, but walking in sand is hard and a wheelchair would be harder. There are steps for rides and the lazy rivers although there may have been a wheelchair entry I didn't see. It would be a big hassle, sadly we never go there anymore.

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: