Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
JamieLM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
7am-8am is usually pretty good. Even better earlier, but they only do bakery/cold items between 6am and 7am. To be honest, it doesn't really quieten off too much until lunchtime (even after 10am it is still quite busy). Yes, AB rooms have the ceiling fans, it's only the Royal Rooms which don't. The aircon units are stand-alone boxes near the door, and yes they can be quite noisy. In peak season it might be a good idea to have a reservation, as although it's not the busiest location at WDW, it can still get full around peak dining times. But often you can get away with a walk-up. It might be worth checking a few days before and see how busy they seem to be before cancelling your ADR (which can be done 24 hours beforehand without penalty) There is no such thing as a 'Courtyard' View booking, just Standard View, Garden View, Pool View, etc. Also, you can't specifically book the Magnolia Bend section, it will only be there as a request on your reservation and you could just as easily get a room in the Alligator Bayou section. Requests are often met of course, but it's not a guarantee. 'Standard View' rooms are basically in all the parts of the resort which mostly overlook the parking lots, although sometimes you'll get some trees or other vegetation, or a nice lawn or fountain courtyard, between you and the cars. See the building floorplan maps which are linked from post #4 in this thread. On the plus side, the current roofing work at Oak Manor (which is not the same area that you would be in anyway) will be complete by then - but there's no guarantee that something else might not be in progress then of course. Andre
Thank you Andre! I called two days ago and that is what they told me, so I guess another phone call is in order to request a "non" courtyard room, and request the manor terrace. I do understand the requests are not guaranteed. I take it I didn't speak to a wise Disney cast member. Ugh, thanks again!
JamieLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #47
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStory3 View Post
Thanks. There are only four of us. The mansions look so beautiful but not sure if having a royal room is really that important to us. But, I'm thinking I may want to book a RR if we definitely want to be in a mansion.

If I book just "river view" it could be either AB or the mansions, correct?
River view could be anywhere on property that you can see the river. Andre has a site where you can check each building to see where the river views are at. www.portorleans.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiDisneyfreak View Post
But she is staying for 12 days. She can make the 180 +10 on March 28 but what about the last 2 days. When can those be made.
Yeah I saw that afterwards and someone helped to point that out for me so I didn't post anymore on that. Originally I didn't notice their length of stay.

They should be able on march 30th for remaining days.

Last edited by Venomhatch; 03-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #48
czmom
DIS Veteran

Hi! We are a family of 4 booked in a garden view room for one night only in May. What are my chances of getting a room in AB instead of the mansions? My kids would really like the trundle bed. And my DD and I stayed in a Royal Room last year- loved it- but would like to experience AB this time.

I do plan on faxing in my request. Either way, happy to spend more time at POR. It is a beautiful resort.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #49
maryj11
DIS Veteran

What is the closest bus depot to preferred building 27 ? South or West ? Thanks for any info.

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #50
LeahA
DIS Veteran

14 Days until I'm at POR for the first time!!!

AB section, parking lot view , requested building closest to a preferred building, and requested a high floor

ADR's booked, Magic Bands received, FP booked, Online Checkin done

All I have to do is pack, I so need this vacation.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #51
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmom View Post
Hi! We are a family of 4 booked in a garden view room for one night only in May. What are my chances of getting a room in AB instead of the mansions? My kids would really like the trundle bed. And my DD and I stayed in a Royal Room last year- loved it- but would like to experience AB this time.

I do plan on faxing in my request. Either way, happy to spend more time at POR. It is a beautiful resort.
I'd say very good because there are a lot more AB rooms than there are mansion rooms that aren't royal rooms, plus looking at the map at http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php, it looks like garden view is by far the most common view category at AB. In fact, buildings 26 and 28 are all garden view, and 34, 38, and 39 are almost all garden view. Also, FYI, it's a Murphy bed, not a trundle bed.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #52
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Best thread on the boards, awesome to see a new version (2014) rolling.

Andre, thanks for all you do.

Venom, thanks for constantly taking an interest here and helping people out.

You two (and some others here) are a big part of the reason we love Disney.

Staying at AKV this trip, BUT, have the whole family staying at POR, and so fricken happy about it so we get to hang around and walk the river and enjoy it all
Old 03-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #53
TeachMeMissB
Earning My Ears

Be Our Guest FastPass

Hi All,

Very excited for our visit to Disney this May, we just hit the 75 day mark! I'm taking my grandparents for their 60th anniversary, my mom for her 50th birthday, and my little sister for her 16th birthday. We're staying in Port Orleans Riverside and have found these boards to be extremely helpful. I'm trying to make our vacation as special as possible and my little sister is a BIG Beauty and the Beast fan. We're trying to figure out lunch options for Be Our Guest but are concerned about waiting on such a long line without any seats for my 87 year old grandfather to sit on (I have also heard the line is in direct sunlight). I called Disney direct because I had heard that there is a fast-pass option only to find out that these were only given to a select few guests. Does anyone know if we can enter our names into a drawing or do anything to be considered for these passes? Thanks in advance for your help!
TeachMeMissB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #54
AmyKat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachMeMissB View Post
Hi All,

Very excited for our visit to Disney this May, we just hit the 75 day mark! I'm taking my grandparents for their 60th anniversary, my mom for her 50th birthday, and my little sister for her 16th birthday. We're staying in Port Orleans Riverside and have found these boards to be extremely helpful. I'm trying to make our vacation as special as possible and my little sister is a BIG Beauty and the Beast fan. We're trying to figure out lunch options for Be Our Guest but are concerned about waiting on such a long line without any seats for my 87 year old grandfather to sit on (I have also heard the line is in direct sunlight). I called Disney direct because I had heard that there is a fast-pass option only to find out that these were only given to a select few guests. Does anyone know if we can enter our names into a drawing or do anything to be considered for these passes? Thanks in advance for your help!
This is everything you need to know about FP+ for BOG.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #55
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLM View Post
Thank you Andre! I called two days ago and that is what they told me, so I guess another phone call is in order to request a "non" courtyard room, and request the manor terrace.!
If you stay with a Standard View room, you might be best to simply request a non-parking lot view if possible (or request a view of a courtyard, that'd work too). If you switch up to a Garden View room then you at least know that your room won't be over the parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
What is the closest bus depot to preferred building 27 ? South or West ? Thanks for any info.
South is a tad closer, but there's not a lot in it (if a bus drops off at West first, get off there rather than staying on the bus for another 6 minutes until it gets to the South Depot).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #56
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
If you stay with a Standard View room, you might be best to simply request a non-parking lot view if possible (or request a view of a courtyard, that'd work too). If you switch up to a Garden View room then you at least know that your room won't be over the parking lots.

South is a tad closer, but there's not a lot in it (if a bus drops off at West first, get off there rather than staying on the bus for another 6 minutes until it gets to the South Depot).

Andre
Thanks

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #57
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Haven't booked yet for our summer trip yet but Riverside has made it to one of my final 2 choices. Stayed there last in 2009 and had a great visit.

Just a couple questions that may help me make my decision. Booking through Orbitz and preferred room is not a choice. Would book River view since it looks like most of these rooms also offer convenient locations. From looking at the map is there a bridge farther down close to Royal room locations?

Is the boat transportation to Downtown Disney still going with the construction going on at DD?

And what's the best way to get to POFQ from Riverside?

Thanks so much!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #58
mum22
Earning My Ears

Por to poly

Doing the 8:00pm dinner show at the Poly what is my best plan to get there, and what time should we leave POR?
mum22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #59
alktdknckmom
Earning My Ears

Port Orleans Discounted

We were looking at staying at PO Riverside for our trip in September.

I went on Disney's website and added all my perimeters and it seems that PO Riverside quite a bit cheaper than other moderates. Even cheaper than Values by $500 for the time we're staying. I got a quote of $1711 for 2 adults, 3 kids, disney dining plan, 3 days of tickets, no park hopper/waterparks. I used the "compare" option so I was sure to enter the same specifications for all resorts. Art of Animation was $2192 for the same perimeters and just for comparison, Boardwalk and Yacht club are both deluxe and only $70 more than Art of Animation.

Does anyone know why this seems to be the case?

Thanks!
alktdknckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #60
kelconic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alktdknckmom View Post
We were looking at staying at PO Riverside for our trip in September.

I went on Disney's website and added all my perimeters and it seems that PO Riverside quite a bit cheaper than other moderates. Even cheaper than Values by $500 for the time we're staying. I got a quote of $1711 for 2 adults, 3 kids, disney dining plan, 3 days of tickets, no park hopper/waterparks. I used the "compare" option so I was sure to enter the same specifications for all resorts. Art of Animation was $2192 for the same perimeters and just for comparison, Boardwalk and Yacht club are both deluxe and only $70 more than Art of Animation.

Does anyone know why this seems to be the case?

Thanks!
The values (except AofA suites) only accommodate 4 people so you are being quoted for two rooms. POR has specific rooms that have a little Murphy bed which allows them to sleep 5. The AofA suites are quite a bit bigger than the POR rooms, have a small kitchen, and an extra bathroom. That is why they cost more. My family of 5 stayed in both on our trip and liked them both
kelconic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: