Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #2356
goofy Jr. 88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthompson111 View Post
This thread is so helpful! I'm almost ready to book but I'm wondering if it is worth paying around $300 more for a preferred room? I'm comparing standard vs. preferred in pricing. I assumed garden view is around the same distance as standard view, so I hope that is correct.
We just got back last week , 8 nights and we were in AB building 26 (non preferred). It was about a 5 min. Walk to food court etc.

Dan

DISdad # 383
goofy Jr. 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #2357
shaneray
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthompson111 View Post
This is for 5 nights. May 3-8
actually that sounds about right, and that's the week we plan to go there as well and I noticed that royal river view rooms were about the same price as preferred.
shaneray is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #2358
ValarDisneyus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinafair View Post
Expected arrival/departure times, choose from corner room, second floor, ground floor, highest floor, and you are able to select if early check-in is your highest priority. Not very specific requests. We plan to fax over more specific requests about a week before arrival. There is a fax template for that purpose around here somewhere.
Does anyone know if you can still do this if you booked with a military discount? I got the impression while booking that military discounts booked very specific rooms, but I could have been wrong. Also-the doors to rooms aren't private, right? They face the outdoors? Because that's a factor if I get to select ground floor or higher up.
ValarDisneyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #2359
myminnieme
Earning My Ears

Can anyone say how far the royal rooms are from say, the dining area? I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard they are all a ways away, and I've heard that pool view royal rooms are pretty close. Thanks!
myminnieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #2360
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by myminnieme View Post
Can anyone say how far the royal rooms are from say, the dining area? I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard they are all a ways away, and I've heard that pool view royal rooms are pretty close. Thanks!
If you request and get Oak Manor near the bridge you will be very close to the food court and restaurant.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #2361
myminnieme
Earning My Ears

I wonder why I read that the royal rooms were the least convenient when it looks like the regular mansion rooms in Acadian and magnolia are much farther? Unfortunately alligator bayou does not appeal to me in the slightest to book a preferred room.
myminnieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #2362
KanataDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If you request and get Oak Manor near the bridge you will be very close to the food court and restaurant.
Which Royal Rooms are closer to the main building ... "Southern most section of Oak Manor" or the "northern most section of Parterre Place"?

Dec 2010, DCL (Wonder) Bahamas
Dec 2013, DCL (Fantasy) Eastern Caribbean + 4 night DW AoA
Dec 2014, 1 night POR + 4 nights DCL (Dream) Bahamas + 7 nights CSR
Dec 2015, DCL (Fantasy) Western Caribbean + TBD WDW
KanataDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #2363
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarDisneyus View Post
Does anyone know if you can still do this if you booked with a military discount? I got the impression while booking that military discounts booked very specific rooms, but I could have been wrong. Also-the doors to rooms aren't private, right? They face the outdoors? Because that's a factor if I get to select ground floor or higher up.

We've used the military discount and have been able to check off options like highest floor when doing online check-in. The availability of room categories varies with the military discount. Last year we were able to book preferred, but not a Royal Room. This year, it was the opposite, so we ended up with a Royal Garden View. The doors open to the outside, so if you want the least amount of traffic, I would recommend choosing highest floor. You'll also avoid the problem of potentially stompy-feet upstairs neighbors.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #2364
ValarDisneyus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildarumpole View Post
We've used the military discount and have been able to check off options like highest floor when doing online check-in. The availability of room categories varies with the military discount. Last year we were able to book preferred, but not a Royal Room. This year, it was the opposite, so we ended up with a Royal Garden View. The doors open to the outside, so if you want the least amount of traffic, I would recommend choosing highest floor. You'll also avoid the problem of potentially stompy-feet upstairs neighbors.
Thanks! We're in a Royal Garden View, I have NO idea if it's preferred or not.
ValarDisneyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #2365
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarDisneyus View Post
Thanks! We're in a Royal Garden View, I have NO idea if it's preferred or not.
It's not Preferred.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #2366
BabiesDaddy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by myminnieme View Post
I've stayed at Oak Manor in a royal room. You will always have conflicting reports about room distances, etc. I can only give you my perspective, since last year was my first stay or visit to wdw. I think people who have been going to Disney most of their life or several visits, have a different perspective than me. I say that to say this, if leaving your house and walking down your street say 20 houses or so and getting a drink, and then turning around and going back, is okay with you, than that's about it from my perspective. As someone who is use to walking down a hall, or taking an elevator to get breakfast or a snack at all hotels pre disney, it's a big shock at the amount of walking at this hotel. It seems this way at the values and moderates. People who have always enjoyed Disney see it as the norm. I saw normal rooms at alligator bayou that seemed like they were in another state they were so far away from the food court ( i'm not joking).
BabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #2367
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

I never thought I would like the AB section either. We are doing a 13 night trip (FD BB)coming up here soon and I knew we should book preferred since it's such a long trip and we will be pretty tired a few days in. This June DH and I stayed 3 nights and ended up in AB and LOVED it. The theme of the room wouldn't be my first pick, however the grounds over there are just as amazing as in the mansion section. POR is one of my favorite resorts. If we aren't doing DVC this is where you will find us!

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #2368
brinafair
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniam View Post
What's the weather like during mid-March? We've only been during the summer. Is it warm enough to swim? We're from Texas, so we're used to warm weather.

Just booked at POR the other day for March

We were there first week of March in 2013 (I know you said mid-March but just trying to be helpful )...

The first day of arrival we froze! (We're from NC and it was still quite cool at home then.) It was a damp, cool day with the wind blowing. Each of us brought a hoodie and wore it and shivered throughout the day. Our toddler stayed in the stroller, wrapped up in layered clothes and a fleece blanket.

The very next day and throughout the rest of our trip, we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was sunny, warm and around 80 degrees. One of those sunny days was quite windy but it wasn't enough to slow us down. It was a great time of year to visit!

I would recommend at least one jacket and pair of pants per person, just in case!

Our Crew: Me (35), The Hubby (35), G (10) N (8) J (3)
WDW 1994, 2013, returning Fall 2014, March 2015

brinafair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #2369
brinafair
Mouseketeer

Dear POR veterans,

We're getting down to the nitty gritty and I'm starting to sweat the details. Our stay in 32 days (but who's counting?!) will be our first trip staying on site.

I have been studying POR transportation threads. It's got me a bit nervous. Would you help me with some specifics so this OCD mama can make a plan and relax a bit?

MK: Want to be there early and watch the welcome show and get a jump in line. Drive our car or ride bus? If riding bus, what time should we plan to be in line for the bus? If we drive, what time should we leave considering the drive to the park & the boat ride from the parking area?

HS: 8:05 am character breakfast. Drive our car or ride bus? What time should we plan to be in line for the bus?

AK: Would like to be there early and stay til close at 5. Dinner at Downtown Disney at 7:30. Drive our rely on bus? I'll be a stress case if we end up waiting a long time for a bus. (I'm thinking it would be nice to ride the boat to DD for dinner.)

EPCOT, I'm not really sweating. I want to be there at park open, but as long as we're close, it's fine.

Last day, MK + MNSSHP: How are the buses on the MNSSHP nights?

Would appreciate any input!

Signed,
One Excited & Anxious Mama

p.s. Don't feel too sorry for my hubby. All he has to do is show up. Once I have a plan, I will be able to relax and enjoy!

Our Crew: Me (35), The Hubby (35), G (10) N (8) J (3)
WDW 1994, 2013, returning Fall 2014, March 2015

brinafair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #2370
soniam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinafair View Post
We were there first week of March in 2013 (I know you said mid-March but just trying to be helpful )... The first day of arrival we froze! (We're from NC and it was still quite cool at home then.) It was a damp, cool day with the wind blowing. Each of us brought a hoodie and wore it and shivered throughout the day. Our toddler stayed in the stroller, wrapped up in layered clothes and a fleece blanket. The very next day and throughout the rest of our trip, we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was sunny, warm and around 80 degrees. One of those sunny days was quite windy but it wasn't enough to slow us down. It was a great time of year to visit! I would recommend at least one jacket and pair of pants per person, just in case!
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I needed. Sounds like our, Austin, TX, typical Spring Break weather. It's either nice (high 70s-mid 80s) or it's cold (<low 70s) and raining. I'll need to plan on swimming not being a guarantee then.

WDW- 3/2015 (Port Orleans Riverside), 7/2014 (Polynesian), 6/2012 (Polynesian), DL- 6/2013, Universal- 3/2015 (Royal Pacific)
DCL- 8/2014 (7 night Fantasy WC Itinerary C), RCCL- 2/2010 (7 night Voyager WC), 4/2003 (7 night Voyager WC), 4/1998 (7 night Enchantment EC)
soniam is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: