Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #1816
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
We had a great room.. Building 24 corner room.. it was like 20 steps from our door to our car. it was just like our own little house
The West Depot is right there too but we drove everywhere.
It was maybe a 5 minute walk to the mainhouse but it is a beautiful walk, we did it daily for the pool and food and didn't complain once..
You know, I sometimes think that the people who request building 14 to be right next to the food court can actually miss out on some of the enjoyment of being at Riverside.

I know that with small kids the reduced walking is a real plus, but perhaps when you walk straight from room to food court to bus stop, you actually miss a whole load of charming features that you might otherwise find by chance as you stroll around the resort.

However someone please remind me I said that when I get back from late EMH at the MK completely exhausted though!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #1817
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenalbrandi View Post
Hello! We are staying at POR for our upcoming August trip. We are Disney veterans, but this is our first stay at this resort. I'm working on our window decs and wondered if anyone had the measurements for the windows here? I see from photos they have the segmented panes. Thanks so much for the help!
The outer edge is about 5ft by 5ft, as you say broken up into smaller panes which vary by section (some areas have four large panes, some have 16 smaller ones, some have six).

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #1818
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
You know, I sometimes think that the people who request building 14 to be right next to the food court can actually miss out on some of the enjoyment of being at Riverside.

I know that with small kids the reduced walking is a real plus, but perhaps when you walk straight from room to food court to bus stop, you actually miss a whole load of charming features that you might otherwise find by chance as you stroll around the resort.

However someone please remind me I said that when I get back from late EMH at the MK completely exhausted though!

Andre
Not true "one who is interested will always explore". I found even when I have been so close I still walk around and explore and see the sights. Plus a lot of guests tht have requested to stay at the closest buildings, have had some pretty important medical reasons, either to them selves or others in the family. Allowing family to be close and the others could go explore.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #1819
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Not true "one who is interested will always explore". I found even when I have been so close I still walk around and explore and see the sights. Plus a lot of guests tht have requested to stay at the closest buildings, have had some pretty important medical reasons, either to them selves or others in the family. Allowing family to be close and the others could go explore.
You are both correct! I always explore the resort some, but I feel like if I'm a little further away, I see and do things more often, taking different pathways and things like that. But if I'm close, I'll only head out with my camera once or twice. I sometimes like being "forced" to see more of the resort! I've stayed in Magnolia Bend my last (and only) trip, and I only explored a little of Alligator Bayou, so I wouldn't be disappointed to stay there, but I would also be perfectly happy in a Mansion! We arrive here on the 29th after about a week at All Star Sports.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #1820
1disneychic
Mouseketeer

We are heading out next weekend to POR with my mom and niece. Absolutely can not wait!!! I've been poring over this thread for months and have gotten lots of good info. The only thing that remains confusing is the bus transportation. For anyone who has been recently, I'd like to know the order of the stops specifically for MK. We'd be arriving at the bus stop probably around 8:30 (a little earlier if I can get everyone up and going on time!). I've seen people say West depot as well as South depot as the first stop. I've also seen South depot being the last stop. Although, ideally, we'd like to have one seat on the bus to hold DS, a bag, and the stroller, we don't mind standing. What I really don't want to happen is a bus to go by full--so disappointing to see MK on the bus and then to see it drive on past. Also, does anyone know if the double bus (articulated? might be the better word) has been in service yet? I saw pictures of them earlier and was wondering when they would start running as well as how that would affect transportation at POR. Thanks for any info you can provide!

1disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #1821
Kricketnp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disneychic View Post
We are heading out next weekend to POR with my mom and niece. Absolutely can not wait!!! I've been poring over this thread for months and have gotten lots of good info. The only thing that remains confusing is the bus transportation. For anyone who has been recently, I'd like to know the order of the stops specifically for MK. We'd be arriving at the bus stop probably around 8:30 (a little earlier if I can get everyone up and going on time!). I've seen people say West depot as well as South depot as the first stop. I've also seen South depot being the last stop. Although, ideally, we'd like to have one seat on the bus to hold DS, a bag, and the stroller, we don't mind standing. What I really don't want to happen is a bus to go by full--so disappointing to see MK on the bus and then to see it drive on past. Also, does anyone know if the double bus (articulated? might be the better word) has been in service yet? I saw pictures of them earlier and was wondering when they would start running as well as how that would affect transportation at POR. Thanks for any info you can provide!
Just returned last night...although there were some times it was different, the order we typically saw was West first then North then East and South last.

Didn't see any of the double buses you mentioned but they sound cool!

July 2014: POR August 2011: WL August 2010: Bonnet Creek August 2009: Pop August 2007: Saratoga May 2006: Pop June 2002: Coronado + 14 OP
Kricketnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #1822
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disneychic View Post
Andre has the best information about the bus routes on his website:

http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #1823
Phenomenalbrandi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The outer edge is about 5ft by 5ft, as you say broken up into smaller panes which vary by section (some areas have four large panes, some have 16 smaller ones, some have six). Andre
Thank you so much for this info!! This is such a great thread. Do you know which sections have which style? I have requested Alligator Bayou.
*Nov '97 - Off Site*
*Mar '01 - AS-Mo*
*Mar '03 - Off Site*
*Sept '12 - POP*
*Apr '13 - AS-Sp*
*Oct '13 - SURF AND TURF! AS-Mu + Dream*
Phenomenalbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #1824
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricketnp View Post
Just returned last night...although there were some times it was different, the order we typically saw was West first then North then East and South last.
Correct, for MK the route is normally West, North, East, South, then park. Other parks generally do South first. But it does vary occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenalbrandi View Post
Thank you so much for this info!! This is such a great thread. Do you know which sections have which style? I have requested Alligator Bayou.
Ground floor AB rooms have the four large panes, while upstairs rooms have each of those split into four smaller panes (so 16 panes in all):

Andre

Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #1825
kgoodb00
Disney Fanatic

Just booked my stay for October! I will be staying at POR from the 21st to the 25th. Can't wait!!

Me DH DS(13) DD(10)

BCV:07/2005--POP:03/2007--POFQ:03/2011--CBR:04/2012 --BC:06/2013--YC/WL:10/2014

kgoodb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #1826
WDWdadof3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Correct, for MK the route is normally West, North, East, South, then park. Other parks generally do South first. But it does vary occasionally.

So if you're leaving for MK early in the morning, is there a good chance the bus will be full by the time it reaches the South Depot? We're staying in a Royal Room and it seems like South is the closest to us followed by West - would it be worthwhile to walk over to the West Depot in order to reduce the chance that the bus will pass us by?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #1827
joannamet
Mouseketeer

South is always the most crowded so when getting on the bus its probably worth a little bit of an extra walk to use a different stop. Getting off, use the closest stop.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1828
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWdadof3 View Post
So if you're leaving for MK early in the morning, is there a good chance the bus will be full by the time it reaches the South Depot? We're staying in a Royal Room and it seems like South is the closest to us followed by West - would it be worthwhile to walk over to the West Depot in order to reduce the chance that the bus will pass us by?
From a standard Royal Room, I'd suggest probably the East Depot for getting to the MK. West would be your worst choice. But in the mornings they sometimes lay on extra buses / change routes as buses get full, so there really are no hard-and-fast rules.

Andre

Old 07-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1829
joannamet
Mouseketeer

I booked the Pirate Adventure for the 2 9 year olds in our party, 1 boy and 1 tom-boy girl. It seems very expensive so I'm wondering if its really worth it since it only includes a snack, not lunch. Of course the adults get a couple of hours kid-free so that alone might be worth the price.

Has anyone's kids done the Pirate Adventure? Do you think its worth the cost?
Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #1830
WDWdadof3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
From a standard Royal Room, I'd suggest probably the East Depot for getting to the MK. West would be your worst choice. But in the mornings they sometimes lay on extra buses / change routes as buses get full, so there really are no hard-and-fast rules.

Andre
I agree, thanks for the response. I wrote West by mistake in my original post. West makes no sense as it's on the complete opposite side of the resort from the RRs.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: