Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #1606
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Anyone know...

If we booked with a wedding discount (guests not the wedding party) will we be put in a certain block of rooms? I have no preference on where we are located. It's our first time at POR, so I'm open to any location. I'm more wondering because I know my in-laws would like to be next door, but I don't know if we would need to request that.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #1607
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
Anyone know... If we booked with a wedding discount (guests not the wedding party) will we be put in a certain block of rooms? I have no preference on where we are located. It's our first time at POR, so I'm open to any location. I'm more wondering because I know my in-laws would like to be next door, but I don't know if we would need to request that.
I would add the request to be near each other or even add a "traveling with" note to each of your reservations.

In our experience with wedding package rooms from Disney in California they were spread all over the resort. The wedding package dealt more with pricing (and meeting minimums for the wedding) than location.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #1608
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
I would add the request to be near each other or even add a "traveling with" note to each of your reservations.

In our experience with wedding package rooms from Disney in California they were spread all over the resort. The wedding package dealt more with pricing (and meeting minimums for the wedding) than location.
I agree. I got married in February and we had our room block at POR. I expected them to all be next to each other but they were spread out all over. I would definitely add a request for whatever you're looking for!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |
SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #1609
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll add a request.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #1610
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #1611
bobbie68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Has anyone stayed in the Parterre Place princess rooms? We're checking in on Friday (2 rooms) and I have a feeling we'll be in that building. Is it a far walk to the food court/bus? Based on the maps online it looks like a good distance to the bus…thoughts?? I'm guessing/hoping we'll have connecting rooms but not sure if we'd rather that or to be in Oak Manor if they can accommodate that.
Yes I did. I did not find it a far walk. We enjoyed it. It is about 5 minutes. We always caught the bus at the central and it was fine. Really Oak Manor is not that much difference in distance. I liked Parterre Place. It was quiet and it was closer to POFQ.
bobbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #1612
jcyoung
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

Andre
Awesome! I really hope this test works and they decide to make this the way they do it permanently! Sounds like a GREAT idea! Thanks for the update Andre!

Me DH DD(7) DS(6) DS(4)
jcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #1613
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Interesting about the check-in trial. Sounds cool. I'm guessing the normal welcome packet will be waiting in the room.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #1614
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyoung View Post
Awesome! I really hope this test works and they decide to make this the way they do it permanently! Sounds like a GREAT idea! Thanks for the update Andre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
Interesting about the check-in trial. Sounds cool. I'm guessing the normal welcome packet will be waiting in the room.
If this test is a success in Disney's view it won't be so awesome or cool for the front desk CM's who get laid off.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #1615
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
If this test is a success in Disney's view it won't be so awesome or cool for the front desk CM's who get laid off.
Good point. Perhaps the job description will just change though..as CMs will still be needed to help when the tech doesn't work, or for the zillions of questions that folks are going to have anyway.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #1616
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

Quote:

Andre
Thank you for this report. I understand this is a test/trial, but personally, the potential of this change does not thrill me. What happened to the personal touch of disney? I understand some people may see this as a plus by being able to get into the room quickly, or whatever. I thought that was the purpose of online check-in, or maybe this will replace online check-in (??), which we opt not to do each trip. But what about personal interaction when entering a resort? Or the magical disney feeling? In general, it upsets me the direction of these changes, as they are moving to have everything operated by technology and taking away the human contact. But that's just me.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #1617
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie68 View Post
Yes I did. I did not find it a far walk. We enjoyed it. It is about 5 minutes. We always caught the bus at the central and it was fine. Really Oak Manor is not that much difference in distance. I liked Parterre Place. It was quiet and it was closer to POFQ.
Thanks! I usually stay at POFQ bc of it's size and better bus luck IMO but my friends wanted to try the Royal Rooms for their two DD's so we figured we'd try it for two nights and if we don't like it then we'll go back to POFQ or CSR Business Class lol
Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #1618
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggr924 View Post
Thank you for this report. I understand this is a test/trial, but personally, the potential of this change does not thrill me. What happened to the personal touch of disney? I understand some people may see this as a plus by being able to get into the room quickly, or whatever. I thought that was the purpose of online check-in, or maybe this will replace online check-in (??), which we opt not to do each trip. But what about personal interaction when entering a resort? Or the magical disney feeling? In general, it upsets me the direction of these changes, as they are moving to have everything operated by technology and taking away the human contact. But that's just me.
I think it's great for the family who has stayed at the resort many times and knows their way around/in a rush to get to a park but going to the front desk never seemed like an issue for me IMO. It's nice to get the packet of info including parking pass, resort activities, etc. A few times I was greeted at the door by a CM with iPad and never went to a desk, they just brought my packet out and tested my MB's with the iPad to make sure they were active which was sufficient to me.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #1619
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post

There will be no layoffs, Disney is constantly hiring new people.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #1620
FungLu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014. To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance. Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk. Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience. See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info. Andre
Rats! Miss it by four days.
I do love the cm interaction, but after flying eight hours, magical express for 90 min, and in general hungry, tired, and a little cranky, it would be an act of mercy on the cm's to bypass interaction with me
FungLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: