Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #1546
abmitch01
DIS Veteran

location question

I asked to be as close to the main building as possible and was told to reserve a Royal Room so I did that. When I called about dropping the meal plan yesterday, they told me it would be a 15 minute walk to the main building. I asked then to be in a preserved room, they are booked. I'm confused, I thought the Royal rooms were daily close to the lobby once you cross that bridge? any suggestions? we're traveling mid August. Oh, also when I made the reservation the man said we would be in building 90. Yesterday they told me the rooms aren't assigned yet.
abmitch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #1547
tabm01
Mouseketeer

Are there any computers for use here? I want to look at my memory maker pics
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #1548
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmitch01 View Post
I asked to be as close to the main building as possible and was told to reserve a Royal Room so I did that. When I called about dropping the meal plan yesterday, they told me it would be a 15 minute walk to the main building. I asked then to be in a preserved room, they are booked. I'm confused, I thought the Royal rooms were daily close to the lobby once you cross that bridge? any suggestions? we're traveling mid August. Oh, also when I made the reservation the man said we would be in building 90. Yesterday they told me the rooms aren't assigned yet.
All I can say is WOW! You got a bunch of bad information there. Where to begin....

First let me say that there is no room at POR that would be a 15 minute walk to the lobby/food court etc. Check out the link below for a map of POR.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

The Royal Rooms are in the Oak Terrace and Pantere Place buildings in red. As you can see, once you cross the bridge the lobby is right there.

You will not know what building/room you'll be in until you arrive. The rooms are assigned about 2-3 days prior to your arrival, but you won't find out your room number until you actually arrive. The preferred rooms are the closest to the lobby in the blue buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #1549
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
As already noted....no room is a 15 min walk to the food court/main area! I was in bldg 34, which is wayyyy in the back of the resort. Took me 8 mins to get to the food court from my room...just not a big deal.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #1550
abmitch01
DIS Veteran

you've relieved me! thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #1551
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
As already noted....no room is a 15 min walk to the food court/main area! I was in bldg 34, which is wayyyy in the back of the resort. Took me 8 mins to get to the food court from my room...just not a big deal.
Whats up Goofy, haven't seen ya around!

Quote:
you've relieved me! thanks
Yeah I was in Oak Manor and it was maybe 5 Minutes from those Royal Rooms and I was right by the main foot bridge there. Parts of the Parterre Building also are right in front of the foot bridge. If you use my fax template in my thread and fax them you may be able to get them to try and place you close to that as possible. With a little pixie dust of course!
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #1552
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
yikes!! They don't know which building you'll be in this far out!! It will be in one of 2! That's all they'd know! I'd add a room request onto you reservation asking to be close to a foot bridge, as others mentioned, you won't be far from the main buildings!! Enjoy your stay!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #1553
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
15 minutes is a huge stretch. I'm in a Royal Room in Parterre now and even exhausted and 2 kids in tow the walk from main building is only about 5 minutes. Maybe tack on another 5 minute if you're on the far ends.

We checked in yesterday morning and for the past 2 mornings DME has left envelopes on my door. There was one when I first got to the room (intended for the next room) and this morning there was one for a room down the hall. Both times I just delivered them to the right rooms myself...no biggie but I just found it weird and comical. I think they want me gone and I just got here lol. I wonder if I'll get a letter delivered to my room or someone else's room when it's actually my turn lol.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #1554
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Whats up Goofy, haven't seen ya around!
Oh, I've just been hanging over on Transportation! But now that I'm heading down (tomorrow!!!!!) figured I would see what's shaking on the POR thread. I checkin there on June 7!!! Can't wait...dd and I will be going back to our first WDW resort....it was DxLs back then. Still holds a very special place in our hearts!!!! Booked a nice basic standard room...no fax for me. Let the pieces fall where they may! I love going to the room and seeing what I ended up with!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #1555
abmitch01
DIS Veteran

are you liking POR?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #1556
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

We are here now on our first stay at POR and loving it! We arrived at 9am yesterday morning. We had done pre-registration, so the check-in process went very quickly. A CM named Aimee checked me in and she was very sweet. In fact, to my surprise, she said that our room was already ready! We were thrilled as this saved us some time yesterday.

We are in a corner room in Acadian House, very convenient to a parking lot, so loading and unloading our van was a snap. Only two very minor issues we've had so far...and one turned out to not be an issue at all. Upon checking in Aimee asked me was I aware of the boats that go back and forth to DTD. I told her that I was and that we planned to take the boat for our dinner reservations at Raglan Road. Then she told me that due to construction at DTD the boat service stopped at 5pm. This was disappointing because we really wanted to have that experience. Well, as it turned out she was completely wrong. I noticed people boarding the boats at 6pm, so we got in line and by 6:30pm we were on a boat to DTD! Made it to our Raglan Rpad ADR with 30 minutes to spare!

We love our room but only slightly disappointed with one thing: It's a handicap accessible room, so I only has one sink and no bathtub. We wife has some health issues and takes frequent baths so this was a bit of a snag for her. Other than that, this place is absolutely stunning! We like it much better than CSR and we will definitely be back!

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
alan_renfroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #1557
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_renfroe View Post
We are here now on our first stay at POR and loving it! We arrived at 9am yesterday morning. We had done pre-registration, so the check-in process went very quickly. A CM named Aimee checked me in and she was very sweet. In fact, to my surprise, she said that our room was already ready! We were thrilled as this saved us some time yesterday. We are in a corner room in Acadian House, very convenient to a parking lot, so loading and unloading our van was a snap. Only two very minor issues we've had so far...and one turned out to not be an issue at all. Upon checking in Aimee asked me was I aware of the boats that go back and forth to DTD. I told her that I was and that we planned to take the boat for our dinner reservations at Raglan Road. Then she told me that due to construction at DTD the boat service stopped at 5pm. This was disappointing because we really wanted to have that experience. Well, as it turned out she was completely wrong. I noticed people boarding the boats at 6pm, so we got in line and by 6:30pm we were on a boat to DTD! Made it to our Raglan Rpad ADR with 30 minutes to spare! We love our room but only slightly disappointed with one thing: It's a handicap accessible room, so I only has one sink and no bathtub. We wife has some health issues and takes frequent baths so this was a bit of a snag for her. Other than that, this place is absolutely stunning! We like it much better than CSR and we will definitely be back!
Did you ask if there was a non handicap accessible room available instead?

I just switched us from CSR to POR so I'm glad to hear you like it better. :-) Can you briefly say why?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #1558
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post

Did you ask if there was a non handicap accessible room available instead?

I just switched us from CSR to POR so I'm glad to hear you like it better. :-) Can you briefly say why?

We didn't ask because we were happy with the room otherwise and its proximity to the parking lot.

Things I liked better about POR: I like the grounds better, I like the easy drive to Epcot and DTD, and I like that their aren't any conventioneers here....just to name a few. I actually think it's much prettier.

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
alan_renfroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #1559
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_renfroe View Post
We didn't ask because we were happy with the room otherwise and its proximity to the parking lot. Things I liked better about POR: I like the grounds better, I like the easy drive to Epcot and DTD, and I like that their aren't any conventioneers here....just to name a few. I actually think it's much prettier.
Glad you're enjoying it! Have a magical time!! :-)

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #1560
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
are you liking POR?
Oh yes, quite a bit. I didn't think I'd like the theme here (NOLA isn't my thing), but I see why POR is a favorite among so many. It's very nice here and especially fun and pretty at night. I'll do a trip report in a few days. So far, I'm really enjoying it here.

Last edited by Ravenne; 05-31-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: