Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #136
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Breakfast - Captain's Grille @ The Yacht Club

I had never been to Captain's Grille before, but I was excited to try them out for breakfast.

Our server her was wonderful and explained our options. They offered either a buffet or an a la carte menu. Megan ended up going with the buffet, and I decided to order off the menu.

In my never ending quest to order anything that has hollandaise sauce on it, I went with this...

Poached Eggs - Lump crab salad, prosciutto, potato rosti, and herb hollandaise $13.99

This could have used some more crab salad, and a bit more hollandaise for my liking, but was pretty tasty.

I also ordered a vanilla latte...

And here are Megan's items from the buffet...

French toast, Mickey waffles, and some potato casserole. This potato casserole was much better than the one at Crystal Palace, and was closer to what we are used to having from home!

Fresh Fruit

Mini frittata and a pastry.

Overall, we had a nice and tasty breakfast and it was SUPER QUIET in here. There are several other items on their menu I would like to try, so I wouldn't hesitate to go back!
JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #137
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Lunch - Mama Melrose, Fantasmic Package @ Hollywood Studios

Next up, we had lunch at Mama Melrose. This definitely seems to be one of those restaurants that people either love or hate, with very few in the middle. I've always landed in the middle. Its certainly not my favorite restaurant on property, but I enjoy it enough to keep coming back. We had booked the Fantasmic! package here.

Our server was Joann, and unfortunately she lacked any sense of warmth and was very cold and icy. While it is a relatively small gripe, when she came to take our order, she set another table's dirty plates down on our table.

Thankfully, our food here was wonderful and the ambiance does make me feel like I'm sitting in a restaurant on Mulberry Street in New York.

We started our meal off with rolls with a choice of butter or olive oil and spices.

I wish they would start serving slices of Italian bread instead of these rolls. The outsides are crusty and the insides light and fluffy. For me the outsides are just too crusty, and I end up just pulling out the center of the roll.

We also both ordered the Bellini

These are always the perfect mix of the sweet peach with the dry Prosecco and on this particular day, it was really refreshing.

For appetizers, Megan started with this...

Vegetarian Minestrone - with ditalini pasta $ 5.99

This was delicious and LOADED with different varieties of beans, so it is a great source of protein.

I went with...

Crispy Calamari - topped with grilled peppers and onions, served with dipping sauces $10.99

The calamari was thinly sliced and very tender. The batter was crispy, not greasy. I really enjoyed the dipping sauces. One was a basil pesto-y type sauce and the other was a citrus butter. Both paired nicely with the calamari. I didn't care for the spicy marinara.

For entrees, Megan had wanted a simple Alfredo, which they didn't have on the menu. But they did have the option for Penne pasta with a four cheese sauce. On the menu it came with a choice of meatballs or chicken. Megan asked if there was any way she could substitute in shrimp in place of the meat options, since she didn't eat land animals. Joann snapped back a "no." pretty harshly. Given that at the time there were several other dishes on the menu that had shrimp in them, including a flatbread, I didn't think her question was unreasonable. She decided to just go with the noodles and sauce. But then...out came this.

It must have been good, because she ate the whole darn thing!

I ordered my tried and true favorite,

Wild Mushroom Flatbread - roasted cremini and button mushrooms with a garlic-shallot spread and finished with balsamic reduction $12.99

This was so wonderful! It was any mushroom lovers dream! The mushrooms were perfectly brown and tender, but not mushy. The garlic spread was mild, and not overwhelming. I do wish there was a bit more of the balsamic though.
I too polished my plate.

Then out came dessert. I was quite perplexed as we did not order our dessert yet. Joann told us that if you had the Fantasmic! package, you just got a pre-plated dessert and that was it. I explained that while that was true for the standard dining plan, it wasn't for the Deluxe plan (at least not in the several times I have been there, all with the deluxe plan.)

I was incredibly disappointed because I had my heart set on the pistachio gelato. She gave us the "take it or leave it" approach. So we decided to leave it, which was a shame. Unfortunately we didn't care for any of these desserts and if she had explained that to us earlier we just would have gone without dessert altogether. I hate wasting food, so this was quite disappointing. The presentation was beautiful though...

On our way out, the whole dessert thing was really nagging me. I decided to stop at the podium and asked if they had changed the policy with desserts on the Deluxe Dining Plan and the Fantasmic package. The gentleman there, who just happened to be the manager on duty filling in, explained that they had not.

He offered to comp our entire meal, which I felt was a bit of overkill. I didn't even get into the bad attitude and dirty plates incident with him. I simply explained that we had already compensated for our experience in the tip we left for her and I just wanted to know the process for future reservations. Since we wouldn't have been able to use the extra dining credit I told him it was fine, really. In the end we compromised and he comp'd our drinks, which I felt was still overly generous, but we were very appreciative of the service he provided us.

In the end, Fantasmic was rained out that evening, so the whole thing was all for nothing.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #138
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Snacks @ The Boardwalk Bakery

We were absolutely starving after our day at Hollywood Studios and since Fantasmic! had been cancelled on the account of thunderstorms in the area, we arrived at Flying Fish twenty five minutes early and completely soaking wet. We had hoped to at least check in and get out of the rain, but we were actually turned away. So, we ended up grabbing a snack at the Boardwalk in the mean time. This ended up being a huge mistake.

Here is a quick picture of the dessert case...

And what we ended up getting...

We went with the key lime and lemon meringue tarts. Both were FANTASTIC. The key lime had a graham cracker crust and the lemon meringue was a shortbread cookie shell. The shell was very difficult to manage with a knife and fork so I ended up just eating the lemon filling, which was heavenly!

These were excellent little treats and I'm glad we stopped at the bakery because I had actually never been there.

Sadly for us, the service we got inside the little bakery was far superior to that we received at Flying Fish.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #139
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I am reading along !!! Our last experience at Mamma Roasa's was soooo bad I doubt I will ever return, long wait to be seated , slowest service ever , cold food and inattentive service . Why do servers NOT real;ise that bad food can be overlooked if their service is superb.
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #140
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I am reading along !!! Our last experience at Mamma Roasa's was soooo bad I doubt I will ever return, long wait to be seated , slowest service ever , cold food and inattentive service . Why do servers NOT real;ise that bad food can be overlooked if their service is superb.
I totally agree! I can probably ignore mediocre food if I feel like I've been really taken care of.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #141
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Dinner - Flying Fish Cafe @ The Boardwalk

It was absolutely pouring out when we arrived at the Boardwalk. Since Fantasmic! was cancelled, we had originally arrived about 25ish minutes early for our ADR. We had no intention of being seated early, we just wanted to check in and get OUT of the rain. When I stopped at the podium, we were told there was absolutely no way we could check in until 15 minutes before our ADR time and when we went to grab a seat the hostess basically told us we couldn't wait there until it was time to check in.

To say I was beyond annoyed was a bit of an understatement. C'mon lady, its pouring rain outside!

Thankfully, once we were finally permitted to check-in, Joanna was our server and she was absolutely lovely! I was a little worried, since our server's name earlier that day was JoAnn, I was hoping we wouldn't have a repeat and we definitely did not. She was so bright and bubbly and answered all of our questions and made some great suggestions for us.

I definitely wanted the same cocktail I had here on my last trip, so we ordered up two of these babies...

These are the perfect blend of tart and sweet and they go down wayyyyyyyyy to easy. They don't taste strong, but definitely pack a punch, so beware.

For apps, Megan decided to go with this...

Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake - Savory Vegetable Slaw, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, and Ancho Chile Rémoulade $17.00

I was in a sampling mood, so I went with this...

Signature Flying Fish Cafe Appetizer Duo Highlight Item - Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake and Our Very Own Caesar Salad $16.00

The crab cakes were amazing. The portion size of my crab cake was not that much smaller than Megan's which was surprising since hers was more expensive.

The Caesar salad was good, but it didn't actually knock my socks off. The parmesan crisp was a little difficult to eat honestly. As soon as you stabbed it with your fork, it became a bunch of crumbs.

I had a really hard time deciding what I wanted here, which was surprising, since I'm all about the fish. I just wasn't feeling anything on the menu.

Maybe it was my own poor attitude about the weather, compounded by the icy reception at the restaurant. Or perhaps it was the deserts we just scarfed down...

At any rate, we ended up both getting the same thing...

Oak-grilled Maine Sea Scallops - English pea, Pecorino, basil, and mascarpone-laced risotto di carnaroli with prosciutto di parma cracklins $36.00

(Ordered without the prosciutto)

Sadly, our entrees ended up arriving before I had even finished taking a picture of our appetizers. They took them back to the kitchen, but when they reappeared, it was obvious that they had just set them under a heating lamp because the scallops were way overdone and the rice was mush. I was also really disappointed in the presentation of this, it just looked unappealing, which was shocking since our appetizers were beautifully presented. At this point, we were pretty over it, and just figured we would enjoy another dessert to compensate.

Megan ordered...

White Chocolate and Raspberry Creme Brulee - toasted almond biscotti with fresh raspberries $7.00

This was divine! The custard was thick and creamy, and was beautifully balanced with the raspberries.

I had my eye on this...

Trio of Concession Sweets: On the Boardwalk - Popcorn Mousse and Caramel Corn, Cherry-Limeade Popsicle, and S'Mores Whoopie Pie Lollipop $9.00

I loved this! I was a little concerned about the popcorn mousse, but it had a beautiful butter flavor and great texture. The homemade caramel corn put this over the top!

The S'Mores whoopee pie was also excellent. It was a graham cracker whoopee, with marshmallow cream and chocolate. It was the perfect little bite.

The only criticism I have is that the popsicle was super tart (and I like tart!) It was pretty overwhelming so I only managed a few tastes.

Thank goodness our server was so wonderful, otherwise I'm not sure I would return. Our appetizers and desserts were certainly highlights, but the entrée was really unacceptable in my book. They should have re-made our entrées when they arrived out and it was clear we wouldn't be ready for them for awhile.

I can't say I would never return in the future, but I might skip Flying Fish on our next trip which is a shame, as this was one of my favorite restaurants from last trip!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #142
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Breakfast - Cinderella's Royal Table @ Magic Kingdom

This particular morning, it was quite gloomy outside, so we were delighted to be able to head into Cinderella's Royal Table to enjoy breakfast.

Love the little details everywhere!

Before we knew it, it was time to head up the magic staircase...

We had a great view form our table...

Now, a little back story...

About a week or so before Megan and I left on our trip, she FINALLY landed a job where she was actually able to use her degree after over a year of looking. This was a huge thing for her, and so I wanted to do something special for her to celebrate.

While we were at Epcot a few days before, I had been playing phone tag with the cake hotline ALL day trying to arrange a surprise for Megan here. Every time the cake lady we would call we were on a ride or otherwise doing something that I couldn't just walk away and take her call.

Finally she happened to call when we were wandering around The Seas, so I pretended like it was my mom on the phone and stepped outside for a few minutes to take care of everything.

When we were seated the waitress came up and the first thing she asked was "So, who got the new job?"

I wanted to bury my head in my lap and just give up.

Other than her faux pas, she was actually delightful, but Megan definitely knew something was up.

Our server brought out some breakfast pastries. I wanted to cry a little over the fact there were no more chocolate croissants to be had, but was comforted by the fact that the new pastries were amazing.

First up was the blueberry Mickey muffin...

Usually I'm not a blueberry muffin fan, but these were amazing. Maybe its just because anything in the shape of Mickey automatically tastes better.

Next up was a little caramel-y nutt-y thing which was divine!

Then out came breakfast. Megan ordered this...

Caramel Apple Stuffed French Toast - Decadent French Toast stuffed with sweet Cream Cheese, baked with Caramel Apples, and drizzled with a Calvados Caramel Sauce

This wasn't so much like a stuffed French toast as it was more of a French toast bake, almost like a slightly dry bread pudding. It was NOTHING like the former cream cheese stuffed French toast with the berry sauce. It had hunks of apple mixed throughout, but didn't have any filling in the middle.

I ordered this...

Lobster and Crab Crepes - warm cheese-filled crepes topped with spinach, sauteed lobster, and blue crab meat with a poached egg perched on top and draped in Hollandaise sauce

I asked for extra Hollandaise sauce, but it came on the side. It wasn't nearly enough for my liking.

The decadent amounts of lobster and crab and the light fluffy crepes made up for it though. The egg was poached perfectly, even though it looked a little sketchy at first. I just wish there was more sauce!

After Megan finished her breakfast, our server brought out her surprise...

I was lucky enough to snag a few bites and it was HEAVENLY! This is real deal chocolate mousse and it was incredible and rich.

This may also be one of the best deals on property for a little surprise like this, it cost a whopping $12.50. That's right folks, TWELVE dollars. It was so worth it, in my opinion!

Last edited by JessicaKnits; 07-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #143
wrestlingchick26
Mouseketeer

The surprise plate looks amazing, I'd love to do it for my friend. Do you have any information?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #144
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingchick26 View Post
The surprise plate looks amazing, I'd love to do it for my friend. Do you have any information?
Sure! I ordered it through the "Cake Hotline." Their number is 407-827-2253. I know when I ordered they said they needed three days advance notice, but I would call as early as you can.

Here is a little blurb from the cake thread here about the dessert...

Where can I get the chocolate Cinderella Slipper Dessert?
The Cinderella Slipper Dessert is available at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary Resort, and Cinderella's Royal Table at the Magic Kingdom. It is usually white chocolate, but Cinderella's Royal Table occasionally offers it in milk chocolate.

I was able to order the slipper with dark chocolate, no issues!

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #145
wrestlingchick26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKnits View Post
Sure! I ordered it through the "Cake Hotline." Their number is 407-827-2253. I know when I ordered they said they needed three days advance notice, but I would call as early as you can. Here is a little blurb from the cake thread here about the dessert... Where can I get the chocolate Cinderella Slipper Dessert? The Cinderella Slipper Dessert is available at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary Resort, and Cinderella's Royal Table at the Magic Kingdom. It is usually white chocolate, but Cinderella's Royal Table occasionally offers it in milk chocolate. I was able to order the slipper with dark chocolate, no issues! Hope this helps and hope you enjoy!
Thank you my friend is going to flip out!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #146
lacy1101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
Um, jungle juice mimosas?!? This is very important information, thank you.
Will definitely be trying those in October!

Oct. ‘94 Caribbean Beach * Oct. ‘99 All-Star Music * Oct. ’02 All-Star Movies * Oct. ‘05 Pop Century * March ‘08 NSBA Conf. w/DH (2 days off property) * August '08 Pop Century * October ‘09 All-Star Sports * November '10 Caribbean Beach; * Sept. '11 Pop Century * November '11 Wilderness Lodge * November '12 POFQ * October '13 AKV Jambo House 25th Anniversary Trip * November '13 Coronado Springs * October '14 Caribbean Beach (to visit daughter in DCP) * December '14 Wilderness Lodge (Christmas w/daughter in DCP)
lacy1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #147
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Awesome pix . I have only eaten supper at Cinderellas'Palace , it was my grandaughters 16th birthdaYS ,, YES THE tWINS, I ordered them each a slipper and no one squelled , they loved them and shared with their brother . I really enjoyed the meal the food , the service just everything was perfect, and yes the price for the slipper is amazing !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #148
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingchick26 View Post
Thank you my friend is going to flip out!
You're welcome! I hope thy enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacy1101 View Post
Will definitely be trying those in October!
Definitely worth a try! They're delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Awesome pix . I have only eaten supper at Cinderellas'Palace , it was my grandaughters 16th birthdaYS ,, YES THE tWINS, I ordered them each a slipper and no one squelled , they loved them and shared with their brother . I really enjoyed the meal the food , the service just everything was perfect, and yes the price for the slipper is amazing !!
I have never tried Cinderella's for dinner, but hope to in the future!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #149
Disney_Mama
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #150
disney meema
DIS Veteran

So happy to find your review and just got caught up ... Loving so many of your cocktails and appetizers : ) I was wondering what the name of the cocktail was at flying fish? It looked really fabulous. Too bad about the scallops being put under the warming/heat lamp and becoming dry, yikes you'd think they'd know better since it's such a fine line between a perfectly cooked scallop and a dry scallop before a heat lamp as it is.
We are also doing the mama Melrose fantasmic lunch and hoping we don't get your server as well as the rain storm canceling the show, bummer. Sure hope you were able to go to another show during your trip.
Loved the slipper you ordered for your friend, looks amazing! Following along and enjoying your pictures and descriptions of your dining at disney, and your both just beautiful girls : )
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: