Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Family of 5.....

We are a family five and I am looking for the best place to stay and not kill each other. My oldest child is 15 and 6'3 already. I also have a 10 y.o. and 6 y.o. Renting DVC points is also an option for us. Hoping for some good ideas from the DIS!

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

The most economical would be a room at POR in the Alligator Bayou section.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

We are traveling with a group of 5 in May (me and 4 young adults). We debated between the Cabins at Fort Wilderness and a 1 Bedroom Villa at OKW. We ended up going with the 1 Bedroom Villa.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
minnierocks
DIS Veteran

If you are looking not to kill each other, there is no way that I would recommend staying in POR. We have done it with 2 teens but I think that 5 would be a tight fit. I know nothing about renting DVC points but I would suggest a family suite at either ASMusic or AoA. Cabins at Fort Wilderness sleep 6, but I don't like the sleeping config and you will still only have one bathroom. A cheaper alternative would be to rent two rooms at a value resort (try to get connecting although they are not guaranteed) and let the older two kids stay in the other room.
Spring Break Trip 2011
Thanksgiving 2008
Thanksgiving 2007
*October 2006...Keys to the Kingdom
Keys to the Kingdom TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&page=1&pp=15

*Thanksgiving 2005
*February 2004
minnierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

POR is ok with elementary aged kids, but I think would be far too small with older kids. It may work for you sine only one is a teen.

Any villa (through DVC) that sleeps five or more or has multiple rooms should be more then enough space for your family, although it can get pricey.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

Have you looked at the art of animation. It is a value resort but with family suites

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
eliz603
Mouseketeer

Family of five here. My DH is 6'3", so I understand the height issues here!

For us, something like POR is just waaaay too tight. Did one night there last year with one in a PnP. Just not feasible for us.

We REALLY like staying in the DVC villas. BLT last year was amazing. Staying at OKW this year as BLT didn't have any rooms available, plus it was the cheapest option. We prefer NOT to rent points for a variety of reasons, although I've heard great things about doing that route $$ was. This year, our PIN discount was slightly cheaper than renting points from the major dealers. We also prefer daily mousekeeping, which is not something you get through points. If you are considering renting points versus going direct with Disney, I would just scout out some objective information and see what works best for your family.

But back to being in the villas - we are doing a 1 bedroom again, so we'll have the bedroom and the kids will be in the living room on the fold outs. OKW and BLT (and others, but not sure which ones) have both a fold out sofa and a fold out chair. I was impressed with the mattresses last year at BLT as they weren't your standard thin mattress with a rail in the middle.

We are spending our first night at AoA in a family suite before moving on to OKW. Two of my kids are the same age as yours, and they're excited about the theming. The room is about half as big as the 1 bedroom OKW, but it's larger than a standard room.

If you are open to offsite, check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It's just barely off site. We were looking at getting a 3 bedroom through a 3rd party vendor (one of those who buys points then rents out the rooms to others like me!), and it would have been slightly less than our 1 bedroom OKW.

BLT 2013, POR 2013, Grand Californian 2010, Contemporary 2009, Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Lodge 2006, Beach Club 1996, CBR1995, Wilderness Lodge 1995, prior visits CBR, The Disney Inn, Disney Villas, plus lots of day trips back to 1982!

eliz603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I say a 1 bedroom at either BLT, AKV, or OKW. On the one hand, OKW is the largest of the DVC villas so that is nice. BUT, with AKV (Kidani) and BLT, you get the second bathroom, which is probably worth more.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
LeahA
DIS Veteran

I would suggest either to rent DVC points or stay at a Deluxe that offers 2 queens and a daybed. We've done a 1 bedroom at AKL and have had plenty of room as well as a room at POLY. Sure it's more expensive but I like the little extra space to stretch out. We are staying this time at POR but my oldest is not coming with us so there will be 4 of us. You are like us basically you have 3 adult sizes people and 2 kids, if my oldest was coming I don't think we would've stayed there. We all need our wiggle room!
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Your budget makes a big difference. Honestly, I find DVC villas to be too expensive, even on rented points.
If you want to save money but be on property I would go for 2 value rooms, followed by the all stars music suites. Not only are those your cheapest options, you can shut the door if 2 kids just can't get along or whatever. After that, you have to look at what discounts you get, we have stayed at the YC for less than the Art of Animation suites or the cabins for the same dates. This year we are doing the Poly for less than AoA on the same dates. When I price out DVC points I always end up with a higher price than we are paying for a room that fits 5.
I know the GF DVC is supposed to fit 5 in a standard room, I've not looked into those for size or price.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

I think the non DVC options are:
value- AoA suites or pop family suites
moderates- Cabins or POR bayou
deluxe- Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Contemporary or Grand Floridian

good luck!

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferma View Post
I think the non DVC options are:
value- AoA suites or pop family suites
moderates- Cabins or POR bayou
deluxe- Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Contemporary or Grand Floridian

good luck!
No suites at Pop. There are some at ASMusic.
lovesdumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
brekken1
Mouseketeer

The suites at AOA offer more room than POR. The two bathrooms are really nice for a large family. The small kitchen area worked great for us when preparing quick breakfasts before heading out to the parks.
brekken1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLabradors View Post
We are a family five and I am looking for the best place to stay and not kill each other. My oldest child is 15 and 6'3 already. I also have a 10 y.o. and 6 y.o. Renting DVC points is also an option for us. Hoping for some good ideas from the DIS!
I also have a family of 5. I really enjoyed the family suites at AoA!

I would not recommend POR. I just returned from a trip that consisted of DD 3 and my mom and myself and it was fine for us, however, I don't think I would cram my family of 5 in there!

DH really wants to try offsite. We are looking into renting at Windsor Hills for our next family vacation. You get 3+ bedrooms for around the price of a mod.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We too are a family of 5.
On our first trip, ,many years ago, we stayed in the FW Cabins. I loved it. The campground is amazing and the accommodations were great. There is a double bed and a bunk set in the bedroom. This is plenty of room for your children. There is a pull down Murphy Bed in the LR that DH and I used. It was perfect. I loved the extra space of the LR and having a kitchen allowed us to have cold drinks, breakfast, and snacks in the cabin, which saved us money as well.
We have since become DVC owners. I love our Villas. If the Cabins don't work for you I would consider a DVC Villa. Having a full kitchen will save you some money even if you don't cook a lot of meals in. The washer and dryer allows me to pack lighter. And I LOVE the king bed in the Master BR. Having a whirlpool tub is nice as well.
Good Luck in your decision.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: