Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
GoofyJen
Earning My Ears

Insulin pump questions

Hi my family and I are going to DW in August. I am a type 1 diabetic. I have a pump. I have only had diabetes for 6 years even though I am in my mid thirties. This is my first trip to an amusement park since being diagnosed. I want to disconnect my pump on all coasters and waster rides, but where do I stash it till after the ride?
GoofyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
jcano
Mouseketeer

Anyone in the party planning to not ride with you? Maybe take advantage of the child swap as a pump swap? Or you may need to just drop it off at First Aid. My DD kept hers on for most rides. Hers was waterproof, so we didn't have to worry about it getting wet. As for the coasters, none of the ones at MK were wild enough to cause a problem.
Do watch out for the People mover, of all things, due to the magnetic field and ToT for the same reason.
One thing we learned to do was change out the cartridge every night. That reduced problems caused by the heat or extra jiggling.

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
jcano
Mouseketeer

You might want to contact your pump company about a vacation loaner. We always requested one for trips to Disney. They send you another pump in a sealed package. The only way you can unseal it, without having to pay for it , is if your pump isn't working and you are instructed to open the loaner by your pump company's CS. We just left it in the room safe and never actually had to use it, but it was nice to know it was there.

Another T1 thing about Disney, unless you avoid all sweets do not tell them you have diabetes when making dining reservations. I did our first trip thinking it might help get some carb counts. Nope. It just meant they brought my dd fruit for dessert instead of a cupcake. We were constantly fighting the "Diabetics can't have sugar" thinking. Just an added FYI.

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to move this to the general disABILITIES Board ( it ended up on the disABILITIES Community Board).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
GoofyJen
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the quick response. I will definitely call medtronic. Oh my i had no idea about the people mover.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
SMD
DIS Veteran

Will you have a purse or backpack? If you're worried about impact, just put it in your pocket away from the side of the ride. Be sure to check that it's pushed down in the pocket before you stand up. I once lost a pair of glasses that way.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Here's an older thread about insulin pumps - there have been others since then.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1342313

And, if you go about 1/2 way down this page, here is what Disney has to say about magnetic fields.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...-disabilities/

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
jcano
Mouseketeer

For water rides, we have just put her pump in a Ziploc bag inside her SpiBelt. Spibelt may have a waterproof. option. Haven't checked in awhile.

http://www.spibelt.com

Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
GoofyJen
Earning My Ears

I will have my backpack. I know on the Bigfoot rapids at Knotts they have the center that keeps items somewhat dry. Is this the same for the AK ride?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJen View Post
I will have my backpack. I know on the Bigfoot rapids at Knotts they have the center that keeps items somewhat dry. Is this the same for the AK ride?
This picture shows the center compartment at Kali River Rapids. I would say it keeps things somewhat dry, especially if they are in a zip lock or water resistant bag.
Depending on how much stuff is in there, the item could get shook up.

There are also lockers near the entrance to the attraction.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I use an OmniPod now, but even back when I used a Medtronic I wouldn't have left it behind when I got on the ride, even if I disconnected it. I'd just put it in a Ziploc bag (or one of the waterproof sports packs they used to sell at the Medtronic site) and put it in my bag.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
GoofyJen
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the pic. It helped a great deal. I am looking into getting a frio. I think with that and ziplock baggies I should be good.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

I wouldn't bother disconnecting for anything. The roller coasters are all safe, and the people mover's magnetic devices are far too protected to damage your pump.

For rides like Kali or Splash Mountain, we also use a zippy bag in a spi belt. I would absolutely NOT put your pump in that middle compartment. I've had things get completely soaked in there.

Really, if you're using a spibelt and put it in a zippy bag, you're really keeping it away from any park water that you'll encounter.

You didn't mention water parks, but we tend to leave my son's pump in the locker, in something to keep it cool, and then periodically go back to the locker to bolus. But, he also doesn't develop ketones quickly, so we don't worry about it.

I do not believe that Medtronic gives a loaner pump anymore. They used to.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I am on an insulin pump. I never disconnect it on any rides. No need. I do carry a ziploc bag in case of water emergency...water ride, sudden downpour, etc

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: