Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
PapaGoofy
Earning My Ears

Monorail Closure Ending a Bit Early

The last day for the Monorail closure is scheduled to be March 21st.

Family is staying at BLT, and I had written customer service about this closure and my little ones. I received a call from them today giving me this is the date of scheduled maintenance ending.

I thought those of you arriving that last week of March might like to know.
PapaGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGoofy View Post
The last day for the Monorail closure is scheduled to be March 21st.

Family is staying at BLT, and I had written customer service about this closure and my little ones. I received a call from them today giving me this is the date of scheduled maintenance ending.

I thought those of you arriving that last week of March might like to know.
What kind of work was being done exactly?
Figmentforever24 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
PapaGoofy
Earning My Ears

A few of the news and rumors bits have said that it had to do with upgrading the monorail to an automated system?

The customer service person mentioned that the upgrade was to maintain the safety of the guests.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A few of the news and rumors bits have said that it had to do with upgrading the monorail to an automated system?

The customer service person mentioned that the upgrade was to maintain the safety of the guests.
Man I wish they would give the monorail track a proper cleaning. The Epcot rail looked so good after it had been cleaned. But I guess I cant complain since they are actually investing into the monorail.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A few of the news and rumors bits have said that it had to do with upgrading the monorail to an automated system? The customer service person mentioned that the upgrade was to maintain the safety of the guests.
automating the monorail train does not require long closures of the system itself. Yes they have updated the monorail system to an automated one and most of that is done as far as I know. Most of the work that was going on was refurb work. I have seen multiple pictures of work cars on the track at various points throughout the route. I'm sure a bit of cleaning as well as concrete work is being done such as if the concrete needs to be patched because it's cracked or something. The monorails unfortunately are very old and outdated. Disney will not update them or get new ones because the system is so expensive. That's also another reason you have not seen the track expanded at all since Epcot was built it has just gotten too expensive. One of the more recent monorails built in Vegas and Seattle has cost upwards of 20 million a mile for track.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Man I wish they would give the monorail track a proper cleaning. The Epcot rail looked so good after it had been cleaned. But I guess I cant complain since they are actually investing into the monorail.
the work they are doing is strictly MK track no word on the Epcot line at this point.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
the work they are doing is strictly MK track no word on the Epcot line at this point.
Oh I know I was just saying when they cleaned it a few years back. So do you know if they cleaned the inside of the monorails at all? I know last time we went some material was coming off the walls in the car as well as some mold was growing. They cleaned up the inside right....
Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
kneedeep
Loving the Florida life

Quote:
The last day for the Monorail closure is scheduled to be March 21st. Family is staying at BLT, and I had written customer service about this closure and my little ones. I received a call from them today giving me this is the date of scheduled maintenance ending. I thought those of you arriving that last week of March might like to know.
Thanks for sharing! Great news for us since we will be at BLT 3/23-3/30. :-)
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Oh I know I was just saying when they cleaned it a few years back. So do you know if they cleaned the inside of the monorails at all? I know last time we went some material was coming off the walls in the car as well as some mold was growing. They cleaned up the inside right....
I'm not sure if any interior work on the monorails has been done during this. Most of the work as far as I know is on the track.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
automating the monorail train does not require long closures of the system itself. Yes they have updated the monorail system to an automated one and most of that is done as far as I know. Most of the work that was going on was refurb work. I have seen multiple pictures of work cars on the track at various points throughout the route. I'm sure a bit of cleaning as well as concrete work is being done such as if the concrete needs to be patched because it's cracked or something. The monorails unfortunately are very old and outdated. Disney will not update them or get new ones because the system is so expensive. That's also another reason you have not seen the track expanded at all since Epcot was built it has just gotten too expensive. One of the more recent monorails built in Vegas and Seattle has cost upwards of 20 million a mile for track.
Actually the one in Vegas is more like $500 million/mile!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
WallyBear
Earning My Ears

We are heading to BLT in Nov and we chose that hotel in part because of the monorail. Does Disney post information in advance letting guests know when the monorail will be down?
WallyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
mickey2000
Pin trader

I had a BLT for lunch today !

[
][/URL]][/URL][
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
PapaGoofy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyBear View Post
We are heading to BLT in Nov and we chose that hotel in part because of the monorail. Does Disney post information in advance letting guests know when the monorail will be down?
This is the very reason I had contacted Guest Service in the first place. It wasn't announced that the monorail would be down, until well after I had everything booked.

I would think you shouldn't expect any closures, if they have all the maintenance wrapped up this month. I wouldn't think they would have it down again that quickly.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
PapaGoofy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Thanks for sharing! Great news for us since we will be at BLT 3/23-3/30. :-)
We will be there for the same period. Best wishes for a great trip and a fully functional monorail!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure if any interior work on the monorails has been done during this. Most of the work as far as I know is on the track.
Dang it. I was hoping they would clean the inside up real good. I went back in September and I almost didn't want to ride the monorail anymore after what I saw. But like I said before I am glad they are investing in the monorail PERIOD. Any investment is a good investment in my book.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: